Prominent attacks on political leaders
and activists during Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly Elections,
|Listed below are some of the prominent
attacks on political leaders and activists during the September
1996 Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly elections.
- September 6/7, 1996: Terrorists fire
at the house of Mohammed Maqbool Dar, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
Candidate for the Rafiabad Assembly constituency. No casualties are
reported in the attack.
- September 7, 1996: Terrorists lob a
grenade at the house of Javed Ahmed Shah, a leader of the National
Conference (NC), who had defected from the Awami League (AL). There
are no casualties reported in the incident. Shah, initially filed
his nomination papers on an Awami League ticket for the Rafiabad Assembly
constituency, but withdrew subsequently.
- September 8, 1996: The convoy of Mehbooba
Mufti, daughter of former Union Home Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed,
contesting as an Indian National Congress (INC) candidate from Bijbehera
Constituency is attacked.
- September 8, 1996: Terrorists fire upon
vehicle of Mohammad Jabar Mir, NC candidate from Wachi constituency.
- September 11, 1996: Terrorists hurl
grenade at residence of Nasir Ahmad Garkhoo, Janata Dal (JD) candidate
from Khanyar constituency.
- September 11/12, 1996: Terrorists fire
at the house of INC activist Ghulam Lone, a surrendered terrorist,
injuring one person.
- September 12, 1996: A grenade attack
occurs at election rally of State Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah in
Pulwama district, injuring four security force (SF) personnel and
- September 12, 1996: Terrorists lob grenade
at the vehicle of A.G. Veeri, NC candidate from Bijbehera Constituency.
A civilian is injured during the attack.
- September 13, 1996: Terrorists hurl
a grenade and subsequently open fire at vehicles of two Janata Dal
leaders, including Ishfaq Ahmed Mirza, a contestant from the Habbakadal
- September 14, 1996: Ghulam Hassan Mukim,
Janata Dal candidate from Charar-e-Sharief constituency, escapes unhurt,
in an attack on his convoy.
- September 15, 1996: Unidentified assailants
attack a public meeting being addressed by O. M. Bakshi, AL candidate
from the Khansahib constituency.
- September 16, 1996: Ali Mohd Dar, INC
candidate from Tral Assembly constituency escapes unhurt in an attack
on his vehicle.
- September 16, 1996: Unidentified terrorists
attack an election campaign team of Independent candidate Ghulam Mohamed
Saroori, contesting from Inderwal Assembly constituency, injuring
one of his supporters.
- September 16, 1996: Terrorists lob a
grenade at the residence of Ghulam Masram Gillani, NC candidate contesting
from Budgam constituency. No loss of life or injuries are reported.
- September 16, 1996: Terrorists hurl
a petrol bomb at the residence of Mohammed Syed Akhoon, NC candidate
from Hazratbal constituency.
- September 18, 1996: NC activists attacked
while on their way to Bagna from Doda. Two persons, including a SF
- September 18, 1996: Terrorists lob grenade
at the house of Mohammed Ramzan Chowdry, NC candidate from Handwara
- September 19, 1996: Unidentified terrorists
hurl a hand grenade in the vicinity of the house of Ramzan Chowdory.
The grenade fails to explode and is later defused by SFs.
- September 21, 1996: Terrorists lob a
grenade at the house of former Member of the Legislative Assembly,
Mohammed Sultan Bhat.
- September 21, 1996: During polling day,
terrorists attack a polling booth at a Government. Girls Higher Secondary
School, damaging two SF vehicles.
- September 21, 1996: Terrorists launch
grenade attack on the house of Mohammed Shafi Bhat, National Conference
candidate from Amirabadal Assembly constituency.
- September 22, 1996: Terrorists set ablaze
the house of Habib-ur-Rehman, BJP candidate from Shangas constituency,
causing some damage to the house.
- September 22/23, 1996: The residence
of Mirza Muzaffer Beg, INC candidate from Doda constituency is set
ablaze by unidentified terrorists.
- September 23, 1996: A powerful bomb
explosion occurs at an election rally being addressed by State Chief
Minister Farooq Abdullah. Two persons are killed while 20 more sustain
- September 23, 1996: In the vicinity
of an election meeting being addressed by BJP candidate D.K. Ketwal,
terrorists open fire. There are no casualties or injuries reported
- September 22/23, 1996 : A grenade attack
occurs on the house of Mohammed Shafi Shat, ex-National Conference
Member of Parliament and a candidate from the Amirabad Assembly constituency.
- September 24, 1996: The father-in-law
of Mohammed Yusuf Tarigami, Jammu and Kashmir State Secretary of the
Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPM), and a candidate from Kulgam
constituency, is shot dead by unidentified terrorists. His 13 year-old
son sustains injuries in the attack.
- September 25, 1996: A third grenade
attack takes place on the house of Ramjan Chaudhry.
- September 28, 1996: Terrorists launch
a grenade attack on the house of Nazir Ahmed Ganaj, the Janata Dal
candidate from Anantnag Assembly consitutency.
- September 29, 1996: Terrorists hurled
a grenade at the residence of Sadiq Ali, NC candidate from Zadibal
Assembly constituency. A security force personnel on duty at his house
is injured during this attack