Terrorism Update
Show/Hide Search
  Click to Enlarge

Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF) :2004-2012


December 18: KLNLF has called for immediate resumption of talks on the separate state issue. A three-member team of the KLNLF met Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde in New Delhi and asked him to pay special attention to the outfit's issue as the talks process has been stalled since July 8 this year. The team, comprising KLNLF 'general secretary 'Thong Teron, 'publicity secretary' Rajek Dera and 'home secretary' Thulok Teron, submitted a memorandum in support of their demand.

November 3: KLNLF cadres staged a dawn to dusk 'sit in hunger strike' inside their Diphu based designated camp in Karbi Anglong District, demanding immediate release of defence secretary KLNLF, Sonja Timung. Timung was arrested on October 23 on charges of Rhino poaching.

October 26: KLNLF termed the arrest of 'Defence Secretary' KLNLF as a political conspiracy by "certain quarters" to derail the ongoing KLNLF peace initiative.

Seven Karbi social organisations have demanded the release of Songja Timung, 'defence secretary' of KLNLF, who was arrested by Police, on the charge of having link with rhino poaching in Kaziranga National Park.

October 23: SFs arrested 'Defence Secretary' of KLNLF, Songja Timung, on charges of Rhino poaching in Karbi Anglong.

May 22: A special meeting of Central Executive Committee was convened at Farmers Hostel, Diphu in Karbi Anglong district by KLNLF had resolved to expel its public relation officer Augustine Kramsa alias Arlong Ronghang, following his toeing party line of the organization, the press note stated. Meanwhile, the release also stated that Augustine Kramsa was involved in bringing division among the members of the outfit. And on many occasion, Kramsa had indulged in violating organization constitution.

February 11: State Police have arrested 620 cadres of various outfits involved in peace talks on charges of extortion, abduction and other crimes.

January 7: KLNLF called for 24 hours Karbi Anglong District Strike beginning (today) from 5 am. to protest against the arrest its 'General Secretary' Thong Teron by SFs.

January 5: SFs arrested KLNLF 'general secretary' Thong Teron from Diphu in Karbi Anglong District.

January 4: During a search operation, SFs arrested a KLNLF militant, identified as James Engleng, along with 50 pieces of ammunition in Diphu town in Karbi Anglong District.


December 3: 29 militants of KLNLF, including a 'Commandant Sergeant Major' and two women cadres, joined the UPDS.

November 21: Peace accord between the UPDS and the Central Government will be signed on November 25 in the presence of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi in New Delhi.

October 13: Shambhu Singh said that the Government of India is planning to sign peace pacts with at least three militant outfits of the State by November. He said that the process of talks with the UPDS is complete and only the date for signing of the accord is to be decided. He pointed out that the Government was trying to make the KLNLF to sign the same pact, which delayed the process of signing of the pact with the UPDS. But the KLNLF could not make up its mind and the Government would not go ahead with the signing of the accord with UPDS, he added. He also said that talks with both factions of DHD-Jewel & DHD-Nunisa are in final stage and accords with the outfits are likely to be signed soon. On the progress of talks with the Pro-Talks faction of NDFB-PTF, Singh said that the outfit is still sticking to its demand for creation of a separate state and the Centre has already made it clear that there is no possibility of division of Assam.

September 16: Explaining the stalemate in talks between Union Government, Assam Government and KLNLF, 'Publicity Secretary' of KLNLF, Rijak Dera said, "We will neither join the UPDS nor oppose them in signing their peace accord with the government, our position will be neutral, we were pressurized by the Government to sign the accord and forced us to accept their wish and the three-hour-long meeting ended without any conclusion,". Rijak Dera further said, "We met Home Minister P Chidambaram and apprised him the entire development that took place in the meeting and after his intervention, we were given two hours time to study the accord documents. The accord will not fulfill the long cherished desire of the people of Karbi Anglong."

September 9: UPDS came down heavily on KLNLF slamming the latter for what it described as "negative role in the peace accord signing process".

September 7: The tripartite talks in New Delhi to discuss about the demands of the KLNLF for an autonomous state consisting of the hill areas of Assam ended in a stalemate.

September 3: Talks between the Central Goverment and KLNLF in New Delhi remained inconclusive. The two sides will meet again either on September 7 or 8.

September 2: Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said that a meeting with Assam's ethnic militant group KLNLF was scheduled for September 3 in Delhi. Union Home Ministry officials will meet a three-member KLNLF team. He, however, made it clear that there was no scope for negotiations on the KLNLF's demand for a separate state. Stating that most of the militant outfits were willing for peace talks, the Chief Minister said, "We want to sign an agreement soon with the KLNLF and UPDS." The BW group has already come forward though we have differences with the Nunisa Faction of DHD. But discussions are on with them."

August 18: Separately, the peace process with KLNLF has hit a roadblock after the outfit rejected the Central Government proposal for more autonomy instead of its demand for a separate State.

August 15: KPLT militants attacked the Ceasefire- designated Camp of KLNLF in Karbi Anglong District. KPLT claimed to have killed several KLNLF militants in the gunfight that lasted at least two hours. Police are yet to verify the claim.

Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi called upon Paresh Barua, 'Chairman' of the ULFA-ATF, to join the ongoing peace process.Tarun Gogoi said "Every underground and insurgent group has realised the futility of violence. While most of them including the pro-talk faction of ULFA led by Arabinda Rajkhowa have come forward for peace talks, I appeal to Paresh Barua's faction to come out and become part of the peace process." He further said "Talks alone can lead to permanent peace, and we have left no stone unturned to bring different groups to the negotiations. We have already announced suspension of operations against various groups including United People's Democratic Solidarity [UPDS], Black Widow[BW], DHD (N), Adivasi Cobra Force[ACF], Birsa Commando Force[BCF], Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front [KLNLF], Pro-Talks Faction of National Democratic Front of Bodoland [NDFB-PTF] and the ULFA faction led by its chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa. The Anti-Talks Faction of National Democratic Front of Bodoland [NDFB-ATF] has announced a unilateral ceasefire."

January 27: A senior Congress leader and President of the KJCA, Mohen Ingti, was shot dead allegedly by the Karbi militant outfit, KPLT, in Bokajan subdivision of Karbi Anglong District. According to a Television channel report, the KLPT has mentioned that Mohen Ingti was shot dead for not heeding to the outfit's command.

January 25: The three drivers, identified as one Longjam Arun (43), Thokchom Jiten (34), and Moirangthem suresh alias Nanao (19), all residents of Sekmai, who were abducted by KLPT on January 16, 2011 in connection with INR 50 lakhs demand were released at Deopani area of Karbi Anglong District.

Several passengers suffered bullet injuries when a Manipur bound inter State bus coming from Guwahati and heading towards Imphal was attacked by cadres of KPLT at Deopani, under Golagat Police Station of Karbi Anglong District. Five passengers, including the driver, identified as one Inao, a woman and a minor boy, identified as David Mate, were injured. One among them, Jisai Masai (12), is reported to be critical.

January 9: Eleven journalists of Karbi Anglong District abducted by KLNLF were rescued by Security Forces after an hour of encounter. However, the militants managed to escape. KLNLF militants, who abducted the Journalists, took them to a remote place where the militants organised a press meet and put pressure on them to publish certain news in favour of them.


December 29: In a special operation, troops neutralized a camp of the KLNLF-ATF in South of Dalamara in Karbi Anglong District and recovered large cache of arms and ammunition. Army recovered one 7.65 mm Pistol, two 7.65 mm Pistol ammunition, four .303 ammunition, blankets, rations and mosquito nets from the site.

December 9: Two militants of the KLNLF-ATF were arrested by the Kherani Police from Umtai Etabhata of Nagaon District of Assam. The two militants were identified as Dhan Teron alias Sarcho Teron (20) and Bidyasing Rongphar alias Apo Rongphar (19) and one pistol, three live cartridges along with many incriminate documents were recovered from their possession, Police sources said.

December 8: Suspected militants belonging to the KLNLF-ATF abducted a schoolboy, identified as Sujit Pathak, (10), from Japarajan in Bokajan sub-division of Karbi Anglong District. According to sources, Sujit was in front of his Japarajan residence when a four-member team of KLNLF-ATF militants accosted him and took him along with them.

October 28: The KLNLF-Anti talk decided to test its support base among the general people of Diphu District by calling for 24 hours District bandh (general Strike) on October 30. The bandh will commence from 5am on October 30 till 5am October 31. The KLNLF called the bandh as a mark of protest against the alleged killing of its cadres by Security Forces in league with KLNLF rank and files presently under Ceasefire.

October 25: NSCN-IM released Augustine Kramsa, a leader of KLNLF, who was taken hostage by NSCN-IM from his Purna Bazar residence in Dimapur, on October 16. Addressing a press meet at the KLNLF camp in Diphu (Assam), Kramsa informed that he was not abducted by the NSCN-IM but was taken to Hebron camp to clarify on certain accusation leveled against him by some vested interest person.

October 17: KLNLF threatened of blockade along NH-39 at Karbi Anglong, if its leader Augustine Kramsa, who was allegedly abducted by the NSCN-IM, was not released "unharmed and unconditionally" at the earliest. Addressing a press meet, KLNLF ‘publicity secretary’ R. Tera disclosed that the outfit’s leader Augustine Kramsa alias Arnold Ronghang was abducted from his Purana Bazar Dimapur residence by 15 to16 NSCN-IM cadres on October 16 at around 11 AM.

October 10: One KLNLF cadre was arrested by Jakhalabandha Police from Ahutoli Silimkhowa along the Nagaon-Karbi Anglong border.

October 9: One unidentified militant of the anti-talks faction of the KLNLF was killed during an encounter with the Assam Police and the Army at the hill top near Tarabasa of Uttarbarbil Outpost under Howraghat Police Station of Karbi Anglong District. According to statement of the Army Commanding Officer, Rajender Singh, on the basis of specific information received about a group of anti-talks faction of the KLNLF militants coming out for extortion at the Tarabas area, a joint operation was launched by Assam Police and the Army in the aforesaid hill top. One foreign made pistol and three live cartridges were recovered from the possession of the slain militant.

