Terrorism Update
Show/Hide Search
    Click to Enlarge

Bomb blasts in the North West Frontier Province - 2009

December 28: The Taliban blew up five-room Government primary girls school in the Shabqadar town of NWFP. Senior Police Official Mohammad Riaz Khan said that the school was destroyed when two bombs planted by Taliban militants exploded. A nearby house was also damaged but there were no casualties, Khan added.

December 25: The unidentified militants blew up three schools in separate attacks in Landikotal and Peshawar. Buildings of two Government high schools about 1.5 kilometres apart were blown up in Landikotal. No casualties were reported, as both schools were empty at the time. In the second incident, the militants tried to blow up a Government boys’ high school in Spin Wari village in Peshawar. According to the Police, the blast only damaged the school’s boundary wall.

December 24: Four persons were killed and 24 others injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up near a security post in Peshawar. Peshawar Senior Superintendent of Police (Coordination) Muhammad Alam Shinwari said that four persons, including one Policeman and three civilians, were killed and 24 injured in the attack, which was carried out using a suicide jacket packed with eight kilogrammes of explosives. The bomber struck at the junction of Mall Road and Arbab Road in front of an insurance company’s office, where a Security Force post had been set up to inspect vehicles. A policeman said the bomber was on foot and detonated explosives strapped to his body when Policemen stopped him at the post.

December 22: Three people, including a woman, were killed and another 24 persons injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the main gate of the Peshawar Press Club in Peshawar of NWFP. The building is situated on the Sher Shah Suri Road close to the Cantonment Railway Station. Lady Reading Hospital officials confirmed the toll in the first ever suicide attack in the country aimed specifically at journalists. They said two of the bodies were identified as police constable Riazuddin and a passer-by, Rubina. Rubina, who died of a cardiac arrest, was traveling in a rickshaw close to the press club when the blast occurred. Peshawar Press Club accountant Mian Iqbal Shah succumbed to his injury at the hospital later. Several passers-by, including those travelling in a minibus, were injured in the blast besides Peshawar Press Club employees Yasir, Ayub and Kamran. A photojournalist, Khurram Pervez, also sustained injuries in the blast. Peshawar City Police chief Liaqat Ali Khan told reporters that the suicide attacker had tried to enter the premises. The Police guard at the gate frisked the man and tried to overpower him when he discovered that the person was wearing a suicide vest, however, the bomber detonated his vest during the scuffle. The press club employee Yasir Jamil, who was also injured in the blast said that the suicide bomber was trying to enter the press club when the Police guard stopped him. He said the attacker had an argument with the guard, and blew himself up moments later. He said the bomber had a dark complexion and short height and seemed around 18 to 19 years of age.

December 21: Unidentified militants blew up the Khattako Bridge checkpost on the Shamshato Road in the Urmur Police Station area of Peshawar. The checkpost was manned by four Policemen, but none of them was present when the blast occurred. The Senior Superintendent of Police (Coordination) Muhammad Alam Shinwari said the remote-controlled bomb weighed around one and half kilogrammes.

December 20: A private school building was damaged in a blast in Mathra Police Station area of Peshawar. A Mathra Police Station official said that the blast occurred at around 2 AM (PST) in the Muslim Public School, damaging two rooms, a gate and part of the boundary wall. However, no casualty in the blast was reported.

December 19: A Police patrol party convoy narrowly escaped a roadside bomb blast at a suburban Afridi Garhi locality along the Ring Road-Chughalpura Road in Peshawar of NWFP. Police said the blast occurred when DSP Iftikhar Khan and some constables were passing through the area. The DSP said he was on official duty, adding the bomb went off seconds before the Police patrol party would have reached the spot. Speaking with journalists, Peshawar Senior Superintendent (coordination) Muhammad Alam Shinwari said the explosive device had been planted along the road and was detonated using a remote control, adding it seemed the actual target of the suspected militants was the Police convoy.

December 18: 12 persons, mostly worshippers, were killed and 32 others sustained injuries when a suicide bomber blew up his explosives-laden van near a mosque in the Police Lines in Dir Lower District of NWFP. "The worshipers were coming out after offering the Friday prayers from the Civil Colony mosque in the Police Lines when the suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into the wall," an eyewitness said. "Eleven persons were killed and 32 others injured in the explosion, which occurred at 1:30 PM (PST)," a Police official said. It was the first incident of its kind in Dir Lower, where SFs in the summer crushed a Taliban-led insurgency concentrated in Maidan and Adinzai tehsil (revenue division) of the Dir Lower District.

December 17: A teenage suicide bomber blew himself up at a gathering in Bannu of NWFP, but guests at the ceremony escaped unhurt. Senior Police Official Muhammad Ayub said that it was a "miracle" that no one was killed or injured in the bombing in Essakhel village. "A young boy, aged 13 or 14, blew himself up in the middle of guests who were visiting the house of a local political leader to congratulate him on his return from Haj," Ayub said. The boy was killed by his suicide vest, but Police said it was possible that not all the explosives detonated, while a hand grenade the bomber was carrying was also defused at the scene.

December 11: At least five people were injured when a petrol filling station was blown up through a remote-controlled device in the main town of Lakki Marwat District. The bomb was fitted to a bicycle. The injured included the owner of the station, Naseer Khan, who is a former parliamentarian from PML-N. Others injured were identified as Nazir Muhammad, Qasim Khan, Jan Dad and Sher Muhammad. Lakki Marwat District Police Officer Ayub Khan said the bomb weighed between eight to 10 kilogrammes.

December 7: A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a court in Peshawar, the provincial capital of NWFP, killing 12 people, including two Policemen, and injuring 50 others. It was the second suicide attack on a court in the city in three weeks. The earlier target was the Judicial Complex on the Khyber Road and the bombing claimed 22 lives. The two Policemen who died were identified as head Constable Naseer Ahmed and Assistant Sub-Inspector Ruhullah. The blast damaged the court building and damaged windows of the nearby MPA hostel, petrol station and some other buildings. About half a dozen vehicles and motorcycles were destroyed. Peshawar District Coordination Officer Sahibzada Mohammad Anees said the bomber had come in an auto-rickshaw. He tried to enter the session’s court building, but when the Policeman on duty stopped him for a search, the man blew himself up. Dr Hameed Afridi of the Lady Reading Hospital said that 54 victims had been brought to the hospital. Six of them were brought dead and three others died in the hospital. The condition of six of the inured was critical, he said. Mohammad Tanveer told Dawn that the bomber had used six to seven kilograms of explosives. Parts of his suicide vest, ball bearings and his head and legs have been found.

December 3: A Police official was injured in an explosion at a Police check-post in the Regi area of capital Peshawar. A Police official said the blast created a three feet deep and eight feet wide crater at the site. Bomb Disposal Squad chief Shafqat Malik told reporters that around seven kilograms of explosives were used in the attack. The Senior Superintendent of Police (Coordination), Muhammad Alam Shinwari, said the remote- controlled device was planted at some distance from the check-post.

December 2: The militants blew up a key bridge on the Parachinar-Peshawar Road in Arawali area.

December 1: Dr. Shamsher Ali Khan, the Awami National Party legislator in the NWFP Assembly from Swat, was killed and 13 persons were injured in a suicide attack in his house in the Dherai area of Kabal sub-division. A man with explosives strapped to his body walked unchallenged into the grounds of Khan’s house and blew himself up, killing the legislator, sources said. According to witnesses, the suicide bomber entered Khan’s hujra (guest house) with other people to greet the legislator and as he got closer to the target he blew himself up.

November 26: A remote-controlled bomb blast injured three people, including two Policemen, and destroyed an electricity pylon in Bashirabad area of Peshawar. The Senior Superintendent of Police (Coordination) of Peshawar, Muhammad Alam Shinwari, said that the device had been planted to target Gulbahar SHO Riazul Islam. He said at least two kilogrammes of explosives were used in the attack.

November 19: At least 20 people - including three Policemen - were killed and 50 others injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the main gate of the Judicial Complex on Khyber Road in Peshawar, the NWFP capital. This was the sixth suicide attack in 11 days in the provincial capital.

November 16: Three persons were killed and more than 30 others sustained injuries in a suicide car bombing which targeted the Badaber Police Station on the Kohat Road near Peshawar, the NWFP capital. The powerful blast razed to the ground a mosque, a large portion of the Police Station and three nearby buildings. It also injured some horses in the nearby horse stand and damaged several vehicles in the vicinity. Eyewitnesses said Constable Umer Rahman of the Frontier Constabulary opened fire as he became suspicious about a fast-approaching vehicle near the Badaber Police Station around 7:40am. "When the brave constable opened fire, the explosives stuffed in the vehicle exploded. The soldier also suffered injuries but he is safe and sound," Frontier Constabulary Commandant Zafarullah Khan said. Those killed in the blast were identified as Dilshad from Badaber village, Abdul Mannan from Mohmand Agency and Sher Rahman belonging to the Kurram Agency. Officials of the bomb disposal squad estimated that around 250 kilograms of explosives had been stuffed in the vehicle. This was the fifth incident of its kind in and outside Peshawar during the last eight days.

