Terrorism Update
Show/Hide Search
    Click to Enlarge

FATA Timeline - Year 2004

January 8

The Pakistan Army is reported to have launched an operation against the al Qaeda at Kalosha in South Waziristan. However, no one was arrested though the houses of four tribesmen were destroyed for sheltering "unwanted elements."

January 9

Four soldiers were killed during a rocket attack on a Pakistan Army camp at Zeray Noor village in South Waziristan, several hours after a military operation in the area in which three houses of tribesmen were demolished for allegedly harbouring "foreign terrorists". Mohammad Azam Khan, political agent of South Waziristan, said "Preliminary probe showed that the rockets came from the south from an area inhabited by the Zalikhels, a section of the Wazir tribe. We would now initiate action against the Zalikhel tribe under the terms of the territorial responsibility."

January 10

The political administration of South Waziristan has reportedly given a 48-hour ultimatum to the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe to surrender three wanted tribesmen charged with harbouring 'foreign terrorists'. This ultimatum comes in the wake of the January 9 rocket attack on a Pakistan Army camp in the area that killed four soldiers and wounded several others. The ultimatum was given to a Jirga (tribal council) of Ahmadzai Wazir tribe in Wana, headquarters of South Waziristan. More than 50 tribal elders belonging to the nine sub-tribes of Ahmadzai Wazir attended the Jirga. Among them were heads of the Yargulkhel section of the tribe to which the wanted men reportedly belong.

January 12

Under a deal reportedly reached with the government, the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe would raise a tribal Lashkar (force) to hunt down about 22 tribesmen wanted by the political administration of South Waziristan for allegedly sheltering al Qaeda and Taliban suspects and for the rocket attack against the Pakistan Army and Frontier Corps camps. The agreement was reached during a Jirga held in Wana.

January 14

Two more wanted men were turned over to the government in South Waziristan as tribal elders stepped up their efforts to arrest the 57 tribesmen accused of sheltering al Qaeda and Taliban suspects. This brought to five, the number of wanted tribesmen the Ahmadzai Wazir tribal elders have delivered to the political administration in Wana, over the last two days.

January 15

Ten more wanted men were delivered by their respective tribes to the government in South Waziristan.

February 13

A Jirga of hundreds of Utmanzai tribesmen in Miranshah has reportedly decided to raise a militia to hunt down foreign militants hiding in the region bordering Afghanistan. "They have vowed to catch al-Qaeda and the Taliban men in the area and hand them over to the government," a local official in North Waziristan, Sherzada Khan said.

February 23

Pakistan said that some al Qaeda terrorists were still hiding in the Waziristan region. Interior Minister Makhdoom Faisal Saleh Hayat said in Islamabad that the tribal elders of South and North Waziristan had handed over some al Qaeda suspects hiding there. He added, "But some of them are still hiding there and the Government of Pakistan would take every step to arrest them."

February 24

Pakistani security agencies launched an operation against suspected terrorists taking shelter in the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan. At least 20 al Qaeda suspects, including some foreign nationals, are reported to have been arrested during these raids. Director General of ISPR, Maj. Gen Shaukat Sultan, said that foreign nationals were among those captured in the Azam Warsak and Shkai areas. Foreign national women were arrested from Azam Warsak, some 12 kilometers west of Wana, headquarters of South Waziristan. Unnamed officials were quoted as saying that Saudi, Egyptian and Yemeni nationals were among those detained and others could be Uzbeks or Chechens. The Government had set February 20 as the deadline for tribal elders to hand over al Qaeda operatives and thus far approximately 58 suspects have been turned over.

February 27

The United States has handed over to Pakistan a list of 53 al Qaeda suspects believed to be hiding in South Waziristan.

February 29

Suspected terrorists are reported to have fired two missiles at a military base in Miranshah, headquarters of North Waziristan. There was no loss of life or damage to property. The missiles were reportedly fired from the border area of Ghulam Khan, a few kilometers north of Miranshah.

March 3-4

Paramilitary personnel and Pakistan Army soldiers manning pickets close to the Afghanistan border in South Waziristan came under rocket attack. However, there were no reports of fatalities.

Continuing the crackdown on 'non-cooperative' South Waziristan tribes, the administration arrested 16 tribesmen including four Yargulkhel and Kakakhel Wazir sub-tribes' elders and the chief of Ahmedzai tribe. Two of the three most wanted men - Naik Muhammad and Sharif - reportedly belong to the Yargulkhel sub-tribe while the third - Maulvi Abbas - belongs to the Ashrafkhel sub-tribe, which was fined Rupees 1.2 million on March 1.

March 4

Four persons were injured during a bomb explosion near the Rustum Bazaar area in Wana.

March 7

Elders of the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe decided to raise a 600-strong armed force to track al Qaeda and Taliban operatives in South Waziristan. More than 3,000 tribesmen assembled at Wana to warn locals not to provide shelter to foreign nationals. They also decided that if a local tribesman provided shelter to any foreigner, his house will be demolished and a fine of Rupees one million will be imposed on him along with expulsion from the region.

March 15

President Pervez Musharraf said in Peshawar that the masterminds behind terrorist attacks in the country and the suicide attempts on his life were hiding in the tribal belt along the Afghanistan border. "We have busted a complete network and found leads that a Libyan national was involved in the suicide attempts on my life. He has not been arrested so far and we also still don't know who ordered the attacks," said the President. He also said that Pakistanis were being recruited, trained in terrorism and offered millions of rupees by these elements to carry out suicide missions. According to Musharraf, "We have information that 500 to 600 foreign nationals were staying in our country, especially in South Waziristan."

March 18

Pakistani troops are believed to have surrounded the second-in-command of al Qaeda, Ayman al-Zawahri, in an operation near the Afghanistan border, three senior Pakistani officials said. The officials said that intelligence indicated the Egyptian-born al-Zawahri has been cornered in an operation that commenced on March 16 in South Waziristan. At least 41 people, including 15 troops and 26 suspected terrorists, were killed on March 16 during clashes in the area, and Army spokesperson Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan said there were an unknown number of casualties in continuing action.

The Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA) regime in the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) asked the Federal Government to immediately stop the military operation in South Waziristan.

March 19

The operation against al Qaeda and Taliban fugitives in South Waziristan continued with exchange of fire, said Director-General of the ISPR Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan. The army and para-military soldiers have reportedly cordoned off a 50-kilometer area and about 300 to 400 foreign and local terrorists are present at about seven targets in the region. According to Sultan, two terrorists, including one foreigner, were killed. Four terrorists, one of them a foreigner, were arrested while nine of them reportedly returned to their hideouts in the area. He also said that authorities have no confirmed reports about presence of high-value targets in South Waziristan.

An unnamed security official said that al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri may have narrowly escaped the raid. "He may have slipped the net," the official said.

March 21

Fighting subsided in South Waziristan as a grand tribal Jirga sought a cease-fire to facilitate medical assistance to the injured and retrieve the bodies of those killed during the last four days. However, helicopter gun-ships reportedly continued to attack terrorist hideouts in the targeted villages. Brigadier (retd.) Mahmud Shah, Secretary (Security) for the FATA, claimed that two Chechen terrorists were killed when they attempted to escape from the area. Members of the 150-member Jirga, which includes representatives of six tribal agencies, met political agent of South Waziristan, Mohammad Azam Khan, in Wana and sought his co-operation for its peace mission.

March 22

At least 13 soldiers were killed and 22 others sustained injuries as terrorists ambushed a Pakistan Army convoy near the town of Wana in South Waziristan.

Unnamed officials said in Wana that some of the al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists could have escaped through a series of tunnels connecting the mud-walled fortresses in the area. Brigadier (retd) Mehmood Shah, security chief for the Tribal Areas, said that "The tunnels begin in houses in Kaloosha village and lead towards a mountain range that straddles the Pakistan-Afghanistan border."

March 23

Uzbekistan has demanded the extradition of any of its citizens detained among the suspected terrorists surrounded by soldiers during the ongoing operations against the al Qaeda along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. The Government has given the Pakistani Embassy a statement declaring that any Uzbek citizen taken prisoner must be handed over to Uzbekistan's Justice Department, which is an "international norm", President Islam Karimov said at a press conference in the capital Tashkent. Unconfirmed reports indicated that front ranking Uzbek terrorist Tahir Yuldash of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan could one of "high-value" targets holed up in the Waziristan area. "Yuldash is a criminal like many others who must appear before the court," Karimov said.

A helicopter gunship fired at four armed men in the cordoned off area in South Waziristan.

Three persons were arrested in connection with the March 22 ambush of an army convoy that killed 13 soldiers and wounded another 24.

March 24

A bridge built during the British rule was blown up during a bomb blast at Kot Langarkhel village near Ladha town in South Waziristan even as a group of tribal elders continued their efforts to seek the release of 14 Government officials held hostage by the terrorists.

Meanwhile, authorities confirmed that the two tribesmen who were fired at by a helicopter gunship in the Kalothay area had died. The number of Pakistan Army and paramilitary Frontier Corps personnel who have died in the ongoing South Waziristan operations now stood at 60. Another 45 troops were wounded and 24 were missing.

The Islamabad Police have reportedly launched a crackdown against at least 11 top religious leaders for issuing a Fatwa (edict) against the ongoing Army operations against the al Qaeda and Taliban in the Wana area of South Waziristan. Two of them serving in the Lal Masjid mosque and secretariat mosque have reportedly been dismissed from service.

