Terrorism Update
Show/Hide Search
    Click to Enlarge

Suicide attacks in Jammu and Kashmir, 2007


June 1

Two soldiers died and 16 others inured in an encounter with two suicide squad (Fidayeen) cadres of the LeT follwing their attack on the Army convoy as well as STC of the J&K Police at Sheeri in the Baramulla district. Both the terrorists were also killed in the gun-battle. LeT spokesman, Abdullah Ghaznavi, claimed that the incident at Sheeri was his groupís Fidayeen attack. He claimed that five police personnel and six soldiers of the army were killed and 15 more injured and confirmed that both the suicide squad cadres were killed in the operation.

July 26

In a Fidayeen attack, SFs killed both the militants at an encampment on the premises of Bhaba Atomic Research Centre at Zakoora on the outskirts of capital Srinagar. Director General of Police, Kuldeep Khoda, informed that two LeT militants made an unsuccessful attempt to sneak into a formation of the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force at the defunct BARC facility at Zakoora. Both the militants, who emerged from a deserted orchard, lobbed hand grenades and opened gunfire on the pillboxes in the rear of the camp. Even as eight soldiers sustained injuries, the troops shot dead both the militants and also recovered two AK-56 rifles and three hand grenades from their possession. He said that one of the slain militants was identified as Feroz Ahmed Khan, a resident of Kangan in the Kashmir valley, and another was believed to be a Pakistani national. A LeT spokesman, Abdullah Ghaznavi claimed responsibility of the two-and-a-half-hour-long attacks and reportedly identified the slain militants as Feroz Khan alias Abu Muslim and a "guest militant" Abu Ma'az.

October 11-12

Two suicide bombers were killed and three paramilitary personnel wounded in a suicide attack on a CRPF camp near the Dal Lake in capital Srinagar. The two heavily armed suicide militants entered into the makeshift battalion headquarters of the CRPF on October 11. Police and CRPF personnel on October 12 killed the two suicide bombers. The spokesman of the LeT, Abdullah Ghaznavi, in a satellite telephonic conversation from Pakistan claimed that a suicide squad from his group had stormed the camp.

November 11, 2007

Two 'Fidayeen' cadres of the Lashkar-e-Toiba, holed up in a hotel at Sopore town in the Baramulla district for the past three days, were killed by SFs. One Central Reserve Police Force personnel too was killed and six others wounded in the encounter.


Source: Constructed from media reports





Copyright © 2001 SATP. All rights reserved.