November 14: At least 15 persons, including a Policeman and a three-year-old child, were killed and another 21 injured when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives-laden vehicle at a Police checkpost in Peshawar, the provincial capital of NWFP, Police and hospital staff said.

November 13: At least 13 people - 10 military personnel and three civilians - were killed and 60 injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up in front of the regional headquarters of the ISI in Peshawar, the NWFP capital. An ISPR statement said the bomber rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into a military check-post on Artillery Road at 6:45am (PST), killing 10 military personnel and three civilians, and injuring 60. The NWFP Inspector General of Police, Malik Naveed, said the vehicle was loaded with around 200 kilograms of explosives. NWFP Information Minister Iftikhar Hussain told the media that nine ISI officials were killed, while three were missing. Hussain also said that surrounding walls and an entire block of the agency headquarters were completely destroyed, while six blocks had been partially damaged.

Ten persons, including nine security officials, were killed and 22 injured in a suicide attack at a Police Station in the Bannu town of Bannu District in the NWFP. A Police official said that a suicide attacker rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into the Bakkakhel Police Station on Miranshah Road - killing seven Security Force personnel, two Frontier Corps troops and a pedestrian. He also said that 22 people, including 19 Policemen, were also injured in the suicide attack. The station is close to the border with North Waziristan. The bomber reportedly struck 25 minutes after the suicide attack on the ISI building in provincial capital Peshawar.

November 12: Two persons were killed and six others were wounded in separate bomb and hand grenade explosions at Gul Bagh and Wuch Bazaar in the Hangu town of Hangu District in the early hours. "Unidentified miscreants had planted explosive devices outside a house in Gul Bagh, which exploded early in the day," a Police official said. He said Waseem died instantly while his father Naseer, mother, two brothers and a sister sustained serious injuries in the explosion. Meanwhile, some miscreants attacked the house of Salamat with hand grenades in Wuch Bazaar. However, members of the family remained unhurt in the attack. Sources said the SFs chased the attackers and killed one of them after an exchange of fire. Later, the SFs arrested another attacker in an injured condition. However, their names could not be ascertained. In a separate incident, unidentified people blew up five empty houses with explosive material in the Shahukhel area. Most of the residents in the area had reportedly vacated their houses due to possible militant attacks.

November 11: A bomb blast at a music shop in the Dir town of Upper Dir District destroyed five shops completely and partially damaged 10 others. The explosives planted by unidentified persons at a music shop in Saleem Market of Dir Bazaar also caused minor injuries to a student. No organisation has claimed responsibility for the blast so far.

November 10: At least 34 persons were killed and nearly 100 others sustained injuries in a powerful car bomb blast at a crowded intersection in the Charsadda bazaar of Charsadda District in the NWFP. Scores of women and children are reported to have died and dozens of shops and vehicles were damaged in the suspected suicide attack. District Police chief Riaz Khan said the explosives were packed in a car parked near the Farooq-i-Azam chowk. He said Police suspected that it was a suicide attack because limbs and shoes of the suspected bomber had been found. Shopkeepers and vendors were preparing to put down the shutters and a large number of people were waiting at a taxi stand when the explosion took place. Seven children and three women were among the dead, Police said.

November 9: Three persons, including a Policeman, were killed and five others sustained injuries when a suicide bomber riding an auto-rickshaw blew himself up at a Police barricade on the Ring Road in the Latifabad area of Peshawar. An eyewitness, Attaullah, told reporters that Policemen deployed at a barricade near a canal signaled an auto-rickshaw to stop around 10:00 am (PST). "A man in his early 20s, having a trimmed beard and wearing brown clothes, came out of the three-wheeler and detonated explosives strapped around his vest," he recalled. Another eyewitness, Sher Afzal, said he saw two people going towards the barricade in a rickshaw a few moments before the blast. Investigators said five to six kilograms of explosives were used in the incident. This was the second suicide bombing in Peshawar during the last 24 hours.

November 8: At least 18 people, including a local councillor heading an anti-Taliban Lashkar (militia), were killed and 44 others injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up in a cattle market at Adezai village, 25 kilometres south of the capital city of Peshawar. Peshawar Senior Superintendent of Police (Operations) Muhammad Karim Khan said that that around eight-to-10 kilograms of explosives were used in the blast. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

November 5: Suspected Taliban militants blew up a girls' school in the Hangu District. Locals said the militants blew up a school and also torched eight houses in Hangu.

November 4: Two alleged suicide bombers accidentally blew themselves up on their way to the PAF Range road, 25 kilometres from Kohat city in the Kohat District. According to Police, the suicide bombers were riding a motorcycle. After apparently slipping on the road, one of the bomber's jacket accidentally exploded. Police teams have recovered the arms, legs and head of one of the bombers.

October 31: Seven shops were destroyed in a bomb blast in the market near the old sabzi Mandi in the Hangu area of NWFP. Police reported no deaths in the attack, but confirmed that seven shops had been destroyed.

October 28: A remote-controlled car bomb killed 117 people – including women and children – and injured around 200 others at the Meena Bazaar in Peshawar. Bomb disposal squad chief Shafqat Malik told reporters that 150 kilograms of explosives were used in the remote-controlled blast. The explosion brought down buildings. A three-storey building and a mosque, Masjid Umme Habiba, situated in the narrow bazaar, caved in while six other structures were engulfed by a huge fire caused by the explosion. Around 12 houses and over 60 shops were gutted while almost 300 other shops and houses were severely damaged due to the powerful explosion at around 12:40 pm. The Meena Bazaar is famous for women’s dresses, cosmetics and children’s garments.

October 23: 15 people were injured in a bombing outside a restaurant in the Hayatabad area of provincial capital Peshawar. The Senior Superintendent of Police, Muhammad Karim Khan, said nine of those injured were being treated at the Hayatabad Medical Complex, while six had already been discharged. Two people were in critical condition, he added. He said the bomb had been planted in a car, adding it had contained around 60 kilograms of explosives. One suspect has been arrested in this connection.

October 20: An explosive device planted near a CD shop blew up six shops in the Barkund area of Mansehra city in the Mansehra District. Three persons, including the owner of a barbershop, were injured in the incident. The CD shop was completely destroyed while five adjacent general stores, barber shops and a book store were damaged extensively. Sajjad Ahmad, the owner of CD shop, said that some four months ago he along with other CD shop owners had shut their business after receiving threats. However, on the eve of Eidul Fitr they reopened the businesses.

October 16: At least 15 persons, including three policemen, were killed and 19 others sustained injuries after a suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into the CIA’s Special Investigation Unit in Peshawar. The Bomb Disposal Squad Chief Shafqat Malik said that 60-70 kilograms of explosives had been used in the attack, adding that Police had recovered a leg of the attacker.

October 15: 11 persons, including three Policemen, were killed and 22 others sustained injuries when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the building of the Saddar Police Station located in the military area of Kohat.

An eight-year-old boy, identified as Hamza, was killed and 12 persons, including two Policemen, were wounded when a powerful bomb exploded in a three-storey building in the officers’ colony of provincial capital Peshawar. Capital City Police Officer Liaquat Ali Khan told reporters that the bomb planted in a car was detonated by a remote control. The building is reported to have collapsed and several apartments in adjacent buildings were damaged. Some vehicles parked in the area were also damaged. The Senior Superintendent of Police (Operations), Karim Khan, told journalists that approximately 60 kilograms of explosives were used in the blast.

October 12: At least 45 persons - including six soldiers - were killed and 41 others were injured in a suicide attack on a military convoy in the Alpuri area of Shangla District (which borders Swat District), NWFP Information Minister Iftikhar Hussain and a military official said. The bomber – believed to be 14 years old and on foot – targeted the convoy while it was passing through the busy Alpuri bazaar. The AP news agency, however, reported that the bomber detonated a car packed with explosives near the convoy. A military spokesman said that 12 shops and seven vehicles were destroyed when the young bomber detonated explosives. "Some vehicles loaded with ammunition were also part of the convoy... they caught fire after the explosion," said the spokesman.

October 9: 49 persons, including a woman and seven children, were killed and 90 others were injured when a suicide attacker detonated his explosives-laden car at the crowded Soekarno Chowk in Khyber Bazaar in Peshawar, capital of NWFP. A Police official said that people were busy in routine activities when a suicide bomber detonated the explosives laden in his car. Many of those killed and injured were passengers of a mini-bus that was passing through the area at the time of the blast. Seven children, many of them schoolboys, and a woman, were among those killed. The blast destroyed around 30 vehicles and partially damaged over 60 shops in the nearby markets. Windowpanes of hundreds of shops and offices were also reportedly destroyed. Among those killed or injured were patients and their attendants going or coming out of the nearby Lady Reading Hospital, the biggest public sector hospital in the NWFP.