March 26

The casualties suffered by the Pakistan Army in the ongoing military operations against Taliban and al Qaeda in South Waziristan rose to 43 when bodies of eight missing soldiers were found by members of a pro-government tribal Lashkar (force). These soldiers are believed to have gone missing when terrorists ambushed their convoy near Sarwakai Tehsil on March 22. Corps Commander Peshawar, Lt-Gen Safdar Hussain, confirmed that the mutilated bodies of eight soldiers were found by the Mahsud tribal Lashkar and delivered to the authorities.

Pamphlets in Pashto language threatening those opposing the al Qaeda and Taliban and their local supporters with dire consequences were reportedly found in circulation at Sarwakai and Ladha in South Waziristan. Brigadier Mehmood Shah, chief regional security commander for the tribal zone, said in Islamabad that around 163 people have been arrested in the ongoing operations.

"All are suspects. They are Uzbeks, Chechens, Afghans and local tribesmen and some are Arabs,"

March 28

Security forces are reported to have withdrawn from the Azam Warsak area in South Waziristan after terrorists freed 12 paramilitary troops they had taken prisoner.

March 29

The Pakistan military announced that the al Qaeda intelligence chief, Abdullah, was killed during recent military operations in the Wana area of South Waziristan. However, no further details were provided during the announcement made by the Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan, at a press conference in Islamabad. Sultan also confirmed that an Uzbek national Tahir Yuldeshev, injured during the operations, was on the run. "Altogether 63 miscreants have been killed, maybe there are more but this number is confirmed. One hundred sixty-three have been arrested; 50 people have been released after interrogation. This operation went on for two weeks and we have managed to seal the area and ensure that no one slips away," disclosed Sultan.

Two South Waziristan Agency political administration officials abducted by suspected Al Qaeda terrorists and their local collaborators on March 16 were found dead.

March 30

The Director General of ISPR, Shaukat Sultan, said in Islamabad that Abdullah, killed during the military operation in South Waziristan, was a minor al Qaeda operative based in Wana. Sultan had claimed on March 29 that Abdullah was the intelligence chief of the al Qaeda. According to him, "Abdullah is not really the intelligence chief of al-Qaeda… but he was one of the top intelligence people in Wana for al-Qaeda."

March 31

More than 3,000 armed tribesmen from the Mahsud tribe reportedly assembled in South Waziristan to become part of a force that would launch operations against al Qaeda suspects who killed 20 soldiers and wounded another 24 in an ambush on a military convoy on March 22. Mahsud tribal elders said they expected the force in Spinkai Raghzai village to increase to 6,000 soon.

Police are reported to have recovered a large cache of arms and ammunition from an unnamed town near the Afghan border that were intended for "terrorist" activities. The cache includes several rockets, hand-grenades, mortar shells, incendiary agents, detonators, anti-aircraft gun shells, timer fuses for bombs and mines, said police officer Gul Khan.

Interior Minister Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat said in Islamabad that the Islamist alliance MMA was patronizing terrorists holed up in the Wana area of South Waziristan. "The MMA should cooperate with the government and help it net the terrorists," said Hayat. He added that the MMA had been exploiting the Wana situation to make political gains instead of co-operating with the Government in flushing out the terrorists from tribal areas.

April 8

Two days ahead of the Federal Government's deadline seeking his surrender, Nek Mohammed, the most wanted militant commander in South Waziristan, has said that he would neither give up arms nor accept military interference in the FATA. He further warned that any new military offensive in South Waziristan would provoke his supporters to launch attacks against the troops and Government installations in all seven tribal agencies.

April 14

Three Zalikhel sub-tribes formed a 1500-man force in Wana to help authorities fight the al Qaeda remnants and their supporters. Elders from Kakakhel, Sheikh Bazaid and Utmankhel tribes announced the formation of the force following pressure from an all-tribes Jirga who had reportedly warned the Zalikhel sub-tribes of "real danger" if they did not unite against al Qaeda and its local supporters.

April 18

A 1950-strong tribal force is reported to have launched operations targeting al Qaeda operatives and their local supporters in South Waziristan. They demolished the house of a tribal suspected of sheltering al Qaeda terrorists in Azam Warsak and launched operations in the Shin Warsak, Seirkamar, Kalusha, Manra, Parvezi Raghzai and Azam Warsak areas.

April 22

Five tribal elders accused of sheltering al Qaeda terrorists in the Waziristan area have reportedly offered to surrender. Brigadier Mahmood Shah, chief of security for the tribal regions, said that local lawmakers met the men - Nek Muhammad, Haji Sharif, Maulana Abdul Aziz, Maulvi Abbas and Haji Noorul Islam - at an undisclosed location and relayed their offer to surrender.

April 24

Five tribesmen accused of sheltering al Qaeda terrorists surrendered to the Pakistan army at a tribal council. The five men from the Zalikhel tribe turned themselves in before a council and also reportedly pledged loyalty to Pakistan in return for clemency. The ceremony occurred at a Madrassa (seminary) in Shakai, 20 kilometers north of Wana, in South Waziristan. "We give amnesty to these people in return for their pledge of brotherhood and loyalty," said Peshawar Corps Commander Lt Gen Safdar Hussain. "I congratulate Nek and his colleagues on their courageous decision. You are our brothers and your allegiance pledge is exemplary," Gen Hussain added after the wanted men joined him in the ceremony. The General also said that foreign terrorists had until April 30 to surrender and receive a pardon. He also announced the release of 50 tribesmen arrested last month and a grant of Rupees 90.1 million for development in Waziristan.

April 28

Interior Minister Faisal Saleh Hayat said in Islamabad that the amnesty offer for foreigners sheltering in tribal areas was open to all but top al Qaeda and Taliban leaders.

April 29

Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov said in Tashkent that terrorists responsible for the coordinated series of attacks during March 2004 that killed at least 47 people were based in Pakistan along that country's border with Afghanistan. "The main base where the terrorists found refuge is South Waziristan," Karimov told a press conference during a parliamentary session. Suspects detained after a series of suicide bombings, explosions and assaults in the capital Tashkent and the central region of Bukhara had confessed that they had been in South Waziristan and that they had links to people operating there, said the President.

16 persons arrested during the military operations in South Waziristan during March 2004 were released. Their release brought to 66 the number of persons freed following the amnesty agreement between the Pakistan Army and Islamist leaders on April 24 at Shakai in South Waziristan. 50 men were released the next day under the terms of the unwritten agreement.

May 1

The South Waziristan political administration released 78 tribesmen arrested last month during operations against al Qaeda. According to Brigadier (Retd) Mehmood Shah, only 22 tribesmen remain in custody. A total of 163 people were arrested in that operation and 141 persons have been released thus far.

May 2

Authorities in South Waziristan freed 14 more tribesmen held during the March 2004 operations against al Qaeda in Wana, bringing to 155 the number of people released under the April 24 pact.

May 5

A tribal Jirga at Lowara in North Waziristan asked the Pakistan Army and paramilitary forces to withdraw from the area as the tribesmen would defend the country's western frontiers against the US-led coalition forces. Leaders of the Alikhun Khel, Bashi Khel, Nazar Khel, Hizar Khel and Tanarai tribes attended the Jirga in which more than 100 armed youth allegedly expressed displeasure over the US troops' briefly crossing Pakistani territory on May 4. The Jirga also said that if US forces violated the border again, they would be attacked.

A joint delegation of clerics from the Mehsud and Wazir tribes commenced a dialogue with foreign elements, linked to the al Qaeda and Taliban, over their registration with the political administration in return for amnesty.

The Government has announced that it will not extend the deadline - for foreign combatants to surrender - that expires on May 7.

May 8

The Federal Government extended until May 10 the deadline for 'foreign terrorists' in South Waziristan to get themselves registered with the authorities and avail of the amnesty offer. "The extension has been granted on the demand of Nek Muhammad," South Waziristan Political Administrator Asmatullah Gandapur told the media in Wana.

May 10

Tribesmen in South Waziristan announced the formation of an armed force to neutralise foreign terrorists and their local protectors following the failure of talks between the Government and representatives of the tribesmen. The Ahmadzai Wazirs announced the formation of a 1,800-strong force to launch search operations in the areas where the Government suspects foreign terrorists have been holed up.

May 17

Pakistani women are being trained to become suicide bombers by the widow of an Uzbek terrorist. Intelligence agencies have reportedly submitted reports to the Interior Ministry revealing that Aziza, a citizen of Uzbekistan and widow of Ubaidullah, an active member of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, is allegedly training female suicide bombers at a base in Pakistan's mountains. Ubaidullah was reportedly killed in January 2004 during an operation in South Waziristan conducted by the armed forces of Pakistan.

May 17

The Ahmadzai Wazir tribal force that reached Azam Warsak, 15 kilometers from Wana, to carry out search operations is reported to have failed to locate any foreign terrorist.

May 19

Security agencies in Peshawar are reported to have arrested five al Qaeda suspects who had allegedly escaped during the Pakistan Army operation in South Waziristan.

May 20

The armed force of Ahmadzai Wazir tribe is reported to have failed in its efforts to arrest any foreign terrorist in the Shakai area of South Waziristan. The force, comprising thousands of armed tribesmen, searched Spirkai and other areas inhibited by the Khojakhel, Khonikhel and Etikhel sub-tribes of Ahmadzai.

May 21

A meeting chaired by President Pervez Musharraf is reported to have decided to take serious action against those harbouring foreign elements in the tribal areas. "Pakistan will not compromise on the fight against terrorism and foreign elements hiding in the tribal areas have no place. If they do not surrender, they will be eliminated," an ISPR press release quoted him as saying.