September 26: Another KLNLF cadre, Lamkhang Longhan (40), was killed during joint operation by the Army and Police at Diring Naharbari under Kohonra Police Station in Kaziranga area of Golaghata District. A pistol, along with six rounds of amuniiton, was recovered from him. Another militant escaped from the incident site.

September 25: An unidentified militant belonging to anti-talks faction of the KLNLF was shot dead in a joint operation by the Assam Police and Army at Napak Ghat under Dakmuka Police Station in Karbi Anglong District. One 7.65-mm pistol with magazine and two 7.65-mm live rounds were recovered from the possession of the slain militant.

September 24: A suspected KLNLF cadre was killed in an encounter during a search operation by Santipur Police at Bokajan in Karbi Anglong District.

September 21: BSF troops of the Assam and Meghalaya frontier killed four militants of ULFA and Military Council of the KLNLF, arrested 17 militants belonging to the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), KLNLF, People’s Liberation Army (PLA), Military Council faction of the Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP), United National Liberation Front (UNLF), Muslim United Liberation Tigers of Assam (MULTA) and Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI) among others. They also got nine militants of ULFA, NDFB and All Adivasi National Liberation Army (AANLA) to surrender along with arms and ammunition

September 17: A new militant outfit has been formed by the militants belonging to anti-talk faction of the Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF), according to Sentinel. In a press communique, B. Ejang has announced the formation with the name Karbi Anglong North Cchar Hills Liberation Front Anti Talks (KLNLFA). The outfit in a press statement criticized the United People's Democratic Solidarity (UPDS) and KLNLF for their failure to deliver its promised goal. He said that the delaying tactic adopted by the Government to solve the vexed issues raised by different organizations since 1986 has let down the people in general and armed outfit in particular. The outfit pledged to fight until their principle of Hemprek Kangthim (self-rule homeland) is fulfilled

September 14: KLNLF issued a "public notice" banning export/supply of liquor from its jurisdiction. According to a statement received in Dimapur (Nagaland) from KLNLF ‘vice chairman’ H. Tokbi, KLNLF took strong exception of unregulated and unabated flow of alcohol and drug in and around Bokajan, Khatkhti, Lahorijan and near by areas, bordering Dimapur, and Dilai area and its consequences on society.

September 13: An unidentified militant belonging to anti-talk faction of the KLNLF was shot dead in a joint operation with Assam Police and BSF at Lekthechu Gaon under Borpathar Police Station of Golaghat District. One 9-mm factory made pistol with magazine, two 9-mm live rounds and one 9-mm fired case was recovered from the possession of the slain militant. It was learnt that the militant was actively involved in extortion activities in the area.

The Assam Tea Tribe Students’ Association (ATTSA) asked the District authorities of Karbi Anglong to provide security to the workers of Bhagawati Tea Estate. A section of the militants belonging to the KLNLF has allegedly compelled the owner of the TE to close down his garden on September 2 by demanding a heavy ransom amount.

September 11: An unidentified KLNLF militant was killed in an encounter with SFs in Karbi Anglong District.

Suspected KLNLF militants robbed an employee of Nahorjan tea estate of INR 1.35 million in Golaghat District. Golaghat SP Madan Chetia said the money was being carried to an adjoining garden branch for weekly labour payment.

September 6: The owner of Dhanseri Tea Estate (TE), Angshuman Das, was shot at and wounded by militants who were trying to abduct him in Karbi Anglong District. In another case militants abducted a child belonging to a TE employee's family. Militants have virtually robbed the TEs of Karbi Anglong District of their livelihood by making their owners and employees live under constant threat and to pay hefty sums of money to satisfy the militants. Though the cadres of the anti-talk faction of the KLNLF were initially found to be involved in such activities, it is now found that the cadres of the pro-talk faction of the outfit are also involved with these elements, alleged the affected tea planters.

September 3: Tripura Police Chief Pranay Sahaya said that with crackdowns on the camps in neighbouring Bangladesh, militants of the Northeast are now shifting base to Myanmar. Outfits like ULFA, KLNLF and UNLF have already shifted their bases to Myanmar which has a 1650 kilometre long border with India, according to reports, the DGP said. The DGP said the Centre has already taken up with the Myanmar Government the issue of their soil being used by insurgents from Northeast India.

August 31: KLNLF outfit now in truce with Government of India has made it clear that it would not settle for anything less than a separate State for Karbi tribe people living in Assam. The outfit’s publicity secretary Razak Dera informed the media that the leadership of the KLNLF recently met the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who advised them to talk to the Chief Minister of Assam for addressing all their grievances.

The anti-talk fraction of the KLNLF abducted Janardan Pande, an employee of Bhagawati Tea Estate in the Silonijan area under Borpathar Police Station in Karbi Anglong District. According to sources, an extortion note of INR five million was served on the manager of the tea estate a couple of months back.

August 25: The Union Minister said that it is a matter of great satisfaction that a number of groups are engaged in talks with the Government of India. Among them are National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak-Muivah (NSCN-IM), pro-talk faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), Nunisa faction of the Dima Halim Daogah (DHD), Black Widow (BW), United People's Democratic Solidarity (UPDS), Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC), Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF), Kuki National Organization (KNO) and United Peoples Front (UPF), he said. H further added, "We have appointed two Interlocutors: RS Pandey to talk to the NSCN (IM) and PC Haldar to talk to NDFB (PT), DHD (Nunisa), DHD (J), KLNLF, UPDS and ANVC, besides ULFA [United Liberation Front of Asom]."

August 18: a delegation of the KLNLF met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and submitted a memorandum demanding autonomy for the twin Districts of Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao (erstwhile North Cachar Hills). The KLNLF is now on ceasefire with the Centre and former Intelligence Bureau Chief P.C. Haldar has been acting as the Centre’s peace interlocutor for the peace process. According to sources, the delegation expressed their unhappiness about the functioning of Centre’s interlocutor P.C. Haldar. They also raised the demand for a separate State.

August 13: Diphu Police recovered decomposed bodies of two missing female cadres of the KLNLF near Diphu Lumding Road in Karbi Anglong District. The deceased were identified as Marigold Hansepi and Serdihun Engtipi who were missing from June 24 and 25 respectively from the KLNLF camp. Later, the Police exhumed the bodies from the grave. The KLNLF has blamed the involvement of third party in the incident.

July 25: One KLNLF militant, Amar Singh Ingti, was arrested by SFs from Singh Ingti village, under Santipur Police Station, in Karbi Anglong District. They recovered 15 detonators from his possession.

July 23: P.C. Haldar held a discussion with a two-member KLNLF delegation at Circuit House in Guwahati, added Sentinel. KLNLF 'publicity secretary' Rejak Dera reiterated the outfit's demand for a separate State including Karbi Anglong, all powers except law and order, and more power under the Sixth Schedule to the proposed State. Sources quoted Haldar as saying, "A separate State as demanded by the KLNLF is not possible." The KLNLF expressed unhappiness over the stand of Haldar on its demand for a separate State.

July 17: A suspected cadre of the anti-talk faction of the KLNLF was killed during an encounter by SFs at Uttamji of Loring Thipi outpost under Howraghat Police Station in Karbi Anglong District.

July 12: Assam Environment and Forest Minister Rokybul Hussain informed the State Legislative Assembly that militants killed 1,549 civilians and 205 SFs between 2001 and June 2010. In the armed encounters between the SFs and the militants of ULFA, NDFB, KLNLF etc, 1,703 militants were killed during this period. 144 innocent persons were killed when SFs opened fire to bring law and order situation under control during the period.

The Minister said that in the incidents of encounter between the SFs and the militants, 26 civilians were killed during the period. During this period, 2,043 ULFA cadres, 899 NDFB cadres and 102 KLNLF cadres surrendered before the Government and 10,242 members of various militant outfits were arrested. He also told the House that so far six ULFA leaders and 53 cadres of the outfit are in jail and between January 1, 2010 and June 30, 2010 two of its leaders and 164 cadres were released on bail. The Government is interested in holding talks with ULFA, he said.

Further, he said the House that six militant outfits are active in the State at present. These organisations include-ULFA, NDFB, All Adivasi National Liberation Army (AANLA), Hmar People's Convention- Democracy (HPC-D), Muslim United Liberation Tiger of Assam (MULTA) and Harkat-ul-Mujahideen (HuM). According to him seven new outfits are active - Liberation Democratic Council of Mising Land (LDCM), United Tribal Liberation Front (UTLF), United Tribal Revolutionary Army (UTRA), Dimasa National Liberation Front (DNLF), Gorkha Liberation Army (GLA), Hills Tiger Force (HTF) and Santhal Tiger Force (STF) have come to light, said the Minister.

June 12: A KLNLF linkman, Shiva Charan Barman, was arrested by the BSF under Bokakhat Police Station in Golaghat District.

June 10: The first round political dialogue on the charter of demands submitted to the Government by the KLNLF was held at Parliament Street in New Delhi with the Union Government's peace interlocutor P.C. Halder and a delegation of the KLNLF. The KLNLF delegation raised the demand for 'Hemprek Kangthim', a separate State for Karbi Anglong, at the meeting. The delegation also met Union Home Minister P Chidambaram at North Block and submitted a memorandum and the demands. The Minister assured the delegation of solving the political problems of Karbi Anglong.

May 19: A Police spokesperson said that the gunfight took place with a group of militants belonging to the Karbi Liberation Tiger Force (KLTF) in which two militants were killed at Bokoliaghat village in Karbi Anglong District. A large haul of explosives and weapons were recovered from the possession of the militants. The KLTF is a newly floated group in the Karbi Anglong District, comprising some cadres of the KLNLF that entered into a ceasefire with Union Government in 2009. The KLTF is fighting for an independent homeland for the Karbi tribe in eastern Assam.