September 26: Two suicide attackers separately rammed their explosives-laden vehicles into a Police station in Bannu and a military-owned commercial bank in Peshawar cantonment area, killing at least 23 people and injuring around 200 others. At least 10 people were killed in the attack in Peshawar, while seven, including two Policemen, were killed in the assault on the Bannu Police Station. But a Police official in Bannu said 13 people had been killed. Around 94 people were injured in Peshawar and 64, including 31 Policemen, in Bannu. "It was a car suicide blast and according to our calculations 100 kilogram's of explosives were used," Shafqat Malik, bomb disposal squad chief, said at the incident site of the Peshawar attack. "The suicide bomber sitting inside the car hurled a grenade and then he detonated himself and the car," Malik said, describing the target as a branch of a bank run by an Army welfare trust. Eyewitnesses said Police arrested two suspicious persons from the site of Peshawar blast, which occurred some 300 metres away from the headquarters of the 11 Corps and the US Consulate in the high-security zone.

September 22: Suspected Islamist militants blew up a girl's school on the outskirts of Peshawar, Police officer Hamdullah Khan said. Since the school was empty at the time of the IED blast, no one was injured.

September 21: Police officers foiled a plan to assassinate the NWFP Education Minister Sardar Hussain Babak in Tatalai District, when they confronted four militants in a gun battle that ended with a teenage suicide bomber blowing himself up. An informant tipped off Police Officers that militants had gathered in a Government school after midnight and were planning to kill the Minister and also attack Government installations and SFs, said Police Officer Noor Jamal Khan. Police confronted the militants and a fire fight ensued. A loud explosion rocked the building and three of the militants managed to escape, including one who was wounded, Khan said.

September 19: Two people were killed in a bomb blast at a security checkpoint in Darra Adam Khel. Local official Aslam Khan said Police were investigating whether the bombing was a suicide attack. However, there was no report of any casualty.

September 18: At least 30 people were killed and more than 50 injured in a suicide attack in Kohat District. At least 13 shops were also destroyed, and shockwaves were felt as far as a kilometer away, witnesses said. "Some 30 people have so far been killed ... it is suspected the attack was carried out using an explosives-laden car," said senior Police officials. Reuters reported that the bomb was believed to have contained about 150 kilogrammes of explosives. Locals put the death toll at around 40. The blast took place in Kacha Pakka area, 17 kilometres from Kohat city. Shopkeepers said most of the victims were Shias and coalminers waiting for buses. "It appears the attack was carried out to target Shias," they said. The LeJ claimed responsibility for the bombing, saying it was carried out to avenge the killing of one of their leaders. "We carried out the attack to avenge the killing of Muhammad Amin," Usman Haider, claiming to be a spokesman for the outfit, told BBC over telephone.

Hangu District Nazim (Mayor) Haji Khan Afzal was killed and three others injured in a bomb attack at a mosque in the Wajh area of Hangu. Afzal was reportedly entering the mosque when a remote-controlled IED exploded.

September 17: Four children were injured in a bomb blast triggered by unidentified militants at Doshagram near Fatehpur.

September 15: Taliban militants blew up a basic health unit in the Toorwari area of Hangu District. The facility in Tull tehsil (revenue unit), adjacent to Kurram Agency in the FATA, was completely destroyed in the bomb blast.

September 14: At least 14 Policemen were injured in a remote-controlled bomb blast near the central jail in Mansehra city. The Mansehra District Police Officer, Akhtar Hayat Khan Gandapur, said the bomb, which was planted on the road, exploded when a Police van carrying prisoners to the Abbottabad area for hearings passed by.

September 12: Two Policemen were injured in a suicide blast near Doaba Police Station in the Hangu District. An eyewitness said that the suicide bomber rammed his motorcycle into the main gate of the Police Station five minutes before evening prayers during the Ramadan season. They said the militant failed to enter the Police station and blew himself up at the gate, injuring two personnel.

September 2: Two girls were killed in a grenade attack on a house in the Sokri Hassankhel area of Bannu District. Police said unidentified persons lobbed a hand grenade at the house of Dil Faraz in Sokri Hassankhel area, killing his two daughters, 13-year old Mahala Bibi and eight-year old Sania Bibi, on the spot.

August 30: At least 16 Police recruits were killed and 11 others sustained injuries after a suicide bomber detonated explosives strapped to his body at the Mingora Police Station in Swat District. The volunteers for the new community Police force were conducting drills in the yard adjacent to the station when the attacker detonated his explosives, local Government administrator Atifur Rehman said. Authorities were investigating reports the attacker - possibly in uniform - might have hidden among the dozens of recruits, he said. "Initial investigations suggest the attacker climbed the small boundary wall and blew himself up, but there is also a report the suicide bomber was already inside," he said.

August 23: Three persons were killed and 15 others sustained injuries in a powerful suicide blast close to the house of the slain AI spokesman, Mobin Afridi, in the Momin Town area of Peshawar, the NWFP capital. The blast also destroyed four houses and damaged eight others in the street. "Three people, including two women, were killed and 15 others injured when the suicide bomber blew himself up in a street after he ran short of ammunition," said SSP Qazi Jamilur Rehman. The bomb disposal squad estimated around eight kilograms of explosives were used in the attack. A large number of ball bearings and nails were also used in the blast to increase its intensity.

August 21: A suicide bomber blew himself up after he was besieged by the SF personnel in Kohat. Official sources said the Police were informed that a 15-year-old suicide bomber would attack a mosque or imambargah anytime in the city. The SF personnel spotted the bomber in a bazaar with two hand-grenades in his hand and a firearm on his shoulder, the sources said. Seeing the Police party, the bomber ran away and forced his entry into the house of Inayatullah Jan in BB Pakdaman Street and took his family members hostage. Later, the women and other members of the family, except one Safdar Hashmi, were allowed to go out of the house. Eyewitnesses said the only hostage, Safdar Hashmi, managed to escape from the house and the Police party headed by the Deputy Inspector General of Police Abdullah Khan fired tear-gas shells and bullets at the house. The bomber later blew himself up when he couldn’t escape.

August 20: A bomb exploded near the Nowshera Kalan Police post, damaging the wall of the building. The bomb was reportedly planted in a water cooler, which was placed at the boundary wall of the post. The device exploded at 4:00pm (PST), damaging the wall of the post and an adjacent building. However, no loss of life or injuries was reported.

August 19: The militants attacked two girls’ schools in the Balambat area of Lower Dir District in the night. The militants first blew up the building of a community school and then set ablaze a high school building in the area. According to Major Ilyas, in-charge of the Dir media centre, the acts of subversion were being carried out by militants fleeing the region because of troops’ successes in the operation.

August 17: Seven persons, including three children and two women, were killed and nine others sustained injuries in a bomb blast in a passenger vehicle at a petrol station in the Shabqadr sub-division of Charsadda District. Driver Zahid Khan was getting fuel in his pick-up at the Attock Filling Station on Michni Road near Shabqadr town, around 20 kilometers northeast of provincial capital Peshawar, when the explosion occurred. Leader of the Mohmand Agency-based Taliban, Qari Shakeel, reportedly claimed responsibility for the blast.

August 16: A soldier was killed and three others sustained injuries in a suicide attack near a SFs checkpoint in the Swat District. According to the ISPR, a suicide bomber was moving towards the Naway Killay check-post when the soldiers asked him to stop. However, the bomber entered a house near the check-post and blew him up, injuring four soldiers. One of the soldiers later succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.

August 15: A Taliban suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into a security check post at Waliabad near Charbagh in the Swat District, killing three soldiers and a civilian. "An explosives-laden vehicle was rammed into a security check post in Waliabad near Charbagh, killing three soldiers and a civilian," said an ISPR statement. "We believe the bomber was aiming to hit a target in Mingora, where locals celebrated Independence Day on a massive scale," said an unnamed security official.

August 8: A bomb blast outside a school in Charsadda injured six persons. Police officer Marjan Khan said the blast hit a parking area outside the school for boys and girls shortly before classes ended in Charsadda District, northeast of Peshawar city. Five of those injured were motorcycle-rickshaw drivers who were waiting to take children home.

August 2: Suspected Taliban militants bombed four shops selling CDs and cassettes in the Balakot town of Mansehra District. Police officer Habibur Rahman said a time bomb planted outside the shops in the main market of Balakot exploded early in the morning. Two people were also injured in the blast.

August 2: The SFs blew up a madrassa (seminary) on the Begukhel Road in Machenkhel in the Lakki Marwat District. Official sources said the SFs raided Siddiqia madrassa at 5:30 am and blew it up, destroying five rooms of the building. Head of the madrassa, Maulana Gul Muhammad, was not present at the time. There was no casualty as the seminary was empty. Official sources also said there were authentic reports that the seminary was being used as a shelter by the local and non-local militants. In addition, unidentified militants are reported to have fired at a police check-post near Shah Hassankhel village in the night of August 1.