Pakistan has officially protested an incursion by US troops into its territory while hunting al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists. This is reportedly the second such incident this month. The incursion allegedly occurred on May 20 in North Waziristan when they crossed the border during a search operation in village parts of which are on both sides of the border, said Foreign Office spokesperson Masood Khan.

May 29

Political authorities in South Waziristan arrested dozens of Ahmadzai Wazir tribesmen as part of a strategy to pressure them into turning over foreign terrorists for registration. In the latest crackdown on Ahmadzai tribe, the authorities arrested 34 tribesmen besides nine notables from the Zalikhel tribe.

May 30

The administration has sealed Wana, headquarters of South Waziristan, by closing thousands of shops and impounding dozens of vehicles as part of economic sanctions announced against the defiant tribesmen. At least 64 tribesmen, including 13 elders from Ahmadzai Wazirs, were arrested during the last two days for their alleged failure to get foreign nationals registered with the Government. Army and paramilitary forces have reportedly been deployed at hilltops close to the Shakai area even as hotels, business establishments and hospitals belonging to the Ahmadzai Wazirs remained closed amidst fears of a military operation.

June 3

A suspected Uzbek operative of the al Qaeda and a soldier of Shawal Scouts were killed in a suspected suicide attack, while two soldiers sustained injuries at a check-post in North Waziristan. The Uzbek attacked the militiamen at the Dumdail check-post, 20 kilometers south of Miranshah, headquarters of North Waziristan, when a passenger coach in which he was traveling from Miranshah to Razmak was signaled to stop.

June 8

Protesting against the launching of military operations against tribesmen in Wana, 11 parliamentarians from the FATA announced withdrawal of support to the Federal Government.

A 4,000-strong armed tribal force charged with tracking down al Qaeda/Taliban fugitives in Waziristan is reported to have found cave shelters near the Afghanistan border where foreign terrorists may have been hiding recently.

South Waziristan Agency's political administration asked the Yargulkhel sub-tribe to produce four men, including Nek Muhammad, within 24 hours or face punishment. A house-to-house search for foreign terrorists entered the second day in Shakai without any results. Nek Muhammad and his group, earlier on the most-wanted list of the Federal Government, were pardoned under the Shakai deal with the military on April 24. However, the notice to the Yargulkhels did not state charges on which the Government had asked for the surrender of Nek Muhammad, Haji Sharif, Maulvi Noor Islam and Maulvi Abdul Aziz.

June 9

At least 25 persons, including 17 security force personnel, were killed and 11 persons sustained injuries during a gun-battle with terrorists in the Tiyarza area of South Waziristan. Nek Muhammad, who fought the army in March 2004 and was later pardoned on April 24 in the 'Shakai deal', has reportedly accepted responsibility for the attack.

June 10

Attacks on military and paramilitary forces continued for the second day in South Waziristan even as bodies of four more suspected foreign terrorists were reportedly found increasing the death toll to 41. Twenty suspected foreign terrorists, four locals, including a woman, and 17 paramilitary personnel have been killed thus far. While suspected al Qaeda terrorists and their tribal supporters reportedly fired eight rockets and missiles at a military camp in Zerhinoor, the Scouts Camp in Wana was targeted with four rockets.

The South Waziristan administration has asked people living between Tiyarza Fort and Torwam to immediately vacate their houses in order to initiate military operations. Consequently, hundreds of families were reportedly moving to safer locations.

The Federal Government has ordered security forces in South Waziristan to 'capture or kill' five tribal militants who were granted amnesty on April 24, 2004. The authorities have decided to rescind the amnesty after the five militants had reneged on their promise to get foreign militants under their protection registered with the authorities. The five, Nek Muhammad, Haji Sharif, Noor Islam, Maulavai Abbas and Maulavi Abdul Aziz, were pardoned when Corps Commander, Peshawar, Lt. Gen. Safdar Hussain, announced the amnesty in return for their pledge to remain peaceful and not to use Pakistan's soil against any other country.

June 11

In Peshawar, following tribal militant leader Nek Muhammad's threat to launch terrorist attacks, security agencies suspended all mobile phone services in the provincial metropolis. The threat was made in connection with the ongoing military operations in South Waziristan and other tribal areas.

On day three of the military operations against suspected al Qaeda and Taliban fugitives in South Waziristan, the Pakistani Army backed by Air Force fighter jets, gunship helicopters and artillery, are reported to have neutralised many terrorist hideouts. According to reports, fighting in the area has left 58 persons dead, including 15 security force personnel, during the last three days. Four jet-fighters bombed terrorist hideouts at Shakai in the early hours and continued to hit other targets in the adjoining areas. Later, gunship helicopters reportedly flew over the area strafing positions of the terrorists. Further, at least 26 helicopters flew overhead with some of them airdropping army commandoes to secure the area. At least 10 choppers landed at Naway Kot and are reported to have destroyed the homes of two tribesmen, Dawar Khan and Eida Khan, who were accused of sheltering the fugitives. There were also reports that at least 40 houses used by the suspected terrorists, who reportedly include Uzbeks, Chechens, Afghans and some Arabs, were attacked from the air.

Military regime spokesperson Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan said the military had responded with "appropriate measures" against miscreants who violated the April 24-Shakai agreement between the Government and tribesmen. Sultan also said the latest fighting resulted in the deaths of 35 terrorists and 15 soldiers and added that operations were continuing as of early evening and described the situation as being fluid.

June 13

The army said that it had killed at least 55 terrorists and dismantled several al Qaeda compounds in four days of fighting in South Waziristan. 17 soldiers are reported to have died in these clashes and no major arrests were made. Military regime spokesperson Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan said army and paramilitary troops "successfully dismantled and destroyed" terrorist hideouts and that "most militants killed were foreigners."

Security forces killed at least eight suspected terrorists who tried to sneak into Angoradda from Afghanistan in three vehicles.

June 14

At least three paramilitary personnel were reportedly killed and three more sustained injuries when a bomb blew up their vehicle at Aidak village in North Waziristan.

June 15

Unidentified assailants fired rockets at different places in South Waziristan even as the security forces killed a suspected Chechen terrorist during an encounter at Jandola check post.

June 16

At least six persons, including three soldiers, were killed and an unspecified number of them sustained injuries during an encounter after suspected terrorists attacked a paramilitary checkpoint in the Ladah area of South Waziristan. The terrorists targeted the Scouts Fort in Ladah with heavy and light weapons, which was retaliated by the army and the paramilitary forces stationed at the fort.

Missiles were reportedly fired at the Ziyarinoor Army Colony on the same day. However, no loss of life was reported.

June 17

Fighter jets and helicopter gun-ships targeted hideouts of suspected foreign terrorists and their local supporters at Angoor Adda in South Waziristan. Fighter jets reportedly bombed Baghar, Shanavana, Laghara and Mila villages near the Afghanistan border. However, the number of fatalities could not be ascertained as the military had sealed off all routes and roads leading to the area.

Terrorists fired seven rockets on a paramilitary fort in Serwakai. There were similar attacks at military positions in Kaniguram and Tiarza. Nek Muhammad, the wanted militant leader, was killed along with five associates during a missile attack on his hideout near Wana.

A precision-guided missile hit his hideout around 9.45 pm (PST) in Dhok village, four kilometers north of Wana. The house-owner's two young sons, Yasin and Tor, were also killed. The dead reportedly also included Marez Khan, Shahrukh Khan and Leetak, close associates of Nek Muhammad. Major General Shaukat Sultan, military spokesperson, while confirming his death said that the army targeted Nek Muhammad on the basis of specific intelligence information. He also denied reports that the US military assisted the Pakistan Army or on its own planned the operation to kill Nek.

June 20

Haji Mohammad Omar is appointed 'acting commander' of the group of Islamist terrorists to succeed the deceased Nek Muhammad. Omar's elder brothers Haji Sharif Khan and Nur Islam are on the Federal Government's wanted list for allegedly sheltering al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists in South Waziristan.

Authorities in Wana renewed an amnesty offer to foreign terrorists hiding in the area near the Afghan border.

June 27

Security forces in South Waziristan arrested Muhammad Nazir, an al Qaeda 'commander', and his two associates at Zalai check-post when they were coming from Angoor Ada to Wana.

June 28

NWFP Governor Lt. Gen. (retd) Syed Iftikhar Hussein Shah said that a 40-member Jirga (council) of elders from the Ahmedzai Wazir tribe had lifted economic sanctions in the tribal belt for ten days beginning today.

June 29

Unidentified terrorists are reported to have fired 10 rockets at paramilitary installations and offices of the political administration at Razmak in South Waziristan. However, most of them missed their intended targets. Three rockets were fired from the north of the Razmak Fort and two of them landed a few meters away from the boundary walls of the fort while the third hit the ground near Makeen area. Paramilitary personnel and terrorists reportedly exchanged gun-fire for several hours although the latter managed to escape. Further, seven rockets were fired at the Dosali check-post and offices of the political administration. No fatalities were reported.

A Jirga (council) of the Ahmedzai Wazir tribe gave the Kakakhel and Karmazkhel sub-tribes two days to hand over Maulvi Abbas and Muhammad Javed - wanted by the Federal Government - or face consequences.

July 2

Two of the 10 most-wanted tribal militants surrendered to political authorities in South Waziristan.

July 5

The Federal Government is reported to have arrived at a five-point agreement with four tribes at Shakai in South Waziristan. The tribes have promised to support the Federal Government against foreign terrorists and their local patrons. FATA security chief, Brig (retd) Mehmood Shah, said that with the signing of the agreement, the situation in Shakai was under total control. He said Chief Administrator Asmatullah Gandapur signed the deal on the Government's behalf while former federal minister Faridullah Khan represented the Shakai tribes. Under the agreement, the Sperkai, Shudyakai, Khunyakhel and Khojelkhel sub-tribes pledged that they would not allow foreigners in their areas, would hand over the wanted tribesmen and protect army and government officials. This was the second Shakai Agreement after the April 24 deal between the army and Nek Muhammad, the tribal militant leader, who was killed during the June 17 missile attack in Wana.