The deceased were identified as Bengbong alias Chandra Tokbi and Ananda Teron. Chandra Tokbi was reported as 'sergeant major' of KLNLF who had fled way from the surrendered group of the outfit. The report adds that Chandra Tokbi was a hardcore KLNLF leader who was involved with many anti social activities.

May 9: The KLNLF has formed a six-member special committee to prepare its demand charter, which would be submitted in the next round of tripartite talks likely to be held later in May 2010. The six-member special committee headed by KLNLF 'chief' P. Dili comprises three of its leaders- 'vice-president' Habe Tokbi, 'general secretary' Tong Teron and 'publicity secretary' Rejek Dera. Two intellectuals from the community whose names are kept secret are also included. General Secretary Thong Teron said, "The charter of demands would be prepared after consulting the issues with our cadres. The issues would again be discussed with intellectuals and organisations representing the community before it reached the table of government."

May 8: A suspected KLNLF cadre was killed in an encounter by SFs at Burapahar under Jakhalabandha Police Station in Nagaon District. A carbine with eight rounds of live ammunition and a grenade were recovered from the possession of the slain militant.

May 7: The Union Government's peace envoy for the Northeast P.C. Haldar, Assam Principal Secretary (Home) Subhash Das, Special Branch Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) Khagen Sarma and KLNLF 'publicity secretary' Rejak Dera and three others participated in the tripartite talks held at SB headquarters in Guwahati. Dera said that the KLNLF demanded adequate security for designated camps and members of the outfit. The KLNLF also demanded five designated camps, including one at Umrangsu. He also said that the outfit did not submit its charter of demands at the meeting.

May 6: The United People's Federation of Assam (UPFA) urged upon the Government of India to expedite the peace talks with the NDFB, pro-talk ULFA, DHD, KLNLF and other outfits who are already under ceasefire to solve their problems politically.

May 2: A suspected KLNLF cadre, Raju Singh, was killed by SFs during an encounter at Beygaon of Karbi Anglong District. A 9-mm pistol and grenade were recovered from the possession of the slain militant.

April 12: The Assam Government has to spend around INR 7.59 million a month for the 4,006 militant cadres who have been staying in various designated camps in the State. The militant outfits now in ceasefire and whose cadres are in such camps are the UPDS, DHD, BW, NDFB, Adivasi Cobra Force (ACF), Birsa Commando Force (BCF), KLNLF and the ULFA.

April 3: KLNLF 'chairman', P. Dili, arrested from Shillong in Meghalaya in May 2009, was released from Diphu jail.

April 2: A gang of 11 KLNLF militants snatched away some arms from a camp situated at the Panbari Reserve Forest of Kaziranga National Park (KNP) in Golaghat District on an unspecified date. As informed by a reliable source and confirmed by the KNP officials, the gang was fully armed and took away one 3.3 rifle, one set of walky talky and one charge light at gun point.

KLNLF 'publicity secretary' Rejak Dera said: "Seventy-five per cent of forests in Karbi Anglong have been cleared by DHD(N) cadres, now lodged at the designated camp at Dhansiri in Karbi Anglong. These militants have been selling timber from Karbi Anglong to Nagaland. This is not the allegation of the KLNLF alone. EvenBiren Singh Ingti, MP, had alleged that the DHD (N) had been involved in tree felling in Karbi Anglong forests. The MP has already requested Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to stop the DHD (N) militants from felling trees in Karbi Anglong." Dera further said the KLNLF would not tolerate if the Nunisa faction of the Dima Halim Daogah (DHD) continued to destroy Karbi Anglong forest and sell timber to Nagaland.

Regarding security of the 400 KLNLF cadres staying in makeshift designated camps, Dera said: "Three hundred and thirteen of our cadres have been staying in the makeshift designated camp on the Polytechnic premises in Karbi Anglong where only 20 Assam Police battalion personnel have been deployed on security duty. The other makeshift designated camp in the Agriculture Farmers' Hostel gives shelter to 75 of our cadres who are without any security cover. No security personnel has been deployed there. If any of our cadres flee, we won't be responsible for that."

As many as 20 KLNLF cadres had fled with arms when talks for surrender were going on. While six of the deserters came back with their arms, one was killed in an encounter. According to reports, the other deserters have been active in armed activities. Dera said: "We have apprised Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of our security concern. We have demanded of him to set up four designated camps in Karbi Anglong and one at Umrangshu in NC Hills, a demand being opposed by the DHD (N). We have also apprised ADGP (SB) Khagen Sarma and the Home Commissioner of our security concern."When asked on the opposition from the DHD (N) to the proposed KLNLF designated camp at Umrangshu, Dera questioned: "If a DHD (N) designated camp can be set up at Dhansiri in Karbi Anglong, why can't a KLNLF camp be set up at Umrangshu in NC Hills?"

March 30: The KLNLF said that it would not compromise on its demand for a separate State. The KLNLF 'publicity-secretary', Rejak Dera said, "We (KLNLF) will hold talks with the Centre only on our demand for a separate State. We will not compromise on the separate State issue." Dera expressed opposition to the demand raised by some Karbi people for implementation of the Article 244 (A) of the Indian Constitutio. According to Dera, the Union Government has asked the KLNLF to submit its charter of demands which the outfit will do soon.

March 29: Assam Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain in the State Legislative Assembly said that among the active militant groups, the ULFA has a strength of 875 cadres, while the anti-talk faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) has 225 cadres, AANLA has 30 cadres, Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA) has 40 cadres, Hmar People's Convention- Democracy (HPC-D) has 50 cadres, MULTA has 110 cadres and Assam unit of the Harkat-ul-Mujaheedin has 45 cadres. The Minister further said that the Unified Command structure is active in the State for launching coordinated operations against militants. The Minister informed the House that in the last two years, 535 persons, including 494 civilians and 41 SFs, were killed by militants, while, during the same period, 333 militants were killed by SFs in counter-insurgency operations. He added that two outfits, Bircha Commando Force (BCF) and Adivasi Cobra Force (ACF), are in suspension of operation with the State Government and two others- BW and KLNLF laid down arms to join the mainstream.

March 28: The Assam Government will have to take the lead role in early completion of talks with militant groups of the State, which already signed cease-fire agreements for peaceful solution of the problems. Sources said that the Union Government had a very limited role in the process of talks with the militant groups like pro-talk faction of the NDFB, UPDS, KLNLF, DHD and BW. Sources added that in case of the militant groups of Assam, the Union Government had already ruled out the possibility of division of Assam and asked the militant groups to seek solution of the problems within the geographical boundaries of the State.

March 16: More than 10,000 militants surrendered before the Government in Assam since 1998. As per the list submitted by the Assam Government in the State Assembly, the ULFA topped the list of surrendered militants as during the period from 1998 to March 5, 2010, more than 4260 militants belonging to the outfit have laid down arms. The list included 2711 militants of the BLT, which was disbanded following the signing of the Memorandum of Settlement between the Government and the outfit in 2003. The list included 514 KLNLF and 416 BW militants. These outfits surrendered weapons to come for talks with the Government for political solution of their problems.

March 10: Suspected militants abducted Badal Dutta (62), the supervisor of a private company, from Deothar under Santipur Police Station in Karbi Anglong District. The Police said that it could be the handiwork of the few cadres of the KLNLF who did not surrender along with the rest of the outfit. A source said that abductors have demanded INR four million for his release.

March 2: In the Budget Session of the Assam Legislative Assembly, the Governor of Assam, J. B. Patnaik said that the Government is ready for talks with the militants within the framework of the Constitution of India. In his speech, the Governor said that there has been perceptible improvement of the law and order situation mainly because of constant pressure by the SFs. A number of top United Liberation Front of Asom ULFA leaders were arrested in last few months, while, two important militant groups - KLNLF and Black Widow surrendered arms. "While we will continue to deal with any act of violence firmly, I would like to say that the doors are open for negotiation within the framework of the Constitution of India," the Governor added.

February 19: One KLNLF militant, identified as Babu Rongphar, was arrested by BSF from Golaghat. INR 5000, five subscriber identity module cards, live ammunitions, 22 calibers and 200 rounds were recovered from his possession.

In reply to a question on the strategy formulated by the bureaucrats to initiate the negotiation process, he said, "In the past, bureaucrats used to formulate strategies for such purposes. But these days, we (political heads) formulate strategies for the purpose," according to Assam Tribune. "My strategy has been paying dividends with many of these extremist groups like the KLNLF and the pro-talk faction of the NDFB coming for negotiated settlement of the contentious issues," he added.

February 11: The KLNLF surrenders in a formal surrender ceremony at the Kasa stadium in Diphu, the headquarters of Karbi Anglong District. The issue of a separate Karbi homeland (Hemprak Kanthim) under Article 3 of the Constitution will form the main issue during talks with the Government. Preparations for the mass surrender began on February 7 with 403 KLNLF cadres walking into the designated camp set up at Diphu Polytechnic. Another batch of nine militants, including the outfit’s ‘publicity secretary’ Rejek Dera, reached the camp on February 8. "We are now hoping for a fruitful political dialogue on the Hemprak Kanthim (homeland) issue. Both New Delhi and Dispur promised to seriously consider the demand of the Karbis and it was only because of the assurance that we agreed to come forward for a negotiated settlement. If the political machinery and government system sincerely fulfill our peoples’ demands, there will be peace, development and prosperity for all," Rejek Dera said over phone. The KLNLF had declared unilateral ceasefire in January 2009 and then extended it periodically.