July 29: In a suspected sectarian incident, a Policeman was killed and four persons, including a Shia lawyer, were injured when a remote-controlled bomb exploded in the parking lot of a court in Dera Ismail Khan (DIK). The DIK Cantonment Police Station official Arif Khan said the bomb exploded as former District Bar Association president Mastan Ali Zaidi was parking his car in the District courts parking area. According to police, Mastan's bodyguard Asad Abbas, who was a Police constable, was killed while Mastan, his clerk Iqbal and two pedestrians were injured.

July 27: Suspected Taliban militants bombed a CD shop in Mansehra, killing one person and injuring two bystanders. Senior Police officer Abdul Sattar Khan said a time bomb planted outside the Al-Khurram CD shop and Internet cafe exploded at about 6am, killing Fakhar Zeb, and injuring Aurangzeb and another unidentified man. The blast also damaged two adjacent CD shops.

July 25: Six personnel of the bomb disposal squad and a civilian were injured while trying to defuse a bomb on the Indus Highway near Godi Banda. Upon receiving information regarding the bomb, the officials rushed to the spot to defuse the device. However, it exploded while being defused. The injured included Sub-Inspector Muhammad Akbar, Technician Assistant Sub-Inspector Sadat Habib, Constables Javaid Iqbal, Qaisar Khan, Khalid Mehmood and driver Ahmed Ali. A tractor driver, Abdul Munaf, was also injured. A police motorcycle and two vans were also damaged.

July 24: 17 CD shops and two general stores were destroyed when explosive devices went off in three adjacent markets of the Bakhshali village in Mardan District. An explosion in the Mir Afzal Market destroyed 11 CD shops and two general stores. Four CD shops were destroyed in a blast in another adjacent market and three shops were destroyed in the nearby Waleed Market. The markets' watchman, Ameer Khan, told the Choora Police that 26 armed people came to the markets in the midnight and planted explosives at different places after tying him with rope. Minutes later, he added, the explosive devices were set off. According to District Police Officer Waqif Khan, local militants were involved in the incident. He also said police had arrested some suspects, who were being interrogated.

July 20: A roadside bomb killed a soldier of the FC in the Bannu District. The bomb targeted an FC vehicle, killing one trooper and injuring seven constabulary officers, local hospital official Mohammad Jawed said.

July 17: Two soldiers and an equal number of Taliban militants were killed in the Swat and Dir Districts of NWFP. "A security vehicle – en route to Peochar from Shahid Khapa – was hit by an improvised explosive device near Serai… two soldiers were killed," said the ISPR. A local militia in Dir destroyed Taliban bunkers in Shahdas near Lal Qila and killed two militants and injured two others. The militia also detained two suspects and seized a machine gun, a pistol and other weapons from Kumbar Bazaar. Another Taliban militant was arrested from Kuanpur village near Aspentar. In Swat, troops conducted a search operation in Titlawala near Charbagh, and destroyed eight tunnels and 12 bunkers and arrested 15 suspected militants. Troops also cleared the Akhun Baba Ziarat area near Aloch and conducted search operations in Chakdara, Aspentar, Kanju and Kabal.

July 15: Suspected Taliban militants blew up a Police post in the Takhbhai area of Mardan District. Explosives planted along the outer wall completely destroyed the Toordher post. The Mardan District Police Officer told APP that there had been no casualties, as the Police post was vacated in view of the dilapidated condition of the building.

Two Policemen were killed and six others sustained injuries in a roadside explosion in Bannu District. Sources said a party of the Bakkakhel Police Station was on its way to Bannu city when an improvised explosive device, which was planted under a bridge on the Bannu-Miranshah Road, went off at 8 am, killing two Policemen and injuring six others.

July 11: Three security officials were killed and another six injured in a remote-controlled bombing in the Kohat area of NWFP. The bombing targeted an army vehicle passing through the Pirwala Khel area of Kohat.

July 10: Two children were killed and two others injured when a bomb they were playing with exploded in a house in the Akhorwal area of Darra Adamkhel. The bomb was reportedly lying unexploded in the fields in the Akhorwal area after last month’s fierce clashes between SFs and the Taliban.

A trooper was killed when an army vehicle hit an improvised explosive device on the Tora Ghundi road in Hangu District. Officials said the vehicle was transporting ration for SF personnel deployed at the Doaba check-post when it was targeted by a remote control explosive device in Tora Ghundi.

July 9: A Peshawar Electric Supply Company (PESCO) employee was killed and three injured when Taliban militants blew up an electricity pylon using a remote-controlled device in Merra Suraizai Payan village on the outskirts of the provincial capital Peshawar. A Police official told that explosives weighing five kilograms planted by the Taliban at the base of the tower went off at around 2pm, killing a PESCO lineman, Muhammad Rehman, and injuring three others. A bomb disposal squad official said the Taliban used four sticks of dynamite – weighing a kilogram each – to initially damage the pylon, and when PESCO officials were repairing the damage, a remote controlled device was detonated.

Taliban militants blew up a local journalist’s house in Buner. The attack was carried out in Poland village, some 15 kilometers from Pir Baba area of the District. Rehman Buneri, the victim, told that around 60 masked men entered the house at around 2am, vacated it at gunpoint and blew it up. He said the Taliban told his father that "Buneri speaks against us a lot".

Two soldiers were killed and five others injured when an improvised explosive device struck a security convoy in the Bannu. The Taliban targeted the security convoy using a remote-controlled bomb in Janikhel area of Bannu.

July 8: A suicide bomber died on the outskirts of Peshawar, capital of the NWFP, when explosives hidden in a mango cart went off before he could reach the intended target – possibly the NWFP Assembly speaker, according to witnesses and Police. "The bomber is the only person who died," senior Police officer Ghulam Muhammad told reporters after the incident in Malkhandher on Nasir Bagh Road. Unconfirmed reports indicated that five people had been injured.

July 6: The ISPR said a soldier was injured in an IED blast during a search operation in Swat’s Thana area. It said the forces secured Tighak Banda and Gakhe Banda areas, as two soldiers were injured in an exchange of fire with the terrorists at Pir Patai bridge.

An IED planted by terrorists exploded near a vehicle parked at village Sarati Sherangal in Upper Dir District, killing a child and injuring 10 persons.

July 2: Two Policemen were killed and an equal number of people sustained injuries when Taliban targeted a Police vehicle with a remote-controlled device in Peshawar. A Police official told that the militants targeted the vehicle with a roadside bomb in Chushtiabad area at around 5:45am. The Policemen were reportedly in the area to investigate a robbery attempt by the Taliban.

Two persons were killed and six others sustained injuries when unidentified men lobbed a hand-grenade into a shop at the Ghass Mandi Chowk in Dera Ismail Khan. Malak Qayyum Qureshi, the shopkeeper, and another person, Fazalur Rehman, were killed, and six other people were injured, Police and the area residents said.

July 1: Police claimed to have foiled a sabotage attempt and defused three explosive devices planted in a car while one of the militants riding the vehicle blew himself up in provincial capital Peshawar. Suspected militants were reportedly riding an explosive-laden car and when signaled by the Police to stop on the Kohat road, they lobbed two hand-grenades on the Police that didn't explode. Senior Superintendent of Police Qazi Jamilur Rehman said the car with around five militants was coming from Darra Adamkhel and armed with automatic weapons they exchanged fire with the Police. "As the police encircled one of them near Mashokhel Mera, he blew himself up," he said. The others, however, managed to escape. In the car, he said, three types of explosives-manual, timer and remote-controlled devices had been planted which were defused by the Bomb Disposal Squad.

A roadside bomb intended to target a local Police chief's vehicle killed a passer-by. Police chief Bahawal Khan escaped the bomb blast in Dera Ismail Khan, but his bodyguard was injured, said Police official Miran Shah. Bhawal Khan, chief of a Police precinct in Dera Ismail Khan, has played a major role in arresting suspected Taliban militants in the city, said Shah.

June 29: A bomb blast in the Swari bazaar of Buner town injured at least 18 persons, including two Policemen. According to officials, the timed device with five to eight kilograms of explosives had been placed on the roof of a traffic post at the College Chowk.

June 26: Suspected Taliban militants blew up a girls’ primary school on the outskirts of provincial capital Peshawar. There were, however, no casualties. An official from the Mattani Police Station said that three militants broke into Government Girls Model Primary School Ghaziabad in the Frontier Road area, tied up the guard and planted explosives on the premises. Four devices went off in quick succession, destroying the boundary wall and five of the six rooms in the building, said the official.

June 22: Two Policemen were killed and seven people, including three Policemen, sustained injuries when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into the Thakot Police check-post in Battagram District, completely destroying the check-post. "An explosion occurred in a small truck when it reached the Dandai bridge in Shangla district (of Swat) ... it was a suicide attack," said Gul Wali Khan, the District Police chief in Shangla, told. The attack was the first-ever suicide attack in Battagram District.