July 6

The Federal Government and the Islamist alliance MMA agreed to co-operate on the issue of registration of foreigners in Wana and on steps to combat sectarianism and terrorism. The agreement was reached during a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Shujaat Hussain and attended by top Government officials and MMA leaders in Islamabad.

July 7

An Army camp in the Shakai region of South Waziristan was attacked with rockets and mortars. However, there were no casualties.

July 10

Suspected terrorists and armed forces exchanged fire as deadline for surrender of the wanted tribesmen expired and tribal elders sought more time to handover the alleged abettors of foreigners hiding in South Waziristan. Reports from Shakai stated that terrorists attacked a security post of the forces in Mantoi area. Media reports added that the army targeted terrorist positions with heavy weapons from Zari Noor and Tiarza army camps.

July 11

Security forces clashed with suspected al Qaeda terrorists who attacked the troops with rockets and mortars in South Waziristan. Army spokesperson Maj. Gen Shaukat Sultan said there were no casualties. Unconfirmed reports said that two young boys from the Toor tribe were killed in the exchange of gunfire and one girl was wounded.

July 12

Ten civilians, including a woman and two children, were killed during continuing clashes between foreign terrorists and security forces in South Waziristan. While six persons, including a woman, died when an artillery shell hit the residence of Qayyum Khunyakhel in Khunyakhel village, four persons, including two children, reportedly died when a shell hit another house.

Further, six soldiers were wounded when a landmine hit their vehicle in the Azam Warsak area. In North Waziristan, seven missiles were fired at the Razmak Fort although there were no fatalities.

July 13

Two children were killed during a mortar attack by suspected al Qaeda-linked terrorists on a military check-post near Wana in South Waziristan.

July 14

Pakistan has reportedly asked the United States for more intelligence to help its forces neutralise top al Qaeda terrorists believed to be hiding near the Afghan border.

July 15

A civilian and a soldier were killed while two soldiers sustained injuries during a gun-battle between the troops and terrorists near Shakai in South Waziristan.

Wanted tribal militant, Maulana Shaukatullah, is reported to have surrendered to the political administration. The surrender occurred in the presence of tribal elders from Shakai, led by former senator Faridullah Khan, at the South Waziristan Agency political administrator's office in Wana.

July 16

Three tribesmen were killed and six others injured in an exchange of fire between army personnel and militants in South Waziristan.

July 19

Three terrorists are reported to have been killed and six others sustained injuries during an encounter with the troops near Mantoi valley in South Waziristan.

At least 27 persons belonging to the Karmazkhel and Malikkhel sub-tribes of Ahmadzai Wazir are reported to have surrendered to the political administration in Wana.

July 20

Security force personnel killed at least ten foreign terrorists while targeting two hideouts with artillery and gunship helicopters at Shakai in South Waziristan. Among those dead are believed to be two Uzbeks.

Heavy fighting and bombing by Pakistani fighter jets took place in the Santoi and Mantoi areas of South Waziristan.

July 21

At least four soldiers were wounded when their vehicle hit a landmine at Toor bridge near Wana.

Suspected terrorists fired some rockets and missiles at different places in Wana although no loss of life was reported. One of the rockets reportedly landed close to the residence of Political Agent Asmatullah Gandhapur.

Six relatives of the two most wanted tribesmen are reported to have surrendered to the political authorities of South Waziristan. The six persons - Hazar Dastan, father of 'commander' Javed, Alam Zeb, Abdul Wahab, Roshan Gul, Jan Muhammad and Sawab Khan - were handed over to the authorities by the Ahmadzai Wazir tribal council as replacement of 'commander' Javed and Maulavi Abbas, the two wanted tribesmen who have refused to surrender thus far.

July 27

Suspected terrorists detonated two remote-controlled explosives targeting a newly established state-run radio station at Wana. However, no loss of life was reported.

July 28

A minor girl was killed and two army personnel sustained injuries during clashes with terrorists in South Waziristan. Terrorists are reported to have attacked the Scouts Camp and offices of the administration in Wana with at least five rockets. The girl died and two soldiers were injured when a rocket hit a residential quarter. The terrorists also reportedly targeted army and paramilitary positions in the Shakai area. While six rockets were fired at a temporary military camp established in a school in the area, seven missiles fitted with time devices were recovered in the vicinity of Wana.

The troops targeted terrorist hideouts in the forest-covered Khamrang, Mantoi and Santoi areas near the border with Afghanistan. However, no causality was reported.

In South Waziristan, leaders of Ahmadzai Wazir handed over six persons to the administration for allegedly providing shelter to al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists.

August 1

One soldier was killed and six others were injured when an army convoy hit a remote-controlled explosive device at Pash Ziarat near Shawain in North Waziristan.

August 2

A soldier is reported to have died while three others sustained injuries when a military water tanker hit a landmine planted by unidentified terrorists near Shakai in South Waziristan.

One soldier and a civilian were wounded during a terrorist attack in North Waziristan. The economic blockade of Ahmadzai Wazir tribesmen was re-imposed on the same day following failure of a tribal Jirga in facilitating the surrender of wanted tribesmen Muhammad Javed and Maulvi Abbas to the administration within the stipulated period.

August 3

The Pakistan Army said that it had 'flushed out' al Qaeda-linked terrorists hiding in South Waziristan near the border with Afghanistan during recent operations. "Security forces during recent operations in Shakai and adjacent Santoi, Mantoi and Khamrang valleys in South Waziristan Agency have not only flushed out terrorists from the areas, but also seized a large cache of arms," said a military statement. "These operations have eliminated the main stronghold of terrorists in South Waziristan," the statement added. It said security forces seized cannons, mortars, rocket launchers, grenades, rifles, fuses, anti-tank and anti-personnel mines, communication equipment, medicines and a large quantity of explosives.

August 5

At least 11 persons were killed and 12 others sustained injuries in an exchange of fire between troops and terrorists in different parts of South Waziristan.

August 6

At least six persons from the Khunyakhel sub-tribe of Ahmadzai Wazir died when several houses were hit by mortar shells fired by the security forces in pursuit of terrorists in Shakai.

Terrorists unsuccessfully tried to target the Shisha Picket outside Wana.

Troops arrested 30 suspects from Narai on suspicion of their involvement in the recent attack on a military convoy in Wana.

August 9

A driver was killed and 17 personnel of the Pakistan Army and Frontier Corps were wounded when a bus en route to Wana in South Waziristan was hit by an improvised explosive device.

August 10

Five wanted terrorists are reported to have surrendered to the political authorities in Wana. They were identified as Nazir Khan, Baitullah, Ghulam Nabi, Ajab Noor and Khair Mohammad.

August 12

The Mehsud tribe signed an agreement with the political administration of South Waziristan to join the army against terrorists in their areas. According to the agreement: the tribe will not allow terrorists to use their areas against the Government; terrorists will not be given shelter in the Badar area; terrorists will be caught and handed over to the administration and on the tribe will support the army in Badar, Shakai and Mantoi.

August 14

An Army soldier was killed and five persons, including four women, were injured in clashes between security forces and terrorists on the occasion of Independence Day in South Waziristan.

A rocket attack was made on a paramilitary Scouts Fort on the same day, when the soldiers were attending a function in connection with the Independence Day. There was no report of casualties in the attack.

August 16

A military spokesperson denied a report in the latest edition of Time magazine describing a "summit of terrorists" held during March 2004 in South Waziristan. Time quoted some unnamed US officials as saying the meeting may have been a "pivotal planning session" in the same way a meeting of al Qaeda operatives in year 2000 was used to discuss plans for the 9/11 strikes. Major-General Shaukat Sultan denied that any meeting took place. "The story is fictionalized that a high-level summit meeting took place in South Waziristan… There was no summit meeting," he said.

A soldier was killed and five others injured when suspected terrorists attacked a military outpost in the Shakai valley of South Waziristan.

August 17

President Pervez Musharraf said in Islamabad that successful operations have led to leading foreign terrorists relocating from the mountainous and tribal regions of Pakistan to cities and even to other countries. According to Gen. Musharraf, military operations in Wana, Shakai, Santoi and Mantoi villages of South Waziristan had forced these terrorists to move away to other cities and countries. He said the masterminds were foreigners who used local extremists for planning and executing terrorist activities in Pakistan.

Mohammad Sadiq, acting Pakistani Ambassador to the Untied States, told Fox Television that there are over 100,000 Pakistani troops on the country's border with Afghanistan.

August 18

Paramilitary troops stationed at the Zari Noor camp in South Waziristan attacked terrorist hideouts in the Joni Mela area with mortar guns. However, no loss of life was reported on either side.

The Zalikhel tribe reportedly held a Jirga (council) in Azam Warsak to discus whether to co-operate with the administration or not. All three sub-tribes, however, failed to reach a consensus on the issue.

The administration gave the Ganghikhel tribe, a sub-tribe of the Ahmedzai tribe, a list of 19 wanted men, including clerics Maulvi Akhtar and Maulvi Gulistan, accused of sheltering al Qaeda terrorists.

August 20

An Uzbek terrorist and a member of the Zalikhel sub-tribe were killed during the clashes between the terrorists and troops in the Santoi and Mantoi mountains of South Waziristan.