Acting ‘chairman’ of the group Hage Khaathar led his top leaders including ‘commander-in-chief’ Songja Timong and ‘general secretary’ Thong Teron and 416 cadres for the decommissioning programme. Khaathar said, "We have realized our problems cannot be solved through an arms revolution but only through peace talks," at the surrender ceremony. The Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Union Joint Secretary of Home Department in-charge of Northeast Arvind Verma were also present at the programme. Gogoi said, "My government will help in speeding up the peace process. The rehabilitation package per decommissioned cadre will be increased to [INR] 2 lakh from [INR] 1.5 lakh. I will also give a development package of [INR] 50 crore for the district." Verma said tripartite talks among the Centre, the Assam Government and the KLNLF would be held soon. Sentinel added that the KLNLF militants deposited 43 AK rifles, 11 7.62 SLRs, 1 RPG, 1 machine gun, 8 US carbine/sten guns, 32 pistols/revolvers, 1 LMG, 1 shot gun, eight SBBLs, 129 electronic detonators, 22 grenades, two DEBBLs, 29 SBBLs, 9471 rounds of assorted ammunition, 25 kilogram of Trinitrotoluene (TNT), two IEDs, 500 grams of Research and Development Explosives (RDX), 218 assorted magazines, 14 radio sets, etc.

February 7: Altogether 403 KLNLF cadres, including the outfit’s ‘chief’ Habe Tokbi, reached Karbi Anglong District headquarters Diphu, ahead of their scheduled surrender on February 11.

February 2: Official sources said that the KLNLF with nearly 400 of its cadres slated to surrender would be publicly decommissioning its arms at Diphu in Karbi Anglong District on February 11. The KLNLF 'general secretary' Thong Teron said that his outfit had decided to go for the peace process as their 15-year-old 'self-rule revolution' had aggravated the situation in the District. Instead, they wanted to solve their problem politically, he added.

January 18: The formal surrender of arms by the KLNLF was postponed till the second week of February, instead of the earlier schedule of January 26, according to Sentinel. Sources said there was a marked difference between the Assam Government’s assessment of the outfit’s strength and the figure provided by the group. The Government wanted to sort this out so that it could take necessary steps for the militants'' transit and stay at designated camps. The other reason for the delay was the KLNLF’s insistence to surrender arms in the presence of Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram.

January 4: The ‘publicity secretary’ of the KLNLF Razak Dera says that that they were open for immediate peace talks with the Centre but demanded that Union Home Minister should be present in that talk. He said that the outfit's cadres, who were for a separate Karbi State, would not surrender but only deposit their arms.


December 26: The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has given its approval for cease-fire with the KLNLF and also assured to consider the outfit’s demand for a separate Karbi State. The KLNLF recently announced unilateral cease-fire for three months, from December 1, 2009 till March 1, 2010. Two top KLNLF leaders, through mediators, had held several rounds of talks with Additional Director General of Assam Police (Special Branch) Khagen Sarma, representative of the State Government, in this regard. They were, however, not ready to lay down arms until the Government assured a political solution to the Karbi issue. The Assam Government referred the matter to the Centre for approval. With the Centre clearing the decks for truce with the outfit, the KLNLF cadres would come over ground by formally surrendering arms at Diphu in Karbi Anglong District in January 2010.

December 25: The Army recovers two AK-56 rifles from an abandoned house at Tisson village in Karbi Anglong District. The rifles belong to the KLNLF militants.

December 21: Assam Government decides to carry on counter-insurgency operations in the State. The decision is taken at a Unified Command meeting chaired by the State Chief Secretary Prafulla Sarma and attended by top Government, Army and intelligence officials. The meeting welcomed the unilateral cease-fire declared by the KLNLF and recommended to the State Government to hold discussions with the outfit, official sources said.

December 17: The highly placed security sources said that the ULFA leaders, including the ‘chairman’, did not divulge the name of any political leader who paid money to the outfit. Sources mentioned that the ULFA was involved in selling arms and ammunition to different militant groups of the region, including ATTF, NLFT, KLNLF, etc. The outfit, over the years, managed to establish very good contacts with the clandestine arms dealers of South East Asian countries and also received Programmable Time Device (PTD) switches from Pakistan. The outfit still has a good stock of PTD switches and the potential to trigger off explosions, sources said. However, seizures of a large number of weapons of the ULFA in 2004 and 2007 in Bangladesh severely affected the outfit, sources added.

December 14: The KLNLF states that it would not sacrifice even one inch of Karbi land for the proposed Dimaraji State, while more than 50 Dimasa organizations have called for several protest programmes in demand for Dimaraji State comprising areas of North Cachar Hills, Karbi Anglong, Cachar and Nagaon Districts. The KLNLF ‘publicity secretary’ Rejak Dera said, "The Government will ultimately decide as to whether the proposed Dimaraji State will be actually formed. But we will not allow even an inch of Karbi land to be given for the proposed State. Such an action will not be tolerated at any cost." Extending full support to the demand for an autonomous State under Article 244 (A) of Indian Constitution by the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KACC), the ruling Congress and all political parties of Karbi Anglong, Dera said, "We have been fighting for an autonomous State for a long time now. If the Government can create a separate State for Telangana, why not Karbi Anglong?" On ULFA ‘commander-in-chief’ Paresh Baruah’s demand for a referendum on the issue of sovereignty, Dera said, "The public has to decide on that."

December 1: An ULFA militant, Gobin Ojha alias Kiran Jyoti Gogoi (29) and a KLNLF cadre, Arun Terong alias John Mukran (37), laid down arms before the Inspector-General of the Assam-Meghalaya frontier of the BSF, Prithvi Raj, at a surrender ceremony during the 45th raising day of the Paramilitary Force in Shillong. "Myanmar continues to be a safe haven for the ULFA cadres after the ongoing crackdown on militants by the Bangladeshi security forces," the ULFA cadre revealed. Ojha said three camps of the ‘28th battalion’ of the ULFA were in Myanmar, located adjacent to the camps of the NSCN-K. There were at present 110 ULFA cadres in the three camps and among the prominent leaders housed there include Konkon Gohain, Bijoy Chinese, Myanmar camp ‘commander’ Bijoy Das and Montu Saikia, he said. The militants said that the new cadres had to trek several days to reach the camps set up in a forest area in Myanmar. The ULFA cadre laid down one 7.65mm pistol and 5 rounds of 7.65mm ammunition. The KLNLF militant, Terong, who was the ‘finance commander’ of the outfit, laid down a 9-mm pistol.

November 27: The KLNLF declared unilateral cease-fire for a period of three months beginning December 1, 2009. R. Dera, the ‘publicity secretary’ of the outfit, said this over phone that "during this period we expect co-operation from the Government, NGOs, civil societies and different outfits to fulfil the long-standing demand of the people of Karbi Anglong".

November 17: Army personnel arrested a 'sergeant' of the KLNLF, identified as Chondron Timung, at Panimoor under Umrangso Police Station in the North Cachar Hills District and recovered a pistol and live ammunition.

November 11: 19 militants belonging to the NDFB, KLNLF, AANLA and ULFA surrendered before the Dah Division's headquarter at Dinjan in Dibrugarh District. Speaking on the occasion, Major General B.S. Sachar, the GOC of Dah Division, attributed the large-scale surrender to the peace initiatives of the Government and support from the local people.

November 10: The BSF personnel arrested three KLNLF militants and two linkmen from Dolamara in the Karbi Anglong District in the morning. The arrested militants were identified as Mahi Ram (35), Juna Taro, Tarte Rongphar (40) and their linkmen Gaon Bura Rongphar (50) and Sar Singhterana (30).

A suspected KLNLF militant was shot dead in an encounter with the SFs at Hawai Engti village under Baithalangso Police Station in the Karbi Anglong District. One .38 mm revolver, five live ammunitions, several incriminating documents and enrolment format papers were recovered from the possession of the slain militant.

November 4: An unidentified KLNLF militant was shot dead in an encounter with a joint team of the Army and Assam Police at Hawai Ingti village under Baithalangsu Police Station in Karbi Anglong District at 4.30am (IST).

October 12: One KLNLF cadre, identified as Babul Ingtey, was arrested by the Police from Deithor area under Bokajan Police Station in Karbi Anglong District.

September 20: The KLNLF stated that it would never surrender weapons for the sake of any political dialogue though it would wait for a response from the Government till the end of September 2009. The outfit also denied any hand in the abduction of two officials of a mineral exploration company. The KLNLF 'publicity secretary', Rezek Dera, said over phone from an undisclosed location that the outfit's stand on arms surrender had been intimated at an informal meeting with representatives from the State Government on September 10.

September 19: Two employees of a central public sector undertaking, Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited, were abducted from Mulabheti site in Jiajuri hills under Howraghat Police Station, bordering Karbi Anglong and Nagaon District in the night. They were identified as Gopal Mandal and Motilal Dey. The KLNLF claimed responsibility for the abduction of two persons and demanded INR five millions for their release. "In the morning we received, a telephone call from a person who claimed to be a KLNLF cadre. He told us that Mandal and Dey were being held as hostages and demanded INR five millions ransom from us," a company source said. The Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited is involved in exploration of silica in Jiajuri hills bordering Karbi Anglong. "Our team, comprising 20 members, started exploration in March this year and we were to leave the District just after Durga Puja (Dushhera)," the source said. "We received no extortion letter from any organisation before the kidnapping of the two officials," the source added.

September 13: Police recovered a cache of arms and ammunition from a banana farm at Kheroni under Kheroni Police Station in the Karbi Anglong District. Nine extortion notes belonging to the KLNLF and some documents related to the Hindu Liberation Army were also recovered. The recovered arms include two pistols, 102 rounds of ammunition and four grenades.

August 28: An unidentified KLNLF militant was shot dead by the Army during an encounter at Srilangshu in Karbi Anglong District. Two AK-56 rifles and ammunition were recovered from the encounter site.

August 22: The KLNLF is reportedly ready to deposit arms before the Assam Police in order to enter into a cease-fire with the Government. According to sources, the development has taken place at the initiative of a top officer in the Special Branch of the State Police Force.