Taliban militants are reported to have blown up a girls’ school in Peshawar. A police official in the provincial capital said that four relatively minor blasts followed one another in quick succession and completely destroyed the two-room school building.

June 14: Nine people were killed and more than 40 others wounded when a in a bomb blast at a busy market in Dera Ismail Khan. Sources said the bomb, weighing five kilograms and apparently planted on a cycle cart, exploded in the busy Tejarat Gunj Bazaar. The blast also destroyed the windowpanes of the nearby shops and houses.

A Policeman and a passerby were killed and 20 people were injured when a bomb detonated by remote control hit a Police bus on the University Road in Kohat.

June 13: Two persons were killed and six others wounded when a roadside bomb targeting a Police vehicle exploded at Kohat. "A policeman and a civilian were killed in an improvised explosive device blast and six others, five policemen and one civilian, were injured," Kohat police chief Dilawar Khan Bangash told.

June 12: Five worshippers were killed and 105 others sustained injuries when a suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden van into a mosque during the Friday prayers in the Cantonment area of Nowshera. Sources said the congregation was in the second Rakat (part) when the bomber in the vehicle, carrying 125 kilograms of explosives, struck the wall of the mosque near the Army Supply Depot. Two soldiers were among the four persons killed on the spot while 105 persons, including 30 civilians, were injured in the explosion. Most of the wounded were reportedly Army personnel. One of those wounded succumbed to his injuries at the hospital. While the blast brought down the entire structure of the mosque, windowpanes and doors of nearby buildings were smashed and walls cracked, injuring several persons, including women and children.

Four Police personnel were killed and six others injured by two remote-controlled bomb attacks in the Hangu District. In the first incident, suspected militants targeted a Police van in the Tull sub-division with an improvised explosive device, fitted in a pressure cooker. The blast killed four Policemen. In a second incident, militants reportedly attempted to attack another Police van with a remote controlled bomb in the Dawaba Police station precincts. However, the Police van narrowly escaped the blast.

A girl was injured when a mine exploded at a mountain in the Doog Darra area of Dir Upper District, where a local Lashkar (militia) was struggling to dislodge the militants from their last hilltop hideout despite heavily-pounding their position. The girl, whose name could not be immediately ascertained, was hit by the mine when she was roaming in the mountains of Shatkas area in Doog Darra. A Lashkar member said on June 11 that the militants, who had been pushed to their last hideout on a mountain in Kandao area of Ghazigay village, had planted mines to stop the advances of the Lashkar.

June 11: An unidentified motorcyclist lobbed a hand grenade on people in Topawala Bazaar in Dera Ismail Khan injuring 21 persons. The man attacked civilians near the Jadeed Cloth House around 11:55am, Police said.

A man was killed and 13 others, including nine Policemen, sustained injuries in a hand grenade-cum-suicide attack on a Police party in the Lateefabad area on Ring Road in Peshawar, the NWFP capital. Capital City Police Officer Safwat Ghayyur told the media that a Police party was on a routine duty on Ring Road in the jurisdiction of Faqirabad Police station when unknown miscreants hurled a hand grenade at the Policemen, injuring one of them. Even as reinforcements were being called for, a suicide bomber came near a Police pick-up and blew himself up. The blast destroyed two Police mobiles, a rickshaw and a motorcycle. Personnel of the Bomb Disposal Squad also recovered a pressure cooker and explosive material from the nearby fields.

In Buner District, an improvised explosive device planted by the militants exploded on Ambela-Daggar road. Three vehicles were partially damaged in the blast. The SFs, meanwhile, secured Gat Khela and Jowar areas and also destroyed a militants' hideout in Gatkala area.

June 10: Six more bodies were recovered from the debris of the damaged portion of Hotel Peal Continental in Peshawar, the NWFP capital, including that of the hotel's general manager, raising the toll of the June 9-suicide attack to 17. The explosion destroyed five floors of the hotel and the boundary wall between the hotel and the Flag Staff House. A Police official said the number of casualties could increase as more bodies were likely to be found under the debris.

June 9: Four Policemen and two other people were injured when a roadside bomb hit a Rescue-15 van in Dera Ismail Khan. The Policemen were on a patrol and when their van reached Ashyan Shopping Centre on the North Circular Road the bomb was detonated by a remote control. The vehicle was completely destroyed.

A massive truck bomb explosion at the five-star Pearl Continental hotel in Peshawar, the NWFP capital, at approximately 10.20pm killed 11 people and injured 60 others. The attackers entered the compound on two vehicles at about 10:30pm, firing at the security guards at the hotel gate with bullets from one and blowing up the other in the hotel parking. "It was a suicide attack," Capital City Police Officer Sefwat Ghayur told. "There are two foreigners among the dead," NWFP Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain said. Among those who were injured are the ruling Awami National Party's minister Zarshed Khan, Senator Nabi Bangash, UN officials, three foreigners and an airline's crew. 40 vehicles parked in the compound were destroyed and the building was seriously damaged. A Bomb Disposal Squad official told reporters at least 500 kilograms of explosives were used in the attack.

June 8: A Policeman was killed and two people were wounded when a roadside bomb blast destroyed a Police van near the Hazarkhwani village, triggering a crackdown on a religious seminary in the limits of the Agha Mir Jani Shah Police station in Peshawar. The explosion also created a six-foot-deep and five-foot-wide crater in the Hazarkhwani Road near the Akhun Darveza Baba graveyard. "A party of the Agha Mir Jani Shah police station had set up a barricade on the Hazarkhwani Road, while the official van with its driver, Amir Nawaz, was also parked at some distance from the cordon," said a Police official. Terrorists reportedly detonated explosives, planted at the roadside just under the vehicle, with a remote-controlled device when the rest of the Policemen were busy searching vehicles entering the city limits at 5:10 pm, the Police official said.

The militants blew up a CD shop at the adjacent Garhi Atta Muhammad town. "Many woke up by the huge explosion at 3 am, who saw six to eight people riding horses before and after the occurrence," said villager Jamroz.

An explosive devices planted beside a Police post in the Changal area of Battagram District went off. No casualty was, however, reported.

June 7: The Taliban blew up a Government school in Darra Adam Khel. The channel quoted its sources as saying that the Taliban planted explosives near the school in the Shira area of Darra Adam Khel. However, no casualties were reported since the school was closed.

June 5: A suicide bomber killed 49 worshippers, including 12 children, at a mosque in a remote village of the Dir Upper District. Dozens more were injured as a young man detonated explosives fastened to his body minutes before the Friday congregation in the Hayagay Sharqi village. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the suicide attack. The village, located in the mountains, is situated approximately 20 kilometers east of Dir town, the District headquarters.

June 4: Suspected Taliban militants blew up a girls' high school in the Badabher Police precincts of capital Peshawar. A Police official at the Badabher Police Station told that the suspects had planted explosives at the school and that the blast had severely damaged the building. A Bomb Disposal Squad official said militants had planted five bombs weighing around four to five kilograms each and also fired a rocket at the building. Sulimankhel Nazim Akmal Khan told that the local Taliban and Lashkar-e-Islam militants could be behind the attack. He said the suspects had also blown up CD shops in the union council a few months ago.

June 1: At least two people were killed and 18 others injured in a bomb blast at a bus station in the Tirah bazaar of Kohat town in Kohat District. Senior Police official Ehsanullah Khan said that the explosive device was hidden in a sack and was detonated by a remote control. A doctor at the main District hospital said two dead bodies had been brought in after the blast.

May 31: The SFs are reported to have successfully completed the clearance operation at Najigram village in the Buner District. One soldier was killed in an improvised explosive device explosion.

The Government High School in the Kuza Bandai village of the Kabal sub-division was blown up with explosives.

May 29: A man was killed in firing by the SFs and two others, including a minor, were injured in a roadside bomb blast separately in the Shangla District. Sources said Gul Mukhtiar was killed in firing allegedly by SFs. Further, in an improvised explosive device explosion, two persons were injured.

May 28: Terrorists attacked Peshawar, capital of the NWFP, and its environs as eight people were killed and over 68 sustained injuries. Two separate blasts took place in the Qissa Khwani bazaar while three Policemen were killed and nine others injured in a suicide attack on a Police vehicle at the Sra Khawra security post on the Kohat road. Two suspected militants were killed and two others arrested in an encounter between the Police and alleged terrorists who had taken shelter in a building located behind Qissa Khwani bazaar soon after the two blasts.

The first blast occurred at the congested Kabari bazaar at the back of Qissa Khwani bazaar at 5:40pm. Two minutes later, another bomb planted in a motorbike in front of a sweet shop in Qissa Khwani exploded. At least seven persons, including a minor girl, were killed, while 63 others wounded in these explosions. There were reports that three of the deceased were killed in cross-firing between the suspected militants and Police. Bomb disposal squad experts said 4 to 5 kilograms of explosives was used in the twin blasts.