August 22

Opposition Leader in the National Assembly and Secretary-General of Islamist alliance, MMA, Maulana Fazlur Rehman has reportedly offered to resolve the crisis in South Waziristan. "I can not only mediate but also resolve the issue of foreigners, whom they call al-Qaeda," Rehman said.

August 23

Security forces are reported to have killed four Uzbek terrorists during an encounter in the Miranshah area of North Waziristan. "Four bodies have been brought so far and it is possible the number of casualties may be more," military regime spokesperson Maj.

Gen Shaukat Sultan said in a statement. Three soldiers were wounded in a landmine blast at Shakai in South Waziristan. The Utmankhel sub-tribe of the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe signed an agreement with authorities in South Waziristan under which they agreed not to protect terrorists in the area.

Leaders of the sub-tribe also handed over 25 Kalashnikov rifles to Assistant Political Agent Khan Bakhsh in Wana as a guarantee for providing security to the troops.

August 24

Four Uzbek nationals were arrested for alleged terrorist links during a raid in South Waziristan, Interior Minister Faisal Saleh Hayyat said.

Security forces have reportedly increased patrolling in North Waziristan, where troops raided a terrorist hideout on August 23 and killed four foreigners and arrested another two.

August 26

Two soldiers are reported to have died and five others sustained injuries during a bomb blast in the Lawarki area of South Waziristan. A remote-controlled bomb exploded at Lawarki near Kund Sarai when a convoy of 25 military vehicles was passing on way from Wana to Shakai.

Another bomb, planted at Wana-Jandola road near Zor Sarokai, exploded when a convoy of 20 military trucks was crossing the area. However, no causality was reported.

August 29

Two soldiers of the Frontier Corps were killed and eight others sustained injuries when terrorists fired three missiles on a camp of the troops at Wana in South Waziristan.

A military truck was blown up by a remote-controlled bomb at Maidano, close to Razmak, in North Waziristan killing at least one soldier and wounding three others. There was another explosion at the same spot where the military vehicle was destroyed while two unexploded bombs were recovered and later defused by the troops.

August 31

Two persons were wounded during a bomb explosion at Azam Warsak in South Waziristan.

In North Waziristan, tribesmen called a strike in the town of Miranshah to protest against the killings of three locals during an Army operation against the al Qaeda near the Afghan border.

September 5

Unidentified men launched rocket attacks targeting Government installations at Wana in South Waziristan. However, no loss of life or property was reported.

Two soldiers and a tribesman were killed and two persons injured during a landmine explosion at Jag Zawar in South Waziristan.

September 6

Officials in Wana, headquarters of South Waziristan, said that a device exploded when personnel of the 25 Engineering Corps were trying to defuse it in the Jag Zawar area, some 25 kilometers north of Wana.

September 8

Curfew was imposed after the killing of eight civilians and wounding of 18 others in an explosion followed by security forces' firing in Wana. Eight civilians died in the firing by the troops after the bomb explosion, which destroyed a military jeep and injured three soldiers, on a by-pass road in Wana. Fifteen others were wounded. Military regime spokesperson Major General Shaukat Sultan said on Pakistan Television that the army had arrested 28 people after the clash in Wana.

September 9

An anti-terrorism court in Karachi indicted the Waheed brothers for a series of charges, including providing medical treatment to al Qaeda activists and other terrorists, and for sending people to South Waziristan for terrorist training.

At least 50 terrorists, including some Chechens, Uzbeks and Arabs, are reported to have been killed and 120 others were wounded during an aerial raid on their training camp at Bad Awaz Garang in the Kaikhel area of South Waziristan.

A military convoy, en route to the west of Ludda sub-division, was attacked by terrorists near Karwan Manza, a mountainous area about 72km to the west of Wana.

September 10

Seven soldiers and six suspected terrorists were killed during clashes in the Kanigoram and Karwan Manza areas of South Waziristan.

Spokesperson of the 'commander' of tribal Taliban in Mahsud territory claimed that 43 soldiers of the Sindh Regiment have been held hostage during the September 9-night attacks on the Pakistan Army and have been shifted to 'safer places'. He also said these soldiers could be produced before the international media to prove the claim.

However, a military regime spokesman in Peshawar while rejecting the claim said, "no such thing has happened and this is all rumour mongering." Thousands of Mahsud tribals, including women and children, have deserted their houses from Karama to Ima Raghzai area in search of shelter and to avoid possible death due to the continuing clashes in the region.

September 12

At least 13 people, including five soldiers, were killed during clashes between the security forces and terrorists in an area inhabited largely by the Mahsud tribe in South Waziristan. While military regime spokesperson confirmed that the troops had suffered casualties, he declined to provide details while stating that operations were still continuing. The death toll on both sides during the four-day clashes has now reached 100. The troops, backed by Cobra helicopters, were targeting terrorist positions in Karwan Mayanz.

September 13

At least eight civilians were killed after army helicopters targeted suspected terrorist hideouts in the Makeen area of South Waziristan.

Two persons, including a woman, were killed and three children sustained injuries as terrorists and troops exchanged heavy fire on the night between September 12 and 13 at Karwan Manza and Makeen areas of South Waziristan.

One of the tribal 'commanders' in South Waziristan, Abdullah Mahsud, who had recently been released from Guntanamo Bay, has reportedly vowed to continue fighting against the American and allied forces.

Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan said that the South Waziristan area had been cleared of terrorists and thus far 100-150 of them, mostly foreigners, had been killed and as many arrested during the ongoing anti-terrorist operations. In North Waziristan, tribal elders allegedly set ablaze the house of an influential tribesman on suspicion that he sheltered foreign terrorists.

September 14

At least eight people were killed when security forces clashed with suspected al Qaeda terrorists in the Makin area of South Waziristan. Suspected terrorists fired two rockets at a paramilitary base in Wana killing a soldier and wounding three others, said military regime spokesperson, Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan.

Troops returned fire and targeted the suspected terrorist hideouts and a stray bullet is reported to have killed a 12-year-old boy.

12 soldiers were killed when a military truck was blown up by a remote-controlled device between Luddah and Makin Bazaar. But, an army spokesman denied that any such incident had occurred. Four soldiers were killed and 11 others wounded when an army convoy was ambushed near Jandola.

Clashes were reported from the Karwan Minza, Asman Minza and Della areas, largely inhabited by the Mahsud tribe. In the Shakai area, security forces seized weapons, laptop computers, detonators, and communication and surveillance equipment during a raid at the home of a local tribesman, identified as Eda Khan. Terrorists attacked a school in Khanigurram where the army and paramilitary personnel are deployed. However, there were no reports of fatalities.

September 15

Eight soldiers and four terrorists were killed during clashes between security forces and terrorists in the Laddha area of South Waziristan. Seven soldiers and four terrorists are reported to have died and 13 soldiers sustained injuries during an encounter in the Karwan Manza. Separately, a soldier was killed and two others sustained injuries during clashes in the Makeen area. In South Waziristan, terrorists destroyed a bridge near Tangi that connects Wana to Dera Ismail Khan.

September 17

Two soldiers were killed and two others wounded when a remote-controlled device exploded at Ragzai in South Waziristan.

A man and his four-year-old daughter were wounded when a mortar round hit their residence in the Dhog village outside Wana.

Five soldiers were injured in two landmine explosions. A military vehicle hit a landmine at Chalghuzai in the Khanigurram area, injuring three soldiers and another, carrying Frontier Corps personnel, hit a landmine in the Sarwakai area on Dera Ismail Khan-Wana Road, injuring two troops.

Troops are reported to have fired mortar bombs and artillery shells at suspected hideouts of al Qaeda-linked terrorists in Wana but there were no details of casualties.

September 18

Fighting renewed in South Waziristan amid heavy exchange of fire between security forces and terrorists. Security forces, backed by helicopter gun-ships and heavy artillery, were targeting suspected positions in Asman Manza, Karwan Manza and Mir Kalam Ser of the Laddah sub-division to counter terrorist attacks.

September 19

Authorities in South Waziristan have asked three local tribes to hand over 216 wanted men to the Government if they wanted economic sanctions against them to be lifted. The wanted men, accused of sheltering foreign terrorists and their local supporters, belonged to the Ahmadzai Wazir, Dottani and Sulemankhel tribes.

. A 21-page list containing the names of the wanted tribesmen was reportedly handed over to the tribal elders following a Jirga with NWFP Governor Lt-Gen (retd), Syed Iftikhar Hussain Shah, in Peshawar a few days ago. Three missiles were fired at the Frontier Corps post in Laddah. However, no loss of life or injuries was reported.

September 20

Six missiles were seized by the soldiers from Manzarkhel Zhay near Kaniguram in the Mahsud tribal territory. They were reportedly aimed at troops' positions in the Asman Manza area.

September 22

A paramilitary soldier and a tribesman were killed and two people sustained injuries when unidentified terrorists attacked an outpost in the Kaniguram area of South Waziristan. The security forces retaliated with artillery fire from the Laddah Fort and Asman Manza base camp for more than two hours.

Residents said that during the exchange of gun-fire, one tribesman was killed, while a minor girl was wounded.Nazarkhel Mahsud tribesmen, on voluntary guard duty at night, fired at three men allegedly trying to plant missiles in the Manzarkhel Zhay area. One of the men, suspected to be from Uzbekistan, reportedly died and the other two, believed to be local tribesmen, were arrested.

President Pervez Musharraf said in Washington that the "masterminds" of terrorism were based outside Pakistan and the Waziristan military operations had been undertaken as part of Pakistan's determined effort to crush the roots of terror.