August 2: The KLNLF 'Publicity Secretary' Rezek Bera said the outfit has set September 2009 as a deadline for the Government of India to hold peace talks with it, failing which, the group will attacks Government officials and Hindi-speaking people from October 2009. Talking to the media, Bera said: "We have submitted our 11-point charter of demands to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs. The ministry hasn't accepted six of the 11 demands." He claimed that the KLNLF still has a big arsenal and a 200-strong force that is ready to fight.

June 28: Two KLNLF militants were shot dead at Miki Basti in the Karbi Anglong District. Eight rounds of ammunition and two pistols were recovered from the possession of the slain militants.

Two KLNLF militants were arrested from the Gohpur area of Karbi Anglong District.

June 26: June 26: Two unidentified KLNLF militants were shot dead in an encounter with SFs at Bogapani area under Howraghat Police Station in Karbi Anglong District. One 9-mm Pistol and one IED were recovered from the possession of the slain militants.

June 4: Three KLNLF militants, identified as Kehang Ronghang, Angphar Timung and Chinthong Tisso, surrendered before the SFs at Diphu in the Karbi Anglong District.

June 3: Three militants, including a senior ULFA militant identified as Madhurjya Gogoi, were killed in an encounter with the Army at Chayabhata village in Karbi Anglong District around 1.30pm (IST). Gogoi was a self-styled 'lieutenant' of the banned outfit. Of the other two militants, one was Gogoi's bodyguard while another was a KLNLF cadre. An AK-series rifle, two 9mm pistols, a Chinese grenade, ammunition and cash-receipt book were recovered from the encounter site.

June 1: One KLNLF militant was shot dead when a joint team of the Police and Army neutralised a camp of the outfit near Upper Deopani under Barpathar Police station in Karbi Anglong District.

May 26: SFs arrested a woman militant of the KLNLF from Langlakso area under Howraghat Police Station in the Karbi Anglong District. She was identified as Jangni Tissopi (25) of Mentila area in the same District. According to her confession, she joined the KLNLF three years ago.

May 25: The driver of an Army-hired patrolling vehicle was injured when suspected KLNLF militants lobbed a grenade and exploded an IED at Laklangsu in Karbi Anglong District.

May 18: Police sources revealed that KLNLF chairman Pradeep Terong alias Pongbi Dilli, who was arrested from Lumpyngngad in Meghalaya on April 13, had planned to form a group on the lines of ULFA-constituted People's Consultative Group (PCG) comprising Karbi literary, religious and other influential persons. According to the Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) B. L. Buam, Dili visited Shillong in Meghalaya to form an over ground body of the outfit with religious leaders, students and literalists and that he had already held a meeting with some people on the matter. The rebel leader considered Shillong as a safe place to organise such a meeting as the religious leaders, students and literalists concerned were not ready to meet in Karbi Anglong or North Cachar Hills fearing Police action. "We are investigating the matter. A broader picture would emerge after completion of investigations," Buam said, adding, "KLNLF wants to widen its area of operation from North Cachar Hills to Karbi Anglong now dominated by the BW."

May 13: Assam Police arrested KLNLF self-styled chairman, Pradeep Terang alias Pongbi Dilli from Lumpyngngad in Shillong city. Police said the arrested KLNLF leader had been staying in Shillong for quite sometime. One mobile set was recovered from his possession.

May 10: SFs shot dead an unidentified KLNLF militant in an encounter near Tengralangso in the Karbi Anglong District.

May 6: A major camp of the KLNLF was neutralised by the Army in Karbi Anglong District. While a huge cache of arms was recovered, all the 30 to 40 militants in the camp, however, managed to escape prior to the arrival of the SFs.

May 5: Two SF personnel were killed and two others injured when suspected militants of an unidentified Naga outfit ambushed a convoy of the CRPF and Assam Police personnel at Baghjaan in Karbi Anglong District, who were escorting private vehicles passing through Assam-Nagaland border in Karbi Anglong District. Two slain SF personnel were identified as Rajesh Kumar of the CRPF and Lakhi Prasad Deuri of Assam Police. "We have found evidence of the involvement of Naga militants in the ambush," a senior Police official in Karbi Anglong said. He said a few villagers near Baghjaan had told the Police that they had seen unidentified youths had moved from Nagaland into Baghjaan. Bokajan Sub-Divisional Police Officer C. Gogoi said the KLNLF, initially suspected to have ambushed the SF personnel, had hardly any presence in the area. "We are not ruling out the involvement of the KLNLF, but the cadres of some other militant outfits may also have a hand in it," he added.

April 21: Six militants were arrested by SFs from different parts of Sonitpur District. Two KLNLF militants, identified as Sersing Terang and Jonaram Terang, were arrested from Biswanath Chariali in the Pathorijan Karbi block by a team of the Police and Assam Rifles. One bomb, a revolver, five detonators and 80 rounds of ammunition were seized from their possession. Elsewhere in the same District, a joint team of Police and Assam Rifles team also arrested three militants of the AANLA and seized a revolver from them. Another unidentified militant was arrested and live cartridges were recovered from his possession.

April 17: Two BSF personnel, Constable Darbar Singh and Constable Hari Narayan, were injured when the KLNLF militants triggered twin blasts near Jampar Hansa village under Borpathar Police Station in Karbi Anglong District. The Bokajan Sub-Divisional Police Officer Chitren Gogoi said the BSF personnel were on their way to Borlaguri, Borlong and Arlongati to escort a team of election officials back to Bokajan, which is about 105 kilometers from the three polling booths and nearly 75 kilometers from the blast site. The KLNLF militants laid an ambush in the area with one IED planted on a tree and the other on the dirt track the BSF personnel were travelling on, he added.

April 16: The KLNLF militants opened fire at a polling booth in Karbi Anglong District. According to Police sources, the militants fired at a polling booth in Perkup on the Karbi Anglong-Nagaon border. They managed to escape when SF personnel retaliated. However, no loss of life or injury was reported.

April 13: Several BSF personnel had a narrow escape when a bomb planted by KLNLF militants went off just after their vehicle passed Mandalgaon Dolamora in Karbi Anglong District.

April 9: Two KLNLF militants, identified as Joken Terang and Ajit Pangcho, surrendered before the 16th Battalion of the Border Security Force in Golaghat District.

March 27: The SF personnel neutralised one KLNLF camp in the forest area of Bargaon under Boithalangshu Police Station of Karbi Anglong District and recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition.

Shillong Times reports that settlers who are mainly outsiders engaged in farming, as well as daily wage labourers and petty shopkeepers in the Karbi Anglong District pay ransom thrice a year to different militant outfits, including KLNLF, Dimasa National Liberation Front and Black Widow (BW). The sum ranges from INR 5,000 to INR 50,000 depending upon the economic condition of the person.

March 18: A civilian, Naba Basumatary, was shot dead and two others were abducted by the KLNLF militants at the Kafitoli stone quarry in Nagaon District.

The KLNLF militants triggered a powerful bomb explosion on a railway track in the Karbi Anglong District targeting the Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express. The incident occurred five kilometres away from the Diphu town at 1.10am (IST). However, no casualty was reported. The SFs later recovered another powerful improvised explosive device from the tracks.

March 17: KLNLF militants shot dead a local Congress party leader of Borkok Block, Joy Singh Kro (40), at his residence at Bokok in the Karbi Anglong District. Police sources said four militants went to Kro’s residence and shot him in the courtyard from a close range.

March 1: The KLNLF extended its unilateral cease-fire with the Union Government for another 15 days with effect from March 1. The outfit’s earlier cease-fire period expired on February 28.

February 28: 45 militants, including 32 ULFA cadres, six KLNLF cadres, five NDFB cadres and a cadre each of the MULTA and PLF-M, surrendered along with a huge quantity of arms and ammunition before Red Horns Division of Indian Army in a surrender ceremony organized at Rangiya of Kamrup District.

February 27: One KLNLF militant, Babu Phancho alias Jiten Tumuna, surrendered before the BSF at Dolomara area of Karbi Anglong District. He laid down one AK 47 rifle, AK 47 magazine and six rounds of ammunition.

February 15: One unidentified KLNLF militant was shot dead by the troops during an encounter at Langlakso Hanse village under Howraghat Police Station in the Karbi Anglong District. Some arms and ammunition were recovered from his possession.

February 3: One unidentified KLNLF cadre was shot dead during an encounter with the Assam Rifles personnel at Anjukpani under Howraghat Police station in the Karbi Anglong District. One AK-56 rifle was recovered from the encounter site.

January 28: The SFs neutralised a KLNLF camp at Langlakso under the Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong District. According to police, 12 KLNLF militants managed to escape before the SF personnel reached the camp. Some clothes, shoes and cooking materials were recovered from the camp.

Two KLNLF cadres, identified as Surendra Tokbi and Kalam Sing Kro, were arrested by the SFs from Centre Bazaar in the Karbi Anglong District. An identity card issued by the Karbi Anglong District Congress Committee was recovered from his possession.

January 21: Two KLNLF militants and a KNPF militant were killed in two separate encounters with SFs in the Karbi Anglong District. In the first incident near Laklangso under Howraghat police station, two KLNLF militants, identified as Bidya Ronghang and Deven Ronghang, were shot dead. In the second incident at Dungkalangso under Bokolia police station, Ritik Hanse, a KNPF militant, was killed in an encounter. One 9mm pistol was recovered from the possession of the slain militant. One grenade, a 9-mm pistol and 19 live rounds of ammunition were found from the encounter site at Howraghat.

January 20: Army personnel recovered a large cache of explosives and ammunition, including one kilogramme of plastic explosives, 235 detonators, eight metres of safety fuse and large number of ammunition of AK series, 9-mm and 7.62 ammunition from a house in the Bhelughat area of Karbi Anglong District. Police sources said the cache belonged to the KLNLF.