When people were busy in rescue work in Qissa Khwani, a suicide bomber riding a vehicle hit a Police mobile vehicle parked near the security post in Sra Khawra area on Kohat road in the jurisdiction of Matani Police station. Three Policemen were killed and nine others injured in the attack on the outskirts of Peshawar. The vehicle was destroyed and the police post was partially damaged in the suicide bombing.

May 28: A Policeman and two passers-by were killed and 13 people wounded when a suicide attacker exploded an auto-rickshaw near a Police checkpoint in Dera Ismail Khan.

An improvised explosive device exploded near Piran village in Batkhela. However, no loss of life was reported.

May 27: SFs continued their advance on Kanju-Kabal, while securing their positions at Madyan, Bagh Derai, Kala Kot, and Sakhra Valley. In addition, two soldiers were killed when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in Qambar near Mingora.

May 26: A hand grenade attack on the house of a Shia family in Dera Ismail Khan killed a man and injured two others. According to Police, Zafar Abbas was at his house in Awanabad area with two other men when unidentified militants hurled a hand grenade at the house, killing Abbas and injuring the other two men. However, AFP put the number of the injured at three. The blast destroyed parts of the house, while nearby houses were also damaged. No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, Police said.

May 25: Suspected Taliban militants blew up a CD shop and a Police post in Peshawar, but there were no casualties. A Police official told that explosives planted in the CD shop went off around 3am and slightly damaged the shop. Suspected militants also targeted a Police check-post on the Pajjagi Road. There were, however, no casualties.

The Taliban destroyed a girls' school in Hangu District. A private TV channel reported that militants had planted explosives at the Government school in Shahidkhel area in the early hours of the morning, and the consequent blast destroyed the entire building. No casualties were reported.

May 20: A powerful car bomb exploded near the Tasveer Mahal Cinema hall in the busy Kabuli Chowk area of Peshawar, capital of the NWFP, killing at least 10 people and injuring over 65 others. Besides destroying the front elevation of the Tasveer Mahal Cinema, the powerful explosion also damaged another nearby movie hall, dozens of music centres and shops as well as several vehicles. The blast also disconnected power supply to the area hampering rescue efforts. Windowpanes of buildings in the adjoining Qissa Khwani, Khyber Bazaar, Mohallah Jhangi, Shoba Bazaar and Namakmandi areas were damaged due to the impact of the explosion.

May 19: Suspected militants blew up a police post in the suburbs of Peshawar, the NWFP capital. An official of the Mathra Police said explosives had been planted at the Police post located at Bacha Garhi, which went off at about 4am, destroying the structure. He said the Police post had been abandoned two months ago due to lack of personnel.

The building of a public call office near a CNG filling station on the Kohat Road was damaged when explosives planted there went off, the Bana Manai Police said.

May 16: At least 11 people, including two women and two children, were killed and another 31 injured when a powerful car bomb ripped through a congested locality in Peshawar. Superintendent of Police (City) Ijaz Abid told that the explosion was caused by a timed bomb in a car parked in the Kashkal area of the city. He said the apparent target of the blast was a nearby internet café. The bomb went off at around 2:20pm and destroyed 17 cars and around a dozen shops. Casualties from a special children's school bus passing the area and caught in the explosion could not be confirmed.

At least six people, including two women and two children, sustained minor injuries when a low-intensity explosive device went off in a busy market in Peshawar.

May 14: Eight Policemen were injured when terrorists on motorbikes attacked three Police posts in Dera Ismail Khan with hand-grenades. Police said the attacks carried out in a span of half an hour, partially damaged the posts. The first attack took place after evening prayers when a hand-grenade was hurled on a Rescue 15 post in Topawala Square on the Circular Road, injuring six Policemen. About 15 minutes later, Police Post No 3 at Tank Adda was attacked and two constables were injured. The third attack was on Police Post No 4 at Muslim Bazaar.

May 10: The Taliban’s indiscriminate mortar fire and roadside bombs planted in populated areas killed an unspecified number of civilians. The Taliban also blew up two schools at Barikot and Maniar, and killed a local prayer leader, Zahid Khan, at Nishat Chowk.

May 7: Taliban militants blew up a high school in Darra Adam Khel. According to a private TV channel, militants had planted explosives in a Government high school in the Bosti Khel area in Darra Adam Khel. While the blast damaged the building, no loss of life was reported.

May 6: 14 worshippers were wounded when unidentified motorcyclists lobbed a hand grenade at a mosque in Dera Ismail Khan. Sources said two unidentified men, riding a motorcycle, arrived at the Chichyan Mosque in the Kaneriyanwali locality and hurled the hand grenade when the people were offering ‘Isha’ prayers. "At least, 14 people were injured in the attack," an eyewitness said.

May 5: Seven people, including two children and a Frontier Corps soldier, were killed and 48 others sustained injuries an explosives-laden car rammed into a pick-up near a check-post on the Bara road near Peshawar. The Bara Qadeem check-post was manned by the Police and Frontier Constabulary. Eyewitnesses said the car on a suicide mission was following a Frontier Corps pick-up from Bara and hit it when it slowed down near the check-post. The pick-up was carrying students to a school in Peshawar. The Senior Superintendent of Police Mian Ghulam Mohammad said no one had accepted responsibility for the blast. According to bomb disposal personnel, the explosives weighed about 85 kilograms. The blast also reportedly caused a deep crater in the middle of the road and damaged dozens of houses and shops.

May 4: A suicide car bomber killed four SF personnel and wounded eight persons in the outskirts of provincial capital Peshawar. Police sources said the attacker rammed his car into a vehicle carrying SFs.

May 3: Armed Taliban militants blew up the Pakhtangi check-post in Shangla District and fled with the weapons of the Policemen stationed at the post. About 20 militants attacked the checkpoint on the Alpuri Puran main road, took the Policemen hostage, seized their weapons and then reportedly blew up the post with explosives. The locals said the Taliban wanted to abduct the Policemen but they managed to escape.

The Taliban blew up a girls’ high school in the Ningolai area of Kabal sub-division in Swat. While the building was destroyed, no casualty was reported.

May 2: The Taliban militants lobbed two hand grenades in a house in Upper Dir, injuring two civilians.

April 30: A roadside bomb blast in the Kohat District killed a Shia man and wounded six others traveling in a mini-bus in an apparent sectarian attack. "Seven people were injured in the bomb blast," local Police official Shafiq Khan said. "It appears to be a sectarian attack as all the passengers in the van were Shias," he said, adding the blast was caused by a crude, makeshift device.

April 29: Suspected militants blew up about 25 shops at Adezai bazaar in the suburb of Peshawar. A Police official of the Matani Police station said unidentified miscreants had planted explosives which went off at about 1am. Many of the shops were owned by one Mohammad Kalam. However, chief of the local Union Council, Haji Asad Khan, said the shops were owned by poor people who were selling items of daily use. In the past, he said, people used to sell CDs and cassettes in different areas but after threats by the Taliban they had abandoned the business.

April 28: The militants blew up a bridge, a Police post in Ambaila and occupied the Paacha Police Station.

April 27: Two persons, including Lakki Marwat Headquarters Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Asmatullah Khan, were killed when a bomb targeting a Police van exploded in Lakki Marwat. "The remote-controlled bomb was planted near a bridge. It went off when a police van was crossing the bridge," Lakki Marwat town's Police officer Habibullah Khan told. "We received two bodies, one of them was a Police officer," said Doctor Muhammad Shakirullah of the local hospital.

April 25: 12 children were killed and four others injured when girls of a local primary school in the in the Luquman Banda area of Lower Dir District had found the toy bomb and were playing with it when it exploded. The dead girls were aged between four and 12 years. Seven of the 12 dead children were from the same family. A woman and three children were injured.

April 18: At least 27 SF personnel were killed and 55 others injured in a suicide attack on a security check post in the Doaba area of Hangu District. Locals told that the attack on the checkpoint, about 45 kilometres southwest of Hangu, took place at around 4:15pm (PST) when SF personnel were visiting the area for the inspection. Two Police vehicles were passing by the check post when the suicide bomber driving a double-cabin pickup rammed the vehicle into the structure, they said. The explosion destroyed the check post, adjacent building housing troops and Police, and eight SF’s vehicles.

April 17: SFs blew up a militant headquarters in the Jarma area of Kohat District. Police said the militants were planning attacks on Police installations, armed robberies and kidnappings.

April 16: A woman was killed when an office of a NGO was blown up with explosives in the Hathian area of Mardan District. Unidentified saboteurs had planted the explosives close to the NGO’s office, which killed a woman walking past the building upon detonation.