September 23/24

At least 20 dead bodies were recovered from the jungles of Karwan Manza in South Waziristan after fierce clashes between security forces and terrorists.

A soldier was killed during clashes at various places, including Karwan Manza, Suaysar, Sapna Khawar and Dangaysar. In the Makeen area, terrorists fired rockets targeting troops stationed there in which one Frontier Corps personnel was wounded.

A Government delegation, led by Col (retd) Inamullah Wazir, engaged in secret talks with the terrorists, was airlifted from Wana to Peshawar.

September 26

A remote control bomb exploded in the Rustum Bazaar area of Wana injuring a soldier and a civilian.

Several missiles were fired targeting a convoy of the Pakistan Army comprising 100 vehicles moving from Wana to Laddha. However, no fatalities were reported.

September 27

Terrorists are reported to have attacked a military convoy in South Waziristan with three remote-controlled explosive devices killing five soldiers and injuring 10 others. Terrorists exploded the remote-controlled devices in the Serwakai area when the convoy, comprising 70 vehicles, was passing through the area, which is largely inhabited by the Mahsud tribe.

The security forces recovered an unspecified quantity of arms and ammunition from various terrorist hideouts in the caves and makeshift camps of Asman Punga in South Waziristan. These reportedly include automatic rifles, rocket launchers, rocket-propelled grenades, mortar bombs along with fuses.

September 28

Four soldiers are reported to have died and five others sustained injuries during a remote-controlled landmine explosion in the Shakai area of South Waziristan.

Seven missiles were fired targeting the Ladah Fort in South Waziristan although no casualties were reported.

Four children were wounded when an artillery shell hit a residential compound in the Shakai valley.

September 29

A soldier died and six others sustained injuries when their vehicle hit a landmine on the road to Karwan Manza. Subsequently, a heavy exchange of fire occurred between the terrorists holed up in the mountains above Karwan Manza and the troops camping in the Laddah Fort.

A mortar shell hit a home in the Shamerai village near Laddah, killing a retired Frontier Corps personnel, Mir Zaman, and injuring seven members of his family. Two civilians were wounded when they stepped on a landmine at Tapargay near the Sam village.

In South Waziristan, an army outpost near Makin was targeted by the terrorists who reportedly used rocket-launchers and light arms.

However, no casualty was reported. Four tribesmen, suspected of involvement in the attack, were later arrested from the Makin area. Troops targeted the Zanda and Gurguray mountainous areas for several hours after observing movement of terrorists there.

The Government and wanted tribal militants, accused of harboring suspected foreign terrorists with al Qaeda links, have reached an accord under which the most wanted trials, including Shari, Nor Islam, Abdul Asia, Mauve Abbes and Jived, would surrender to the authorities..

September 30

Two tribesmen were killed and a woman sustained injuries during an encounter between terrorists and the army at Spashteen village in South Waziristan.

October 1

A landmine explosion is reported to have killed four schoolchildren, aged between nine and 13, and wounded another in the Sarwakai area of South Waziristan

Armed men from the Mehsud tribe, allied to the Government, killed a foreign terrorist and captured another after a brief encounter in the Sarwakai area. While the deceased was stated to be an unidentified Turkmen, the detained terrorist belongs to Tajikistan and was identified as Muhammad Halide.

Pakistan Television quoted President Musharraf as saying that security forces have killed about 100 Al Qaeda terrorists during a recent military operation in the tribal areas near Afghanistan.

October 3

A Tajikistan national was captured and one of his alleged accomplices killed in the Sarwakai area of South Waziristan by the tribal militia aligned with the Government. The foreigners are believed to be involved in the killing of four school children in South Waziristan.

October 4

Four terrorists were killed and nine security force personnel sustained injuries during an encounter in South Waziristan.

The troops are also reported to have targeted terrorist hideouts in the Karwan Manza, Laddah and Asman Manza areas of South Waziristan. The terrorists have reportedly agreed to a 10-day ceasefire with the security forces to give a chance to mediators to resolve the issue of foreign terrorists in the tribal region. Commanders' Abdullah Mehsud and Baitullah Mehsud assured a 19-member mediation committee that they would hold fire for 10 days to give them a chance to help resolve the contentious issue of the presence of foreign terrorists in the region. Earlier, a meeting between the tribal mediators and 'commanders' reportedly occurred at Kotkai near Jandola on Oct 3.

October 5

Two soldiers were killed and seven others sustained injuries during an explosion caused by a remote-controlled improvised explosive device near Jandola on the Tank-Wana road. The incident occurred a day after the agreement between the Army and the terrorists to observe a 10-day ceasefire in the area inhabited by the Mahsud tribe in South Waziristan.

Abdullah Mahsud, a 'commander' of the militants, while denying his group's involvement in the blast added that they could not be held responsible for incidents taking place outside South Waziristan. Pamphlets in Urdu distributed in Wana and other parts of South Waziristan called upon the Muslims to join the Jihad against the "Jews and Crusaders" led by the US. The pamphlets say that non-Muslim forces were killing Muslims in Palestine, Iraq, Kashmir and Afghanistan and, therefore, revenge was justified.

Hundreds of additional troops assisted by helicopter gun-ships have been deployed along the border with Afghanistan to prevent terrorists from sneaking across the frontier to disrupt the Afghan presidential elections on October 9, the Army said. Military regime spokesperson Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan said the army has set up 250 new checkpoints along the border and deployed Quick Reaction Force commandoes to take immediate counter measures in case of any attacks. This is reportedly in addition to the approximately 70,000 troops already stationed in the tribal regions near the border.

October 7

The unwritten cease-fire between the military and terrorists in South Waziristan was broken on the fourth day of its enforcement when the two sides clashed near Kaniguram and Karwan Manza in the Mahsud tribal territory. The military used mortar, artillery and light machineguns to target terrorist positions while the latter fired missiles and rockets at the troops. However, loss of life, if any, was not known till last reports came in. There were also reports that clashes had occurred in areas beyond Karwan Manza and up to Karama.

October 10

Former Taliban 'commander' and chief of the militants in South Waziristan, Abdullah Mehsud, has reportedly claimed to have abducted two Chinese engineers, who were working on the Gomal Zam Dam project. "At the moment the Chinese engineers along with my aides are encircled by Jalalkhel tribesmen and the government forces in Chakmalai area of South Waziristan, therefore, I am unable to disclose the demands for their release," Mehsud told a group of journalists in a mountainous area near Jandola. "It is impossible for me to ensure the safety of the engineers at this stage," he said while demanding that the Government release militants arrested by security forces.

October 11

The Government offered to consider 'genuine' demands of terrorists in South Waziristan if they released the two Chinese engineers they had abducted on October 9. The offer was made as terrorists set two deadlines to execute the hostages if the Government did not accept their demands. Both the deadlines, however, passed without any action.

October 14

One of the two Chinese hostages and five abductors were killed as a result of an operation by the Pakistan Army commandos near Chakmalay village in South Waziristan. Wang Ping, a Chinese engineer working on the Gomal Zam Dam project, was killed in the operation, while his colleague, Wang Ende, survived. Ping was the chief surveyor in the private Chinese company that had brought more than 80 persons from China to work on the project. Corps Commander Peshawar, Lt-Gen Safdar Hussain, stated that the abductors shot dead the Chinese hostage, prompting the troops to kill the five kidnappers and rescue the second Chinese engineer.

The troops reportedly recovered five AK-47 rifles, one rocket-launcher, four rockets, four hand grenades, and 17 magazines of bullets from the possession of the terrorists. Three Army soldiers were injured when a remote-controlled improvised explosive device hit their vehicle in the Shakai area of South Waziristan.

Reports from the Laddah area said that militants fired 10 missiles at the Frontier Corps Fort where Pakistan Army troops are camped. However, no casualties were reported.

October 19

At least three soldiers were killed and five others sustained injuries when terrorists ambushed a military convoy in South Waziristan's Spinkai Raghzai town. Four terrorists and two civilians were also killed in the fighting. Two among the five wounded soldiers were stated to be of officer rank.

October 20

Hundreds of troops backed by helicopter gun-ships launched an operation in the Spinkai Raghzai area of South Waziristan to capture Abdullah Mehsud, a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner and the alleged mastermind behind the Chinese engineers' kidnapping.

Lt Gen Safdar Hussain, the Peshawar corps commander, said that the area under attack was Abdullah's political and military base. Troops entered Spinkai Raghzai in South Waziristan even as five more deaths were reported. Sources said four of those killed were civilians while soldiers found the body of a militant in a ravine near Spinkai Raghzai.

Another militant was captured from the same place. Haji Muhammad Umar, a Wazir militant and an associate of Nek Muhammad, threatened to attack if the government did not accept his demands within 10 days. "We will resume attacks if the government did not respond," he said in Wana.

October 22

Two soldiers and three civilians were killed in clashes between security forces and militants in different parts of South Waziristan. Two soldiers were killed and nine others were injured when a remote-controlled bomb exploded near the Laddah Fort.

Soon after the bomb explosion, security forces started firing from the Laddah Fort, killing a woman and her minor child. An artillery shell hit the residence of a civilian, Haji Mian Wali Khan, killing his 22-year-old son Attaullah Khan whereas two of his close relatives also received injuries.

Security forces pounded suspected militants with helicopter gun-ships and mortar fire but have failed to find Abdullah Mahsud, the mastermind of the abduction of two Chinese engineers.

Two sub-tribes of the Mahsud tribe decide to allow the security forces to carry out a house-to-house search in the Spinkay Raghzay area where supporters of Abdullah Mahsud had been holed up for the last few days. Militants killed two members of the tribal peace committee, Yousaf Khan and Khuna Khan, in the Sarwekai sub-division.