January 18: The 36-hour general shutdown called by the KLNLF in the Karbi Anglong District, in protest against the killing of one of their cadres, passed off peacefully with no report of any untoward incident. Government offices, educational institutions and private establishments, however, remained closed during the shutdown period on January 17-18.

January 17: Army personnel arrested a linkman of the KLNLF, Rajesh Ronghang, from Tisso village under Bakalia Police station in the Karbi Anglong District. INR 24,000 was recovered from him. Army sources said Rajesh used to collect cash from the village elders for the militant outfit.

January 15: The KLNLF has threatened to withdraw its unilateral ceasefire "if the security forces continue their intensified operation" against the outfit. "We will be forced to withdraw the unilateral cease-fire from February 1," said Rijak Dera, publicity secretary of the KLNLF in a press release. "We want peace in Karbi Anglong and NC Hills, hence we declared unilateral ceasefire on January 1, 2009 to pave the way for normalcy. On the contrary the security forces intensified their operation against us", he added. The KLNLF has also called for a 36-hour shut down in the Karbi Anglong District beginning from 5 am on January 16 to 5 pm on January 17 in protest against the killing of 'corporal' Longki Timung by the Security Forces on January 12.

January 12: The Assam Government stated in the Legislative Assembly that eight militant groups, including the ULFA, KLNLF, Black Widow, AANLA, KRA, HuM, MULTA and HPC-D, are active in the State. Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain said that both the ULFA and NDFB are carrying out subversive activities in Assam under the influence of foreign powers and top leaders of the outfit are staying abroad. He further said that in 2008, 124 militants belonging to various outfits were killed and over 1300 were arrested. The Security Forces also recovered 203 bombs and 202 grenades from the militants.

January 6: A KLNLF militant, Joginder Baglari, who hailed from Dokmoka in the Karbi Anglong District, was arrested by the Border Security Force personnel from Umrangsoo in the North Cachar Hills District. INR 195000, suspected to be extorted money for the outfit, was recovered from his possession.

January 2: Personnel of the Rajput Regiment neutralised a camp of the KLNLF at Lankaso in the Karbi Anglong District and arrested one ‘sergeant major’ of the outfit. Four landmines, 300 detonators, an AK-47 Rifle and a 51 mm mortar were also recovered from the camp.


December 30: The KLNLF and its armed wing the KNPR declared a unilateral cease-fire for two months beginning from January 1, 2009 to March 1, 2009. P. Dili, ‘chairman’ of KLNLF/KNPR, mentioned in a press release that the KLNLF does not want sovereign status or secession from India but wants Hemprak Kangthim (self-rule) within the ambit of the Indian Constitution.

December 25: A suspected militant belonging to an unidentified Naga group, identified as Diventho, was arrested from Manja in the Karbi Anglong District. Three 7.6mm pistols and six magazines were also recovered from his possession. According to sources, Diventho has been supplying arms to militant outfits like the KLNLF and BW.

The KLNLF warned the Assam Government and the Karbi Autonomous Council that it should not be held responsible for any violence against Hindi-speaking community in the days ahead.

December 17: One Mazibur Rahman alias Majib of Muslimpatty under Hojai Police Station in the Nagaon District was arrested by the Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO) of Hojai, Dharmendra Das, for his involvement in selling arms to militant outfits and other criminal organisations. According to information received from the SDPO, "Mazibur Rahman is involved in selling arms to extremist groups and has clandestine links with KLNLF, DHD, anti-social elements and also linked to various criminal activities. The SDPO further informed that Rahman was a most wanted criminal and absconding for a long time. He was in Saudi Arabia in between 1992-94 and Mumbai for some years."

December 16: 38 militants belonging to different militant outfits of the North East, including the ULFA, NSCN-K, KLNLF, surrendered before Major General Jatinder Singh, General Officer in-Command of 2 Mountain Division, at its headquarter in Dinjan of Tinsukia District. Out of these, 16 were from ‘B’ company of ‘28th Battalion’ of ULFA, seven from ‘C’ company of ‘28th Battalion’ of ULFA, four from its headquarter, seven from NSCN-K and remaining four from KLNLF. Among the surrendered, there were two female cadres of ULFA. The surrendered militants handed over 35 weapons, including pistols, revolvers, rifles, and a cache of ammunition.

December 8: The KLNLF withdrew its indefinite economic and road blockade, which has been on in the North Cachar Hills District since December 2. KLNLF chief P. Dili said the temporary withdrawal is due to a request from different social and political organisations of Karbi Anglong, which want an end to the crisis for the greater interest of development of the region.

December 7: SFs neutralised a KLNLF camp at Langchitung under Dokmoka police station in the Karbi Anglong district.

The KLNLF announced that the ongoing economic blockade in the district will continue without any respite and if the authorities don’t comply with the demand of the organization before long, it will go for a Karbi Anglong bandh (strike) for an indefinite period. R. Dera, ‘publicity secretary’ of the KLNLF, also informed the media over phone that militants who laid down their arms before the army on December 6 at Jagiroad were not members of the outfit.

December 6: Nine persons, including two children, were injured in a bomb blast at a marketplace near Kheroni village in Karbi Anglong district. Police suspect the hand of KLNLF behind the blast. The blast coincided with the KLNLF’s ‘foundation day’. It was the second blast suspected to have been triggered by the KLNLF in the past five days since the indefinite economic blockade called by the outfit began on December 2.

Eight KLNLF militants, identified as Minder Tisso, Temson Terang, Solman Phangso, John Hanse, Khonsing Singhner, Dhaniram Rongpi alias Mangalsing Rongpi, Kamsing Tisso and Lingdok Ronghang, surrendered before the Red Horns Division of the Army at Jagiroad in the Morigaon District. They also deposited three AK-56 rifles, one 9mm pistol and a cache of ammunition.

December 4: A counter-insurgency operation against the KLNLF was intensified following the recent blast on a passenger train in Diphu Railway station on December 1.

December 2: A KLNLF militant shot dead a Hindi-speaking tempo driver and his cousin at Dolamora in Karbi Anglong district. Two victims were identified as Ram Kumar Sonar and Ruma Sonar. Police recovered several spent cartridges of AK-47 rifle from the attack site.

December 1: At least three persons, including a child, were killed and 30 others injured in a bomb blast suspected to have been triggered by the KLNLF outfit in a passenger train at Diphu railway station in the Karbi Anglong district. According to police sources, the bomb was kept inside coach number 8209 of 901 Lumding-Tinsukia passenger train. The bomb exploded at around 8am (IST) as the train entered Diphu railway station. While no one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, an intelligence official said the KLNLF is a suspect.

November 25: Around six KLNLF militants managed to decamp with the gun which they snatched away from the security personnel belonging to the anti-poaching unit of the forest department in the Kaziranga National Park.

The Army neutralised a KLNLF camp at Chipilangsu in the Karbi Anglong district and recovered an AK-47 rifle, 33 rounds of M-20 ammunition, one KLNLF flag, three combat jackets, four blankets, and five kilograms of rice.

November 24: An encounter between the Army and KLNLF militants took place at Tarlong in the Diphu district. However, no causality was reported from the incident site.

November 10: The 16th Battalion of the BSF arrested a KLNLF militant identified as John Rangpar of Saroti village, near Chokiwala in the Golaghat district. One China-made Hand Grenade, 6 rounds ammunition of 5.56 Rifle and one Pistol Magazine recovered from his possession.

November 3: Three civilians belonging to non-Assamese community were killed by KLNLF militants at Bamuni Sukanjuri village under Samaguri police station in the Nagaon district bordering the Karbi Anglong district. Police sources said that the killing was the result of failure of the victims to meet the extortion demands by the militants.

October 28: Two KLNLF militants were killed by the Army personnel during an encounter near the Madarjuri anti-poaching camp of Panbari reserve forest in the Kaziranga National Park of Golaghat district. Two pistols were recovered from the possession of the slain militants. October 21: The troopers of 5 Rajputana Rifles arrested three KLNLF militants and a UPDS militant at Rangapara village near Deupani under Bokajan police station in central Assam's Karbi Anglong district. One Chinese-made m-20 pistols with six rounds of live ammunition were recovered from them.

October 19: Police arrested a KLNLF militant, identified as Kargo Singha, from Arleng village under Howraghat police station. October 16: Four KLNLF militants surrendered before the BSF personnel at Guwahati. They were identified as Hun Rongphar, Jiten Rongphar, Edwin Hanse and Sanjit Tokbi. The surrendered militants deposited three pistols and several magazines.

September 8: Two KLNLF militants surrendered before 77th Mountain Brigade Commander Brigadier G. S. Chandel, Karbi Anglong Deputy Commissioner M.C. Sahu and Superintendent of Police K.K. Sharma at Howraghat. They were identified as Corporal Arlin Rongpi and Welson Rongpi. They deposited one 9-mm Browning pistol, three 40-mm UBGL grenades, one .303 single pistol and a cache of ammunition.

October 7: Reacting sharply on the formation of a new organisation known as UKNLF, the publicity secretary of KLNLF, R Dera, said that the new armed organisation has been set up solely to divide the Karbi people and it is nothing but a political conspiracy by the government before the parliamentary elections.

September 6: The KLNLF called for a 12 hour bandh in protest against the killing of one of its cadres on September 4 at Tisom Gaon under Bakalia police station by the security forces.

September 4: A KLNLF militant, identified as Arkli Hanse, was killed in an encounter with the Army at Tichangaon under Bokolia police station.

August 29: The Baithalangso police arrested a KLNLF leader, identified as Nakchon Teron, from Howraghat.

August 28: 39 militants, including 31 cadres of the ‘709 and 27 battalions’ of the ULFA, surrendered before the Army at the headquarters of the 21 Mountain Division at Rangia , about 45 kilometres way from Guwahati. The others included five KLNLF cadres and cadres from the AANLA. The surrendered militants deposited a huge cache of arms and ammunition, including pistols, revolvers, grenades, detonators and gelatine sticks.