April 15: At least 18 persons, including nine Policemen, were killed and five others injured when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the Harichand Police Post in Charsadda District. The NWFP Inspector General of Police, Malik Naveed, said Police wanted to stop the suicide bomber’s speeding car and fired at it, but it had reached close to them by the time the explosives went off. The blast also left a crater about three metres wide, damaged windows in nearby buildings and severed power cables, plunging the area into darkness.

April 13: The head of a bomb disposal squad, Gul Sher Khan, was killed when a bomb planted along Ladi Lora Bridge at Bannu detonated while he was trying to defuse the explosive. Two other persons were also injured in the explosion.

An explosion at a girls' primary school in Noor area destroyed the entire building. However, no casualties were reported.

April 10: Taliban militants triggered a bomb blast in the Chamkani area, outside provincial capital Peshawar, destroying six tankers supplying fuel to the NATO troops in neighbouring Afghanistan. Around 35 tankers were parked at the incident site, when militants placed a bomb under one of the vehicles loaded with diesel, petrol and aviation fuel, said Police official Asmatullah Khan. The blast triggered a fire which spread to another five tankers, he said.

A man was killed and two others sustained injuries in a bomb blast in Bannu. According to a private TV channel, a jirga (council of elders) was underway when the blast occurred.

April 7: Suspected Taliban militants planted a remote-controlled bomb that blew up a music shop and neighbouring stalls at Charsadda bus stand in Peshawar. "CD and music centres, as well as three other shops were destroyed when a locally-made bomb went off in front of a bus stand in Faqirabad area," local Police official Anwar Khan said. No casualties were reported as the shops were closed overnight when the bomb exploded, Police said.

April 5: Unidentified men blew up a girls' school in Jahangir Khel in the precincts of Miryan Police Station of Bannu District. Police sources said the men had placed explosives in the building of the Government Girls' School, damaging it. However, no casualties were reported.

April 2: A would-be suicide bomber shot himself dead before hitting his target i.e. the funeral prayers for slain Police official Fateh Rehman in the Haryan Kot area of Dargai sub-division. Five Police personnel, including Station House Officer Fateh Rehman, were killed in a rocket and rifle attack on a Police mobile van by militants near Jitkot village in Upper Dir District on April 1. Sources said the bomber abandoned a bag full of explosives and his suicide vest and hurled two hand-grenades at the people before fleeing. However, the hand-grenades did not explode and he shot himself on the spot with a pistol. The villagers found a national identity card with the body identifying him as Irshadul Haq, son of Niaz Muhammad, of Targhao area in Bajaur Agency.

March 30: Seven persons, including five Army soldiers, were killed and nine others sustained injuries when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a military convoy near a filling station on the Bannu-Miranshah Road. The dead also included an Assistant Engineer of Radio Pakistan Razmak station, Basharat Afridi, and a lady travelling in a passenger coach. However, military spokesman and ISPR Director-General Major General Athar Abbas said the explosion was caused by an improvised explosive device planted in a roadside car.

March 26: 12 persons, including a woman, were killed and 22 others sustained injuries when a teenage suicide bomber blew himself up outside a crowded restaurant in the Jandola bazaar of Tank District. A pro-government group of Bhittani tribesmen, led by Haji Turkistan, is believed to have been the target of the suicide attacker. Eyewitnesses told from Jandola - the gateway to South Waziristan - that a young boy blew himself up outside the crowded restaurant in the bazaar. The bazaar is located in front of heavily guarded British-era fort, currently inhabited by the Frontier Corps and the Army. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

March 26: 29 shops were destroyed as suspected militants blew up two markets in the Thana town of the Malakand region. Suspected militants had planted three improvised explosive devices in the Mina Bazaar and the Bara (Upper) Bazaar in Thana, two of which exploded. 24 shops were destroyed in the Mina Bazaar and five in Bara Bazaar, causing huge financial losses to traders. The third, a home-made bomb, was defused by personnel of the Malakand Levies.

March 26: Unidentified men blew up a power pylon in the Mirza Kali Urmur area of Peshawar, the NWFP capital, suspending power supply to the adjacent areas. Police sources said the men had planted explosives under the 500KV tower. Shaukat Afzal, the Peshawar Electric Supply Company spokesman, said the assailants had blown up tower number 295.

March 22: Unidentified men blew up a girls’ school in the Mardan District. According to Police sources, the men planted explosives near the Government Girls High School Hattian, located near the residence of the NWFP senior minister Rahim Dad Khan. However, no casualties were reported.

An imambargah (a Shia place of worship) was partially damaged by an explosion near the building in Tank city. No casualties were reported.

March 19: Suspected Taliban militants blew up a 500kV electricity pylon in the limits of Urmur Police Station plunging several parts of Peshawar, capital of the NWFP, into darkness. A spokesman of the Peshawar Electric Supply Company told reporters the explosion destroyed the tower.

March 12: Unidentified men blew up 20 shops in three explosions at Khor Market in Nowshera. According to Police, at least 12 shops were damaged while five were destroyed in the explosion.

March 11: The NWFP Senior Minister and Awami National Party leader Bashir Ahmad Bilour survived an assassination attempt that left six persons, including two suspected suicide attackers, dead in Namak Mandi in the provincial capital Peshawar. Four persons, including a young girl, were wounded in the firing, grenade attack and suicide blast. "Bilour and others were coming back after opening a road project when a young man, followed by another, rushed towards him while loudly reciting Allaho Akbar. A security official pushed the attacker back after explosives around his vest did not go off despite his repeated attempts," said an eyewitness. A nearby shopkeeper said the attacker fell on the ground after which one of them lobbed a grenade at the crowd. Police, he added, also opened fire. A vendor, Tehmash, was killed while constable Himayatullah, a trader, Khalilur Rahman, and a six-year-old were injured in the incident. Even as the attackers managed to flee the Security Force personnel continued to chase them until the attackers forced their entry into the house of an auto-mechanic located around 500 meters from the earlier spot. Police besieged the house and "As the terrorists failed to find any way out, they triggered the explosives around the vest of one of them, killing the two attackers and three members of the family that owned the house," a Police official said.

March 7: At least eight persons, including five Policemen, two Frontier Corps personnel, and a civilian were killed in a remote-controlled car bombing at Mashugagr village in Peshawar. Some villagers also sustained minor injuries. Muhammad Wali, a villager, said the car was unlocked and the villagers had found the body of an old man in it. "The blast occurred when police officials walked towards the vehicle," he said. Security officials said about 40 kilogrammes of explosives were packed in the vehicle.

Two civilians were killed and seven others, including six SF personnel, injured in another car bombing at Darra Adam Khel. Eyewitnesses said the Taliban detonated a car parked alongside the road when a convoy of Mehsud Scouts reached Bazi Khel graveyard. They said SFs launched indiscriminate fire after the attack and arrested 15 locals. At least 10 people were injured.

March 6: A union council official was killed and his bodyguard injured in a remote-controlled bomb explosion in the Bannu District. Kakki Union Council chief Khairullah died and his bodyguard Safiullah sustained injuries in the explosion.

March 5: One person was killed and 19 others sustained injuries when a hand-grenade hurled by unidentified miscreants at the worshippers exploded in Ameer Hamza mosque on Circular Road in Dera Ismail Khan. Eyewitnesses said unidentified miscreants threw a hand-grenade at the worshipers from the main gate when they were offering their evening prayers in the mosque, which exploded killing a civilian and injuring 19 others.

Successive bomb blasts in the Khurshid Market of Takhtbhai destroyed 24 shops. No casualty was, however, reported. Shopkeepers told that the miscreants planted explosive devices at three places in the market. They said about three months ago they had received threats to wind up their "un-Islamic business". Bahadur Khan, the market watchman, said around 10 Taliban-styled men reached the market at midnight and after overpowering him, planted bombs in the market.

Suspected Taliban militants blew an ancient shrine of a 17th century Sufi poet - Rehman Baba - in the Akhund Baba graveyard of Peshawar, said locals and police, with the reporting that a letter delivered three days before the attack to the management of the mausoleum had warned against its promotion of ‘shrine culture’. The white-marble shrine was badly damaged when explosives planted along its pillars went off at around 5:10am. There were, however, no casualties.

March 1: Two FC soldiers were injured in the Kabal sub-division of Swat District in a gun and bomb attack on a security convoy. The banned TTP claimed responsibility for the attack in Sarsanai area of Kabal.

February 23: Two civilians were killed in a bomb blast targeting Police near the garrison town of Kohat. "An improvised explosive device planted on the Kohat-Rawalpindi Road went off as a police van passed," District Police Officer Abdullah Khan said. The Policemen were unhurt but the blast killed two motorcyclists in the Bahadurkot area, he added.

February 22: A Police guard was killed when he flung himself onto a suicide bomber to prevent him from entering a compound in Bannu. The attacker was trying to enter the compound, where judges and senior police officials live and work, when the guard intercepted him. "The suicide bomber tried to enter the compound. Then the police guard saw him, grabbed him and he exploded himself," local Police official Ghafar Ali told by telephone. Two other police guards were wounded in the attack.