October 23

Security forces and elders of the Mahsud tribe began a joint search operation in the Spinkay Raghzay area of South Waziristan where authorities believed local and foreign militants were holed up.

The troops seized 15 anti-tank mines, three Russian-made hand grenades, six rockets, one rocket launcher, two disposable rockets, three guns, one AK-47, 1,700 bullets and some landmines.

Anti-aircraft ammunition was also found during the search operation. One soldier was killed and six others wounded during an overnight exchange of fire between the army and the militants in Karwan Manza. Authorities arrested six suspected militants at the Chakmalai checkpoint on the Jandola-Wana road. The young men, carrying three AK-47 and three hand grenades were on their way to Barwand. Militants fired five missiles at the Frontier Corps Fort at Tiarza without causing any losses.

October 24

Ten militants were killed in an hour-long clash when the troops returned fire after they were attacked near Lalizai village, north-east of Wana.

Three personnel of the paramilitary Frontier Corps were injured in an explosion caused by a remote-controlled improvised explosive device at Makeen in South Waziristan, while the brother of a pro-government tribal elder, Ahmad Shah, was killed in a land-mine blast in the same area.

Troops recovered some more weapons while searching tribal homes in the militant stronghold of Spinkai Raghzai. Military officials said one LMG gun, an AK-47 (Kalashnikov) rifle, five rockets, one rocket-launcher, 20 disposable rocket shells, two anti-tank mines with explosives, and 800 rounds of 14.5 mm gun were recovered from some of the houses.

Bannu Police seized 120 kilograms of explosives from a vehicle travelling to Bannu from North Waziristan. One light machine gun, 48,247 bullets, and one anti aircraft gun were also seized, besides the explosives. The police arrested three residents of Bannu in connection with the incident.

October 25

Three soldiers were wounded during a heavy exchange of fire between security forces and militants in the Karvan Manza locality of Laddah sub-division of South Waziristan.

A militant 'commander', Haji Mohammad Omar, offered a cease-fire during the holy month of Ramadan.

The 21-member peace committee comprising Mahsud tribal elders and Ulema left for Peshawar on an invitation from Corps Commander Lt-Gen Safdar Hussain. Members of the committee said they would hold talks with the corps commander on ways and means to effect reconciliation in the areas inhabited by the Mahsud tribe and rid it of the presence of foreign militants.

October 26

17 tribesmen of the Mahsud jirga were killed and many were injured in a rocket attack near Jandola, 65 kilometres east of Wana in South Waziristan.

Army spokesman Maj Gen Shaukat Sultan blamed militants for the incident and said, "Militants fired a 107mm rocket at the jirga". However, a tribal elder disputed the spokesman's claim and accused the security forces of targeting the tribesmen. The house-to-house search by soldiers and tribesmen in Spinkay Raghzai to arrest Abdullah Mahsud ended without success.

Five militants were injured when soldiers shelled militant hideouts in Asman Manzai. Clashes between militants and soldiers were also continuing for the past two days in the Karwan Manzai, Soi Sar and Jalandhar areas and heavy and light artillery is being used by both sides.

Militants also fired rockets at a Wana Scouts camp. However, the rockets missed their target.

October 27

Three people were killed and two others wounded when paramilitary troops opened fire on a van at a checkpoint near Azam Warsak.

Locals alleged that they were civilians and had nothing to do with militants operating in the region. However Maj-Gen Shaukat Sultan said that those killed were militants.

Three soldiers were wounded in late night clashes between security forces and militants in Karwan Mianza. In Shakai, militants attempted to blow up a military vehicle through a remote-controlled improvised explosive device but failed.

The vehicle was slightly damaged in the blast, though, without causing any injury to soldiers. Troops shelled Spinkay Raghzay and the adjoining areas from the Scouts Fort at Jandola. However, no loss of life or property was reported.

Tribesmen were evacuating from Kotkai, Murghiband and Sheik Ziarat amid fear of an impending military operation. Families were seen moving towards Tank via Sra Rogha, Makeen and Razmak areas, reports said.

Security officials believe the 29-year-old tribal militant commander, Abdullah Mahsud, is hiding in Kotkai along with scores of his fighters.

October 28

Militants fired missiles at military positions in the Spinkai Raghzai area of South Waziristan. Four missiles were fired but one did not explode, two landed in uninhabited area and the fourth hit a private vegetable ghee factory. There were no reports of any casualty.

October 29

A Pakistan Army soldier was killed and two others sustained injuries in a clash with militants in the Karwan Manza mountainous area in South Waziristan. Three Army soldiers were injured while one of the military vehicles was destroyed when a remote controlled bomb exploded on the Razmak-Isha road in North Waziristan. After the explosion, troops opened fire killing a shepherd. A land-mine was defused just in time at Tawda Cheena near Makeen to prevent an explosion aimed at passing military vehicles. Unknown miscreants cut down the underground telephone cable in Jandola, where the Pakistan Army and paramilitary Frontier Corps troops are headquartered, in a bid to disrupt communication links.

October 30

Suspected militants fired several rockets at a Wana Scouts camp but there were no casualties. Security forces retaliated with heavy gunfire and targeted militant hideouts in the southern mountains of South Waziristan. Witnesses and government officials added that suspected militants fired three rockets from the Karri Kot area, east of Wana, which landed inside the camp. Suspected militants attacked Pakistan Army fortifications in the Kamra area near Kani Gram. Security forces retaliated and shelled militant hideouts in the Asman Manzai area. However, no causalities were reported. The political administration announced compensation for the families of the tribesmen killed in a mortar attack on a Mehsud jirga in the Spinkay Raghzai area on October 26.

October 31

A soldier sustained injuries during an exchange of fire with militants in the Karwan Manza area of South Waziristan.

A tribesman, identified as Rasim Wazir Torikhel, suspected of 'spying' was shot dead by unknown assailants in Zha Ghundai area near Wana. Residents in Spinkai Raghzai town said the militants fired four missiles at military positions in the area.

They said the missiles came from the Gardi mountain range nearby and did not cause any human or material losses.

November 3

Militants attacked military positions in South Waziristan's Spinkai Raghzai area with two rockets. Sources said the rockets were fired from Khara Leeta in the mountains west of the town but no casualties were reported.

Three missiles were defused in the Azam Warsak area near the same spot where two tribesmen and an Afghan refugee were killed a few days ago at a joint Pakistan Army-Frontier Corps checkpoint.

November 4

Eight soldiers were killed and six others wounded when their vehicle hit a landmine planted by militants near Kanigoram in South Waziristan.

In another landmine explosion triggered by militants three soldiers were wounded in the Makin area.

Military officials stated that about 250 militants, including 100 foreigners, and more than 170 soldiers have been killed in the offensive in the tribal region since March 2004.

November 5

Military spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan stated that one soldier was injured when an improvised explosive device (IED) planted by militants exploded in Makeen.

Militants set off another IED in Khanigurram area, but there were no casualties in the incident. Four soldiers were injured in a bomb blast remotely triggered by militants at Rustam Bazaar in Wana.

After the blast soldiers reportedly panicked and opened fire, injuring a five-year-old boy. The Scouts Camp in Wana was attacked with rockets fired by militants and a civilian was reportedly wounded in the attack.

November 9

Backed by helicopter gun-ships and artillery, the Pakistan Army started another operation against militants in South Waziristan, killing six of them and losing three soldiers.

Military spokesman Maj Gen Shaukat Sultan stated the operation was started in the area between Dilla Kula and Spinkay Raghzai and added that the bodies of the six militants were retrieved and "there could be more casualties among them".

Militants fired five rockets at a military post in Karwan Manzai and one rocket at the Wana airport, but no casualties were reported.

November 10

Five soldiers and two tribesmen were wounded in sporadic exchange of fire between the military and militants in different parts of South Waziristan.

The political administration has decided to release about 250 tribesmen and Afghan refugees arrested under FCR over a period of several months in Wana and Shakai areas on suspicion of their involvement in militant activities.

November 11

Five most wanted tribal militants signed an agreement with the government, pledging to live peacefully and not to harbour foreign militants in South Waziristan. Yargulkhel, Kurmezkhel and Malikkhel, three sub-clans of the main Ahmadzai Wazir tribe, signed the agreement with the authorities in Wana on behalf of the five militants, including Haji Mohammad Omar, who had been declared successor to the slain militant commander Nek Mohammad. The four other militants are Maulana Abdul Aziz, Haji Sharif, Maulvi Abbas and Mohammad Javed. "The tribes have deposited Rupees10 million as guarantee for each of the five militants," said Brigadier Mehmood Shah, the security chief (FATA), in Peshawar. The wanted men did not appear in person before the local authorities. But the FATA security chief said the five were produced before the assistant political agent, Khan Bakhsh, by tribal elders following which they were released on furnishing of the guarantees.

November 12

At least three Pakistan Army personnel were killed and 22 injured while six militants were killed and one injured during the latest army push into a militant stronghold near the Afghan border.

November 13

An 18-year old student was killed and six people, including two Army soldiers, were injured at Rustam Bazaar in Wana during heavy retaliatory firing by soldiers following a landmine explosion that targeted a military convoy on a nearby bypass road.

A camp of the paramilitary Frontier Corps in Wana came under rocket attack. However, the two rockets missed the target and fell outside the camp in the Ucha Khwara dry stream near the small Wana airport and in Dabkot without causing any damage.

November 18

Troops seized seven rockets and six mortar-gun shells from a roadside on the Makeen-Razmak road in the Mahsud tribal territory in South Waziristan.