August 25: One KLNLF militant, Monjir Rongphar, is shot dead by the troops at Jengkha under Kherani police station near the boundary between Karbi Anglong and Nagaon districts.

August 21: The KLNLF outfit has given a 20-day ultimatum to all suspected Bangladeshi migrants and encroachers who have been illegally occupying the land of Karbi Anglong district.

August 14: The Karbi Anglong District Police recovered two crude bombs from the Dokmoka and Parakhowa areas. Police suspect that the KLNLF had planted the bombs.

August 13: One KLNLF cadre, identified as Kheyang Timung, is arrested by SF personnel from Borkok under Baithalangso police station.

May 31: Three KLNLF militants surrendered before the security forces along with an AK-47 rifle, three magazines, and two 9-mm pistols in Guwahati.

May 23: Two KLNLF militants surrendered before the security forces at Dinjan Army camp in the Dibrugarh district.

April 22 : Eight militants belonging to the KLNLF and AANLA give up arms in a surrender ceremony held at the Circuit House in Diphu in the Karbi Anglong district.

April 20: The KLNLF retaliates the killing of its cadre by triggering a bomb blast near the statue of Karbi leader Rangfarpi Rangvi in Diphu town. Police sources say that the Deputy Superintendent of Police (Karbi Anglong), N. Dungal, sustained minor injuries in the blast.

A KLNLF militant is killed and huge quantities of arms and explosives were recovered by the security forces (SFs) when they neutralised a KLNLF camp at Manja area in the Karbi Anglong district. While five other militants manage to escape, an AK-56 rifle, three AK-47 rifles, one .30 Winchester carbine, one 40-mm Single Barrel Grenade Launcher, one 5.56 rifle with an Under Barrel Grenade Launcher, 234 rounds of assorted ammunitions of AK-56 & AK-47 rifles and a .303 rifle with magazines are recovered from the incident site.

April 10: At least 41 persons were injured in a bomb blast triggered by suspected KLNLF militants at a market in the Howraghat area of Karbi Anglong district.

April 8: Two KLNLF militants were arrested by the security forces in the Karbi Anglong district. One KLNLF militant, identified as Jiten Hansie, was arrested from Manja area and a Chinese grenade was recovered from his possession. Another militant, identified as Kangpura Rongpi alias Rang Rongpi, was arrested from Diphu.

February 24: Suspected KLNLF militants shot dead two Hindi-speaking persons in the Bokoliaghat Rangnagar village under Bokoliaghat police station of Karbi Anglong district. The victims were identified as Biswanath Chauhan and Radheshyam Chauhan.

February 22: Three KLNLF militants were shot dead by the security forces in an operation in the Kamalabhati village under Howraghat Police Station in the Karbi Anglong district. Two AK-56 rifles, four single barrel guns, 177 rounds of ammunition of assorted weapons were recovered at the site of the encounter.

February 11: Two KLNLF militants surrendered before the security forces at Dinjan in the Dibrugarh district.

January 23: One KLNLF militant was shot dead while another was arrested by the security force (SF) personnel in an encounter near Bokajan in Karbi Anglong district. According to official sources, the militant was killed when he tried to escape by opening fire on the security forces. One AK-56 rifle, two magazines and 50 live cartridges were recovered from their possession.

A KLNLF militant, identified as Philip Singnar, was killed in an encounter with the SFs at Kakajan under Borpathar Police Station in the Karbi Anglong district. Another cadre, Lorence Teron, was arrested by the SFs on the spot while another managed to escape taking advantage of the dense forest. An AK-56, two magazines, a smoke grenade and 55 rounds of live immunizations were recovered from their possession.

A 24-hour bandh (general strike) was called by the KLNLF in the Karbi Anglong and North Cachar Hills districts from 5pm (IST) of January 25 till 5pm of January 26 in protest against the "incursion of Indian occupational forces" in the territory of the two districts.

January 11: Two KLNLF militants were killed by the security forces in Golaghat district. An AK 47 rifle and a pistol were also recovered from them.


December 17: Two KLNLF militants were killed in an encounter with the security forces in Karbi Anglong district. A group of militants fired at the security force personnel at Chowkihola in the Bokajan police station area, and in the retaliatory fire, two militants were killed.

November 23: The KLNLF militants along with its armed wing Karbi Anglong-NC Hills Peoples` Resistance imposed a ban on the entry of the Congress party leaders to the rural areas of the Karbi Anglong district with effect from January 1, 2008. The group said that the ban has been enforced due to the failure of the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council administration and the State Government to implement government-designed schemes and redressal of the grievances of the needy people. Citing irregularities in the utilisation of various government funds, the ‘chief of the staff’ of KNPR and ‘captain’ of KLNLF, S Timung, in a press release, alleged that the Congress-led KAAC is involved in rampant corruption and fund embezzlement to the tune of several crores meant for the development of the hill district.

November 20: Security forces shot dead two unidentified KLNLF militants at Belughat under Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong district. Two AK-47 rifles and some RPGs were recovered from the slain militants.

November 14: Security forces killed one KLNLF militant, identified as Jewel Kro, and arrested one of his colleagues, Waising Kathar, from Chokihola area under Bokajan police station in the Karbi Anglong district. A US-made .765 pistol with six round cartridges and a magazine was recovered from his possession.

October 29: SFs arrested four unidentified linkmen of the KLNLF from the Karbi Anglong and Nagaon districts.

October 23: Thirty-one ULFA militants and two from the KLNLF surrendered along with a huge cache of arms and explosives at Tamulpur in the Baksa district. One Thailand-made pistol, two PT 32 pistols, eight rounds of PT 32 pistol, an AK-56 Rifle, a radio set, ten rounds of AK-56 rifle, five rounds of 9 mm pistol, ten detonators, 20 metres fuse wire and four power gel explosives 801 (25 mm X25 mm) were deposited by the militants.

October 13: Security forces neutralized a joint camp of the NSCN-IM and KLNLF inside Kaki Reserve Forest area in the Karbi Anglong district. While the militants managed to escape, 79 rounds of AK-47 ammunition were recovered from the hideout.

September 25: Three KLNLF militants, while coming to extort INR 50 lakhs as ransom from the management body of a public sector undertaking, Cement Corporation of India, are arrested by police at Sorihojan in the Karbi Anglong district.

September 10: One unidentified KLNLF militant surrendered to the SFs, along with an AK-56 Rifle, a magazine and 20 rounds of ammunitions, at Lengri in the Karbi Anglong district.

September 8: Two unidentified KLNLF cadres surrendered along with arms at a surrender ceremony at Lengri in the Karbi Anglong district. The two militants are reportedly responsible for the massacre of 29 Hindi-speaking people in August 2007.

September 5: Security forces, during three raids in the Karbi Anglong district, arrested three unidentified cadres of the NSCN-IM, NDFB and KLNLF. Sources said that the militants were allegedly involved in extortion activities.

September 3: SFs arrested two KLNLF militants, Robinson Hanse and Labiram Kramsa, from Samelangso area under Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong district.

August 31: The army has launched major operations in the Upper Assam and surrounding areas of the Guwhati city to strike at terrorist bases and urban hideouts. An unnamed army official said, "A major operation is on for the past 15 days and we are achieving success in hitting ULFA and its sister militant outfits." During the operations, the army has been successful in neutralizing sanctuaries and hideouts of the ULFA, NDFB and the Manipur-based KNLF.

August 30: Security forces killed two KLNLF militants, ‘sergeant major’ Dimapur Bey and ‘lance corporal’ Harbaman, at Timung village in the Rongapara area under Howraghat police station of Karbi Anglong district. One US-made .45 machine gun along with 15 live cartridges, one 9-mm pistol, CDs, batteries, a TV, a radio, mobile phones, army fatigues, torches and INR 79,483 are recovered from the incident site.

August 28: Suspected KLNLF militants triggered an explosion at the residence of Assam Hills Area Development Minister Khorsingh Engti at Hauraghat in the Karbi Anglong district. While no casualty is reported, the building is partially damaged in the incident. Police said the militants had planted the remote-controlled bomb at one end of the perimeter wall of the residence. The blast is reportedly meant to prevent the Minister from attending a public meeting at Dolamara, where militants of the same outfit had shot dead 18 Hindi-speaking persons in two separate attacks on August 10 and August 12.

August 13: Police personnel killed two unidentified KNLNF militants at Mouzadar Basti in the Karbi Anglong district. Police sources said that a gang of six to seven KNLNF militants are taking shelter at Mouzadar Basti.

Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, in a Unified Command Structure meeting held at Guwahati, has asked the security forces to dismantle all camps of the ULFA and KLNLF from Karbi Anglong district to put an end to the current killings of the Hindi-speaking people. "At present, the ULFA, in connivance with the KLNLF, has been carrying out subversive activities in Karbi Anglong. So long the camps of the two rebel groups are there, they will continue to kill Hindi-speaking people. I have asked the security forces to dismantle the camps," he added.

The UPDS has charged the ULFA of hatching a conspiracy with the KLNLF to start an ethnic clash in the Karbi Anglong district by killing Hindi-speaking people. UPDS publicity secretary Thung E. Nongloda said: "The ULFA has been killing Hindi-speaking people in various parts of the State, and now the outfit has started such killings in Karbi Anglong after coming into an understanding with the KLNLF."

August 12: Suspected KLNLF militants shot dead six civilians and injured two others at two different places in the Karbi Anglong district. Four civilians, Mahabir Swami, Nandalal Swami, Sila Gupta and Mohan Kanu, are shot dead by the KLNLF militants at Rongbonghat village under Bokajan police station. Two other civilians, Kanhaiyala Swami and Ramesh Swami, sustained injuries in the attack. Similarly, two more Hindi-speaking Bihari migrants, Suraj Sahani and Nanu Satnami, are killed at Parokhowa bazaar under Howraghat police station.