Suspected Taliban militants blew up five houses in Adezai village near Darra Adam Khel. An official of the Mattani Police station told that the suspected Taliban militants had planted explosives near the houses. Three vehicles were also damaged in the explosion. However, no casualties were reported.

February 21: Two suicide bombers were killed when their explosives-laden car blew up before hitting its intended target in the Lakki town of Bannu District, Police said. The bombers intended to ram the vehicle into a Police post but it exploded a few metres short of its target, Police officer Muhammad Habibullah said. "We have found body parts of two bombers from the blown up vehicle," the officer told, adding, there were no Police casualties.

February 20: 32 persons were killed and 145 others injured when a suicide bomber exploded himself in the funeral procession of a slain employee of the Tehsil Municipal Administration near the busy Shubra Square in Dera Ismail Khan. Sources said the funeral procession of local Shia community leader Sher Zaman alias Shera, who was killed in firing by unidentified persons on February 19, was heading towards Kotly Imam Hussain for his Namaz-e-Janaza (funeral prayer) and burial when a suicide bomber ran into the mourners and blew himself up.

February 19: A bomb exploded at the Government Degree College in Peshawar. However, no casualties were reported. An unnamed Police official told that it was a low intensity device, which was only meant to create panic. The device was planted on the building’s second floor and exploded around 12pm.

February 17: Five people were killed and 17 injured in a car bomb blast outside the Hujra (male guest house) of the union council chief in Bazidkhel village of Peshawar. Faheemur Rahman, the union council chief of Bazidkhel, eight kilometres south of Peshawar on Kohat Road, alleged that the Mangal Bagh-led LI was involved in this "cheap act" of terrorism. Eyewitnesses said the blast occurred in a car parked on a street near the Hujra of Rahman. The blast also destroyed two cars and damaged six buildings.

February 15: Suspected militants destroyed a school in the Charbagh sub-division of Swat. The school was already in the custody of the Taliban, who were using it as a base camp.

February 12: SF personnel resorted to indiscriminate firing after a remote-controlled bomb attack on their convoy in Kanju. They said one soldier sustained injuries in the attack.

February 11: Alamzeb Khan, a Member of Provincial Assembly from the ruling Awami National Party (ANP), was killed in a remote-controlled bomb blast in Momin Town in Peshawar, the NWFP capital. The blast, which also injured seven others, including the driver, the gunman and personal assistant of the legislator, occurred on the day the newly-appointed special US envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke, was paying a visit to the city and the adjacent Khyber Agency. Locals said Khan was on his way to attend a function in the city when his car was hit by a huge explosion at around 11:20 am on the main road of the Momin Town, close to his residence. "It was triggered through a remote control," Capital City Police Officer Safwat Ghayyur told journalists. Alamzeb Khan was elected a member of the NWFP Assembly from the PF-1 in the general elections in 2008.

February 10: A convoy of the SFs was attacked with an explosive device in the Bara Bandai area of Kabal, leaving a soldier injured.

February 9: At least 18 FC personnel were injured in a suicide attack on the Baran Pul check-post of the Frontier Reserve Police (FRP) in the jurisdiction of Bakkakhel police station in Bannu District. Sources said a suicide bomber driving an explosives-laden mini truck hit the building of the FRP check-post at Baran Pul, injuring 18 FC soldiers.

February 9: Suspected militants destroyed the Takhta Band Bridge by planting an explosive device.

February 5: A suicide attacker detonated an explosive-laden car near a Police station in the Mingora town, injuring a dozen officers and destroying part of the building, said Dilawar Khan Bangash, the Police chief. Bangash said militants also fired three rockets before the attack and one damaged a nearby hotel.

A truck driver was injured when a remote-controlled device, planted by militants on the Mingora-Takhta Band Road, exploded. The truck, which was loaded with ration, was part of a convoy of Security Forces.

February 3: A man was killed and 18 others injured in a hand grenade attack on a Sunni mosque at Mohallah Joginwala in the Dera Ismail Khan District. The attacker hurled the hand grenade at the worshippers in Madani mosque during Maghrib prayers, Police said. Local Police officer Yaseen Khan told that the explosion had caused a stampede as panicked people tried to flee.

January 30: Four soldiers were killed and eight injured when an Army convoy was attacked with a remote-controlled bomb in the Jalala area of Malakand. Official sources told that a military convoy of the Sindh Regiment was on its way to provincial capital Peshawar from the militancy-hit Swat valley when a remote-controlled explosive device, planted by militants near a school building on Ghat Koto Road, went off, killing four soldiers and injuring eight others.

January 27: In the Matta sub-division of Swat District, a convoy of SFs was targeted in a remote-controlled bomb attack, but there were no casualties.

The Taliban blew up two more schools at Kabal in Swat, taking the number of destroyed schools to 188.

January 26: Six people were killed and 22 others sustained injuries when a bomb rigged to a bicycle exploded in a populated area in Dera Ismail Khan. Three of the victims were in a car while the other three were walking past the bicycle parked in front of the main gate of the town hall.

January 21: Taliban militants destroyed two more Government-run schools and a health centre in the Swat District. Explosive devices planted at the high school for boys and a basic health unit in Sher Falam in the Matta sub-division, and the girls primary school in Mangalstan in Charbagh sub-division, went off early in the morning, razing the buildings to the ground.

January 20: Four Policemen and four civilians were injured when a Police patrol van was hit by a roadside bomb on Ring Road in the Hazarkhwani area of Peshawar. The blast took place at about 8:03am (PST) near a security check-post when Pandu Police Station officials were patrolling the Ring Road. "Almost 1kg explosives, planted in a gas pipeline, exploded when the police patrol vehicle was passing through the spot," Superintendent of Police (City Circle), Mohammad Ashraf said.

January 19: Two SF personnel were injured in a remote-controlled bomb attack on their vehicle in the Shand area of Madian in Swat District.

The Taliban blew up five boys’ and a girls’ school in Swat. Militants reportedly planted bombs around the buildings of five schools, which detonated late on January 18, while the sixth was detonated in the afternoon of January 19. However, no reports of casualties were received.

January 18: A faith-healing centre on the Circular Road in Peshawar was damaged when an explosives device went off late on January 18. However, no loss of life was reported.

January 17: Suspected militants blew up an abandoned police post in the Balogram area of Swat.

January 16: Militants destroyed a house owned by the Awami National Party chief Asfandyar Wali Khan in Madyan Chaktari area. The militants reportedly planted explosives in the house, completely destroying it. However, no loss of life was reported as the house had been abandoned by the family of Asfandyar Wali.

January 15: Approximately 20 shops were damaged when an explosive device went off in a market in Shabqadar. However, no loss of life was reported.

January 14: Several CD shops and offices were completely destroyed when three time devices planted by suspected militants at three separate markets in Swat exploded in the wee hours. Six other shops and the house of a Pakistan People’s Party leader were partially damaged. However, no casualty was reported, as nobody was present in the market.

January 13: A remote-controlled bomb exploded near the convoy of SFs in Sambat near Matta town. However, no casualty was reported.

January 10: A bomb blast partially damaged two cellular phone shops in Naurang bazaar in Lakki Marwat.

January 9: A bomb blast at the Nehar Chowk area of Mardan destroyed a CD centre and some other shops. However, no casualty was reported in the incident.

January 6: Sub-Inspector Rehamtullah of the Bomb Disposal Squad in Bannu District Police was killed while defusing a bomb in Bannu.

January 5: Unidentified persons in the Shakardara area of Matta sub-division blew up the house of a local journalist, Hameedullah.

January 4: Ten persons, including four Policemen, were killed and 27 others injured in two bomb blasts near the Polytechnic College in Dera Ismail Khan. Sources said an explosive device, planted by militants near the main gate of the Polytechnic College, went off at 7:07 pm, injuring four persons. Eyewitnesses said soon after the blast, Police personnel and people rushed to the spot. As a large number of Policemen and people gathered at the site, a 16-year-old suicide bomber forced his entry into the crowd and blew himself up, killing 10 persons, including four Policemen, and injuring 21 others.

A suicide bomber was killed while two people sustained injuries near a check-post in Officers’ Colony in Bannu. The suicide bomber blew himself up in an attempt to target a check-post but could not succeed as the bomb exploded before he could reach his target.

January 1: Three Policemen were killed and six injured in two bomb blasts in Peshawar and Bannu districts, Police said. Unidentified men blew up a Police check-post near Jabba Mosque in the Mathra Police station precincts of Peshawar, killing constable Asif Khan. Senior Police official Jamilur Rehman said the attack could be a reaction to the ongoing military operation in Khyber Agency. Meanwhile, two Policemen - Abbas Ali Khan and Muhammad Ali Khan - were killed and six injured when a bomb being defused by officials of the Bannu Bomb Disposal Squad exploded.






Copyright © 2001 SATP. All rights reserved.