The Pakistan Army recovered a huge cache of explosives and ammunition from Kanigarram in South Waziristan. "We have recovered 3,600 kilograms of explosives, hundreds of 82mm mortar rounds, 75mm rifle rounds, 18 107mm rockets and 40,000 rounds of different calibres,"

a local administration official said. A 235-member committee consisting of notables of the Mehsud Manzai tribe has been formed to help the Pakistan Army in operations against suspected militants thought to be in the tribal areas.

November 19

Pakistan Army spokesman Maj Gen Shaukat Sultan rejected former Taliban 'commander' Abdullah Mehsud's claim of finalising a ceasefire agreement with Pakistani authorities on November 8. Sultan told Voice Of America that the government had not extended any assurances to Abdullah. "The army has opened all alternate options including dialogue for resolving the issue," he added. "There is no such agreement with him. The army was not talking to Abdullah," he said.

November 21

An army officer was injured in a landmine blast during search operations in South Waziristan.

November 22

Troops killed 20 militants in raids on a seminary and a camp in South Waziristan. Eight people were killed at the seminary in Lalejai area, a military spokesman said in a statement. "In the Lalejai area, Maulvi Bashir's Madrassah had been serving as a hub of terrorist activities from where miscreants had been launching frequent attacks against security forces and the civil population." 12 terrorists were killed in a 'hand-to-hand' fight with security forces in the Karam-Manzai Chund Khel area, where terrorists had made the local population hostage, the spokesman said.

The Mehsud tribe has asked the government to return weapons and ammunition to tribesmen, which had been seized during the ongoing search operation in South Waziristan. About 700 elders and maliks of the Mehsud tribe, who gathered in Tank, condemned the seizure of arms and weapons in the garb of search operations against foreign and local militants.

A rocket was fired at a security force in the Shakai area. However, no casualties were reported.

November 23

Two foreign militants, belonging to Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, were arrested after being overpowered by members of a tribal peace committee in South Waziristan's Makeen area. However, the struggling foreign militants managed to stab and injure four tribesmen. The captured militants were identified as Muhammad Hussain and Abdullah.

November 24

Troops arrested nine tribesmen after an improvised explosive device targeted an eight-vehicle military convoy near Laddah in South Waziristan. Four sub-machine guns and 800 cartridges were recovered from them.

A landmine planted by militants exploded at Shpastin near Laddah. However, no loss of life or injuries was reported.

November 26

Corps Commander Lt-Gen Safdar Hussain, while speaking at a jirga of the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe at the Governor House in Peshawar, announced the withdrawal of troops and removal of check posts from all parts of the Wana subdivision in South Waziristan. (The army has nine check posts in Wana)

November 29

Police arrested an alleged Chechen terrorist who had attacked police and other people with a hand-grenade after failing to rob a money-changer in the Qandahri bazaar. "The Chechen national came from Wana along with other companions," Balochistan province Inspector General of Police, Chaudhary Yaqoob, said. Initial investigations showed that the accused, identified as Abdul Ghafar, was a Chechen and along with other Chechens had escaped from South Waziristan and taken shelter in Quetta, after the military action in the tribal areas.

The US State Department spokesperson Richard Boucher said that Pakistan had withdrawn no forces from Waziristan.

November 30 Security forces recovered a huge cache of arms during a search of eight tribal homes in the Sam village near Kaniguram in an area inhabited by the Mahsud and Burki tribes. There were three mortar guns, six guns of different bore including AK-47 Kalashnikovs, two missiles launchers, two rocket launchers, one anti-aircraft gun, one 75 RR gun, 22 missile shells, 184 mortar gun shells, 34 RPG-7 shells, one battery missile, seven hand grenades, and more than 25,000 rounds.
December 6 Pakistani authorities blew up houses of the al Qaeda-linked militant 'commander' Abdullah Mehsud and his relatives in a tribal law punishment. Security forces reportedly used dynamite and bulldozers to demolish the homes of Mehsud and five of his uncles in the Nano village of South Waziristan.
December 9 Briefing the Peshawar-based media at the Durrani Fort, Maj-Gen Niaz Khattak, General Officer Commanding, Kohat, stated that the persistent military operations against foreign militants and their local harbourers have reduced the strength of these elements to 100 in South Waziristan. He added that there were approximately 600 foreign militants at the time the Army launched operation against the al Qaeda linked militants and their local tribal sympathisers. "Their strength has reduced to 100 plus now, who too lost support of the local population." Regarding Army's losses, Khattak said the Pakistan Army and the paramilitary Frontier Corps had so far lost 200 men in the Waziristan operation. More than 246 militants, including some over 100 foreign terrorists, were also killed, while 579 militants were arrested in 35 military exercises.
December 15

A landmine exploded near a paramilitary post at Miranshah in North Waziristan injuring two soldiers.

Two tribesmen were killed and four others sustained injuries during an ambush near Solay Khan Saraey in South Waziristan.

December 17

Military sources have indicated that during the first week of October 2004, Rupees 60 million was distributed through the al Qaeda network to its three key operatives in the Waziristan area. One of the recipients was fugitive tribal militant leader, Abdullah Mehsud, said sources. The cash, mostly in dollars, comes generally from countries in the Middle East and Central Asia and large amounts are distributed among local people to provide refuge to foreign militants. It was found that in one particular case, a seminary was paid PKR 100, 000 for providing shelter to militants for one month.

The Government announced a PKR Five million reward for the capture of Waziristan-based tribal militant Abdullah Mehsud.

Military authorities in South Waziristan have also launched a hunt for three top militants - Uzbek national Yaldeshev, Abdullah Mehsud and Baitullah Mehsud, the 'commander' of militant forces in Mehsud territory.

Military sources in Waziristan claim that Abdullah Mehsud is now left with only about 15 hardcore militants around him. A military vehicle was damaged when an improvised device exploded on the road near Nano. However, no loss of life or injuries was reported.

December 19

Waziristan-based tribal militant, Abdullah Mehsud, claimed responsibility for the bomb blast a day earlier at the Civil Secretariat in Quetta, capital of the Balochistan province. Muhammad Yousaf, claiming to be Mehsud's spokesperson, made the claim in a phone call from an unknown location. He also said that more attacks would follow in different parts of Pakistan. "The battle is no longer confined to South Waziristan. The Quetta blast was carried out by our men in reaction to the announcement by the corps commander Peshawar offering an Rs 5 million reward for our commander Abdullah Mahsud's capture," the caller said. The man also claimed an attack on the same day on a Rangers' check-post in Jacobabad.

A 12-year-old boy, identified as Muslihuddin, was killed during a bomb blast outside a seminary at Lalazai near Wana, headquarters of South Waziristan.

December 21 President Pervez Musharraf said that the Government had successfully handled the issue of foreign terrorists in South Waziristan. "The foreign terrorists had threatened the national integrity and if we had not taken strong action, they would have created problems for us," he said during a speech at the golden jubilee function of Khyber Medical College in Peshawar. The military operation in Wana, he claimed, was not against local tribesmen rather it targeted foreign terrorists and their collaborators. He also described as ridiculous an allegation that the military action had been launched at the behest of the US and said that the masterminds of terrorist acts committed in the country had roots in South Waziristan.
December 23 The Government has turned down an offer to surrender from the South Waziristan-based militant leader, Abdullah Mahsud. Mahsud, a former Guantanamo Bay inmate who is wanted for the abduction of two Chinese engineers, had made only a conditional offer to surrender, said Mehmood Shah, security chief for the tribal areas. "Our terms for his surrender are that he should hand himself over to the authorities without any preconditions," Shah said in Peshawar.
December 25 Security force personnel blew up the house of a tribesman with explosives at Kot Langarkhel village in South Waziristan. No loss of life was reported as the occupants, primarily children and women after the male members had gone underground, were asked to leave before the operation.
December 27

The Corps Commander Peshawar, Lt Gen Safdar Hussain, has warned the South Waziristan-based terrorists, including Abdullah Mehsud and Baitullah Mehsud, to surrender before January 15, 2005, or else stringent military action will be taken against them.

Security forces arrested an Uzbek national with suspected al Qaeda links close to the Afghan border although his five Chechen associates managed to escape

December 28

A wanted militant in South Waziristan, Maulvi Sharif, is reported to have accepted the Government amnesty offer. Sharif, who belongs to the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe, was declared the most wanted militant during the army operation and had earlier refused to surrender. His four companions had already signed agreements with the authorities in November 2004, promising them good conduct and no shelter to foreign militants.

The troops raided a Madrassa formerly run by Taliban leader Maulvi Jalaluddin Haqqani near Miranshah in North Waziristan on reports that some foreigners, possibly Arabs, were hiding there. However, no arrests were made.

December 29

A tribal politician with close links to the Afghan President, Hamid Karzai, was reportedly shot dead by suspected al Qaeda-linked terrorists in Wana. Shahlam Khan, whose brother is Pakistan's Ambassador to Qatar, was reportedly shot dead by masked gunmen from a moving car in Wana. His Pushtoonkhwa Milli Awami Party has in the past campaigned against the Taliban and Islamist extremism.

Rejecting the Government ultimatum to surrender by January 15, 2005, or face military action, wanted militant, Abdullah Mahsud, said that he would to continue his fight until the eviction of the Pakistan Army from South Waziristan and the removal of President Musharraf from office.

December 30 South Waziristan chief administrator, Asmatullah Gandapur, was injured in a bomb explosion near the Tank area. Gandapur and his driver were wounded when the vehicle they were riding in passed over explosives planted on the road outside Tank.





Copyright © 2001 SATP. All rights reserved.