Armed militants reportedly threatened to kill more Hindi-speaking migrants as they said it is the order from ‘higher-ups’. The KLNLF has also called for a 20-hour Karbi Anglong strike beginning 5 pm on August 14.

According to intelligence sources, ULFA is targeting the Hindi-speaking people at the diktat of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan’s external intelligence agency, and jihadi forces. The group is being assisted by the KLNLF which has well-equipped bases in the hill district. Sources said that the ISI and jihadi groups active in Assam and the North-east have deployed at least two ULFA cells in and around Guwahati to carry out subversive activities in the run-up to the Independence Day celebrations on August 15.

August 11: Two more civilians succumbed to their injuries raising the death toll to 14 in the ULFA and KLNLF-joint attack at Rongteron village under the Bokajan Police Station on August 10.

August 10: A group of 10-15 suspected ULFA and KLNLF militants attacked a village at Dolamara in the Karbi Anglong district and shot dead 11 Hindi-speaking migrant workers on August 10-night. The dead include four women and two children belonging to two families originally hailing from the State of Bihar. The Deputy Inspector General of Police, Lajja Ram Bishnoi, said, "The militants went berserk and killed 11 people belonging to two Hindi-speaking families after entering their houses." All the victims are petty cultivators engaged in tilling the land of local villagers in that area.

One KLNLF militant, Archok Engti, surrendered before the army at the Red Horns camp at Lengry in the Karbi Anglong district along with a 7.65 mm pistol made in Italy, a magazine and 12 rounds of ammunition. Engti reportedly joined the group in 2003 and are undergoing training in weapons handling. He is also involved in extortion and kidnapping activities.

August 8: Nine civilians are killed and five others injured when a group of ULFA and KLNLF militants opened indiscriminate fire at Ampahar Basti village under Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong district. The Hindi speaking communities living in that village are attacked by the militants with sophisticated weapons. Eight persons, including four women and three children, died on the spot while another person died while on the way to hospital.

August 3: A group of suspected ULFA and KLNLF militants shot dead one civilian, Shatrughan Pandey, at Dergaon market under Howraghat Police Station in the Karbi Anglong district.

July 19: Four unidentified militants belonging to KLNLF are arrested from Dhansiri under Diphu subdivision in the Karbi Anglong district along an unspecified number of arms.

July 18: SFs arrested two KLNLF militants, Jony Thokbi and Son Timung, following an operation at Gautam Basti near Khatkati under Bokajan police station in the Karbi Anglong district.

July 15: Suspected KLNLF militants abducted Kailash Jha, a senior official, and Madan Kumar Bora, security officer, of the public sector undertaking Cement Corporation of India from Dilai in the Karbi Anglong district. Bora was released subsequently.

July 13: Police arrested one KLNLF linkman, identified as Kamsing Tisso, from Kanjukathai near Bakalia under Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong district. Sources revealed that Tisso has been involved actively in extortion activities on behalf of the outfit.

June 30: Four persons are killed and at least 40 others injured in four bomb blasts – three in upper Assam’s Tinsukia district and one in central Assam’s Karbi Anglong district. Three persons are killed in two successive bomb blasts at a fish market and a textile market in the Tinsukia town. 12 persons are injured in another blast that occurred, almost simultaneously, in front of a cinema hall at Doomdooma town. One woman is killed and seven persons are injured when suspected KLNLF militants lobbed a grenade in the marketplace at Diphu.

June 19: Two CRPF personnel are killed and five other security force personnel are injured in an ambush by suspected cadres of the ULFA and KLNLF at Samelangshu area under Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong district. The militants ambushed the joint patrol of police and CRPF team led by the Karbi Anglong Superintendent of Police.

June 6: Two unidentified militants of the KLNLF are killed in an encounter with the police at villages Sarpo Tisso and Mon Tokbi under Dillai out post in the Karbi Anglong district.

June 3: Four police personnel are killed and two others sustained injuries when Karbi Longri National Liberation Front (KLNLF) militants ambushed a police patrolling party at Koilajan area under Bokajan police station in the Karbi Anglong district.

May 30: Four groups - the United People's Democratic Solidarity (UPDS), Karbi Longri North Cachar Liberation Front (KLNLF), DHD and Black Widow, reportedly have launched widespread extortion drives in their respective strongholds in the Karbi Anglong and North Cachar hill districts making the life of common people, government staff and traders miserable.

March 7: Assam Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain informs the State Legislative Assembly that as many as 87 persons including 83 civilians and four security force personnel were killed in militant violence in January, 2007. During the month, the militants belonging to the ULFA and Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF) triggered 28 explosions in different parts of the State killing 12 civilians and four security force personnel. Minister says that 459 persons were killed and 1350 injured by the ULFA since 2001.

February 3: Two unidentified KLNLF militants are killed in an encounter with Police at Khasi Kunji Market under Samaguri police station in the Nagaon district.

January 22: A portion of the railway track between Diphu and Nailalong Railway stations in the Karbi Anglong district is damaged due to a bomb explosion triggered by suspected ULFA and KLNLF militants.

January 6: The Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF) militants kill eight polling personnel and injure eight others during elections to the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council. Militants exploded an improvised explosive device and fired on polling personnel when they were returning after the close of voting.


June 15: The Bokajan police recover from an interior village in the Karbi Anglong district the dead body of a KLNLF cadre, Mirjeng Teron alias Bhupen Teron, who was abducted by at least six UPDS militants from his residence at Japarajan.

May 10: Two KLNLF cadres, 'corporal' Kolam Sing Engti and Babu Ram Teron, surrender at Diphu, headquarters of the Karbi Anglong district. They also deposited two 9 mm pistols and four rounds of ammunition. According to sources, the KLNLF, which has been set up in 1999 following the split in UPDS, has as many as 60 cadres currently.

March 31: Three ULFA cadres and one from the KLNLF surrender to the army at Diphu in the Karbi Anglong district along with an AK 47 rifle, two magazines, 67 rounds of cartridges, four hand grenades, one country-made revolver, one grenade and some detonators.

February 17: KLNLF releases three hostages, R.K. Chaudhury, Ramen Das and Bimal Das, it has been holding since January 22, somewhere near the Kaziranga National Park.


November 4: KLNLF calls a 10-hour general strike in the Karbi Anglong district to protest against the "military dominion perpetrated by the Indian colonial power upon the self governing territories of the North-east, including Karbi Anglong and NC Hills."

September 24: Suspected KLNLF militants attack the Bagori police outpost near Jakhalabanda in the Nagaon district.

September 12: Suspected KLNLF militants abduct three employees of the Bhagwati tea estate, under Santipur police station.

September 2: Four KLNLF cadres, one cadre each of the ULFA, NDFB and MULTA surrender before the army authorities at Misa camp near Nagaon.

August 18: Three KLNLF cadres are arrested from Doboka in the Naogaon district along with an AK-56 rifle, an AK-47 rifle and two hand grenades.

August 17: 14 people sustain injuries in a grenade attack by suspected KLNLF militants at Diphu town in the Karbi Anglong district.

August 9: The 'helper' of a truck dies as suspected KLNLF cadres ambush a convoy of six trucks plying from Hojai to Diphu at the Desobai area under Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong district.

June 15: The UPDS joint secretary W Mukhrang, in a statement, claims, "The KLNLF is a spent force which is engaged only in fratricidal killings."

May 27: Three persons are killed and three others sustain injuries in an ambush by the KLNLF on a passenger vehicle at Silveta under Howraghat police station in the Karbi Anglong district.

May 2: A KLNLF statement says that ‘general secretary’ Horsing Timung and four other cadres have been ‘executed’ by the outfit on April 29 at a camp in Bangladesh for having killed the outfit’s ‘commander-in-chief’ Willingson Timung in February 2005.

April 6: KLNLF militants abduct the proprietor of a tea estate at Bagori in the Nagaon district.

March 19: Six persons are injured as KLNLF militants lob a grenade in the heart of Diphu town of Karbi Anglong district.

March 15: Two KLNLF terrorists, including ‘area commander’ Lonki Teron, are killed in an encounter with the police in Diphu town, headquarters of the Karbi Anglong district.

March 1: One person is killed and seven others sustain injuries in a grenade attack by suspected KLNLF terrorists at a market in the Lahorijan area of Karbi Anglong district.

February 23: Willingson Timung, the KLNLF ‘commander-in-chief’ is killed along with two other cadres by cadres of his own outfit inside the Langlakso forest area.

February 21: Three KLNLF terrorists are arrested from the Kakojan village and four 12 bore SBBLs, a factory-made air gun, 12 live cartridges and 500 grams of explosives recovered from their possession.

January 13: Suspected KLNLF terrorists kill a 60-year-old woman at Diphu town in the Karbi Anglong district.

January 2: Karbi Longri North Cachar Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF) ‘general secretary’, H.S. Timung, is reported to have resigned from his post and the primary membership of the outfit, following serious differences of opinion with the outfit’s ‘Commander-in-Chief’, W Timung.


November 30: The KLNLF announces a weeklong campaign against the controversial December 4, 2000 pact, signed between Holiram Terang led faction of the Autonomous Sate Demand Committee (ASDC) and the Kuki National Assembly (KNA) that promises a separate ‘homeland’ to the minority Kuki tribe within the Karbi Anglong district.

November 12: 24 people are injured in a grenade attack by unidentified terrorists at Lanka in Nagaon district. Cadres of either the KLNLF or the DHD are suspected to be involved in the attack.

November 10: Altogether thirteen terrorists including six ULFA and seven KLNLF surrender before the Army at Missa in Nagaon district along with one AK-56 rifle, two hand grenades, one-pen pistols, one nine mm pistol and three SBBL guns.

November 2: Suspected KLNLF terrorists lob a grenade at a market near Bokajan town in Karbi Anglong district, seriously injuring one person.

Note:Compiled from news reports and are provisional.






Copyright © 2001 SATP. All rights reserved.